Indiana adds Saint Mary's (CA) grad transfer Evan Fitzner

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
6-10 stretch forward was 7th man for Gaels, averaging 5 points and 2.8 rebounds per game.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6-10 stretch forward was 7th man for Gaels, averaging 5 points and 2.8 rebounds per game.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Our GH posters would be screaming bloody murder if Pitino took that one....:)

Fills a need for Hoosiers. Gophers certainly don't need any more bigs.

Stull fills a need (shooter, CG). Let's go get him, we're running out of whiffs.

Stull fills a need (shooter, CG). Let's go get him, we're running out of whiffs.

Yeah, and the fact that he didn't start doesn't mean much as St. Mary's primary big man was one of the most efficient big men in the country.

No, I get that they would have never gone after a big. I am talking about Indiana taking the 7th man from St Mary's and a guy that averaged 5 points a game. We had posters here complaining about Willis who averaged 5 points per game as a soph for Vandy

No, I get that they would have never gone after a big. I am talking about Indiana taking the 7th man from St Mary's and a guy that averaged 5 points a game. We had posters here complaining about Willis who averaged 5 points per game as a soph for Vandy

Well, the starter, Jock Londale, is a junior who averaged 21.1 pts. and 10.2 rbs. a game. He had a player efficiency rating of 33.7, one of the very highest in the nation. His true shooting percentage was .668.

Fitzner's true shooting percentage was .598 (pretty darn good - only Lynch on our team was better) and his player efficiency rating was a respectable 14.0 (only Murphy, Mason, Coffey, and Lynch on our team were higher than that). Willis' numbers were .508 and 10 respectively.

Obviously, Indiana felt this guy projected to be a pretty decent rotation player.

Why don't you do a little homework before shooting your mouth off? It's really easy these days.

I think at least part of the complaining about Willis has to do with the fact that he has to sit out next year while we still have pretty glaring needs in the backcourt. Plus, it’s a little different when you are talking about a grad transfer in general. If they suck at least they only tied up a scholarship for one year

As others have said, the standard for sit out transfers really should be much higher than the performance Willis has shown through 2 college seasons. He could potentially tie up a scholarship for 3 seasons and there is nothing (other than his ranking coming out of HS) to suggest this will work out well.

We do need bodies, and Pitino was clearly high on him, so maybe this will work out. But the skepticism is legit.

I think at least part of the complaining about Willis has to do with the fact that he has to sit out next year while we still have pretty glaring needs in the backcourt. Plus, it’s a little different when you are talking about a grad transfer in general. If they suck at least they only tied up a scholarship for one year

Complaints about Willis are only legit if Pitino fails to fill the scholarships he has for this year with depth at the guard position. Nobody goes 13 deep.

Again to review the roster:

C- Oturo/Stockman
PF- Murphy/Curry/Omersa
SF-Coffey/Hurt
SG- McBrayer/Kalscheur/___________
PG- IW /_______

If we can fill those two blanks , that lineup would have more solid depth than any we have had for a long time. Considering that Kalscheur might be able to play the 2 or 3 and that Curry can play the 4 or 5, I think we would be in very good shape- even with Willis sitting out.

Complaints about Willis are only legit if Pitino fails to fill the scholarships he has for this year with depth at the guard position. Nobody goes 13 deep.

C- Oturo/Stockman
PF- Murphy/Curry/Omersa
SF-Coffey/Hurt
PG- IW /_______

If we can fill those two blanks , that lineup would have more solid depth than any we have had for a long time. Considering that Kalscheur might be able to play the 2 or 3 and that Curry can play the 4 or 5, I think we would be in very good shape- even with Willis sitting out.

I'm with you but there are a lot of question marks in that rotation beyond the blanks. I won't be guilty of over confidence heading into the season.

C- Oturo/Stockman
PF- Murphy/Curry/Omersa
SF-Coffey/Hurt
PG- IW /_______

Agree those two blanks must be filled. When it comes to Willis, he may have not been used properly by the two different coaches he had in two years at Vandy. Also some good mojo may come from the fact that he and Curry are friends. This relationship may have positive effects on both Willis and Curry and also the team.

C- Oturo/Stockman
PF- Murphy/Curry/Omersa
SF-Coffey/Hurt
PG- IW /_______

This is the best, simplest, and most accurate depiction of our roster for next season. The main debate here is whether Curry ends up starting at center. Only time will tell. The main point is to show the glaring need for another PG. Yes, McBrayer and perhaps even Coffey could pick up minutes, but that is not ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with you but there are a lot of question marks in that rotation beyond the blanks. I won't be guilty of over confidence heading into the season.

Would you agree that the question marks that you correctly refer to relate more to concerns about lingering injuries than ability? I can see where people would be concerned on Oturo, Curry, McBrayer and Coffey being healthy. But otherwise this is a really strong nucleus. I have more confidence that Oturo will be a big factor than some here. He is the highest rated recruit at his position we have had in a while and I see no reason that he cannot contribute at the level Coffey did his first year or Murphy.

This +19 (with respect to Station19).

Simply too many question marks on the current roster. It's a lot more than just simply filling the blanks (though Pitino very much must accomplish that before September). Injuries (Coffey, McBrayer, Curry, Oturu), unproven at B1G level (Hurt, Stockman), youth (Oturu, Kalscheur, Omersa), etc. ..

Would you agree that the question marks that you correctly refer to relate more to concerns about lingering injuries than ability? I can see where people would be concerned on Oturo, Curry, McBrayer and Coffey being healthy. But otherwise this is a really strong nucleus. I have more confidence that Oturo will be a big factor than some here. He is the highest rated recruit at his position we have had in a while and I see no reason that he cannot contribute at the level Coffey did his first year or Murphy.

Not just injuries. Not even close. I don't have real high expectations for this team and I'm not even thinking about the injuries. Pretty much everyone (except maybe Oturu) should be 100% going into the season.
1. We really have no way of knowing how fast Oturu/Omersa/Kalscheur will adapt to the college game. Maybe one or two of them will, but it is highly unlikely that all three will be ready for even just significant minutes off the bench.
2. Curry was solid as a freshman, but people really seem to have a selective memory with him. I thought he looked very promising, but for us to be successful next year we will likely need him to be really good on a consistent basis. It remains to be seen if he can do that, injury or not.
3. Is Washington ready to take over as the starting PG? Again, we saw flashes, but he has to take the next step.
4. Can Hurt even be a reliable backup? He'll have to improve over the summer if he's going to be. It's great that he is supposedly a really good three point shooter, but he needs to actually step up and do it in games for it to be worth anything.
5. Need to add at least one more guard who can play next year, which has been discussed plenty already.

Top Bottom