Fox9: Whalen Begins Double Duty

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.fox9.com/sports/lindsay-whalen-begins-double-duty-as-player-and-coach

“Now when she comes in here, she’s not coming in here as just a player executing the drills, she’s kind of understanding the why, the how, the when, when to leave a drill, you know, how to make a drill better,” said Reeve. “The other day, we were running a drill, right in the middle of the drill she came over and said, ‘I need that one.’”

“Now I’ll probably be asking her lots of questions and be listening even more than I had before,” said Whalen. “Not that I wasn’t listening before, but I’ll be listening more and asking even more questions. That’s the great thing about this is I’m here every day learning from her. Should be a pretty good transition into the fall and into the season.”

https://zonecoverage.com/2018/lynx/whalen-learning-how-to-balance-life-as-a-player-and-coach/
Zone Coverage; Mitchell Hansen:

Sunday was a busy day for Lindsay Whalen.

The Minnesota Lynx point guard kicked off the day at the University of Minnesota, her new — yet old — home as the head coach of the Gophers’ women’s basketball team.

Whalen then made the drive over to The Courts at Mayo Clinic Square and the Lynx practice facility, where she kicked off the 15th training camp of her decorated WNBA career.

Once practice ended and Whalen met with the media, she ended up changing hats once again, getting ready to go have dinner with a recruit in hopes of having that player join Whalen’s squad with the Gophers.

Such is the new, busy life for Whalen, who will attempt to play in the WNBA and be a Big Ten head coach at the same time in 2018...

...“It was kind of funny (Sunday), she was all jazzed up and had her nice little outfit on. She was like ‘I got a recruit coming in today’ and I was like ‘OK coach Wheezy,'” Seimone Augustus said. “Then you see her on the floor and it is straight intensity, and was the Lindsay Whalen that we know and the point guard that has been leading us on championship runs. It was kind of funny, but it’s the same person.”

She couldn't have gone a more perfect scenario to be a pro player and a college head coach. She is fifteen minutes away to her office at the U from the Lynx training facility. She must live close by like Fleck and Pitino too.

She has Reeves who is a perfect mentor/advisor.

She couldn't have gone a more perfect scenario to be a pro player and a college head coach. She is fifteen minutes away to her office at the U from the Lynx training facility. She must live close by like Fleck and Pitino too.

She has Reeves who is a perfect mentor/advisor.

Truth be told, Whalen playing in the WNBA this year can only be a bonus for potential recruits. How can you get any more relevant of a connection to the next level than having you coach be a current player and major contributor on a championship team?

I'm hoping this is somewhat of a victory tour for Lindsey and that next season is when she goes full-time. Either way there is easily more hype with this program than there has been in recent history.....well since Lindsey was leading the team to the Final Four.

Top Bottom