All Things Tyler Wahl Recruitment Thread (Class of 2019) Gophers Offered

Lakeville North could just as well be a suburb of Madison. Sure makes it easy to cheer against them no matter the sport.

Honestly surprised it took this long, all signs pointed to him wanting to be a badger from the get go and that all he was waiting for was the offer. Badgers of developed quite the pipeline with Lakeville.

Honestly surprised it took this long, all signs pointed to him wanting to be a badger from the get go and that all he was waiting for was the offer. Badgers of developed quite the pipeline with Lakeville.

When you have d bag Ruevers whispering in his ear, what do you expect.

When you have d bag Ruevers whispering in his ear, what do you expect.

It runs deeper than that. Even Macura wanted to be badger himself but never got the offer. The staff and parents at Lakeville all really positive of the Wisconsin program. Rumor has it there is a Wisconsin alum that is well connected to the basketball community in Lakeville that pushes/sells the Badger program to the parents and kids at an early age.

I really couldn't care less. Wahl's not that special of a recruit, plain and simple. Not a huge miss here. Aside from that though, I'm at the point now that I don't care to waste my time paying attention (or salivating) over any one high school basketball recruit. I just hope Pitino makes good judgement and lures good talent and I'll support those who want to be Gophers when their time comes to don the Maroon and Gold. That being said Nnaji, Dainja, Carlson, and Garcia are some nice players and if they choose to be Gophers, great! If not I'm not sweating it at all, haha.

A pipeline? One kid (Reuvers) is a pipeline?

Bryce Benhart will also likely be a Badger. Its a very friendly Badger school and not just for sports, but their basketball team plays in the Badger team camp every year and rarely comes to the Gopher team camp.

He's dead to me.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This in-state recruiting is a flat-out embarrassment. There has to be more to this. You have to really try to miss on this this many quality recruits since Pitino has been here. Who did Pitino piss off?

This in-state recruiting is a flat-out embarrassment. There has to be more to this. You have to really try to miss on this this many quality recruits since Pitino has been here. Who did Pitino piss off?

You might wanna get yourself checked for Alzheimer's.

Yeah embarrassing for sure. I mean King, Lynch, Johnson, Coffey, Hurt, Kalscheur, Omersa, Oturu and maybe a new one in the next few weeks. Oh wait those are all Minnesota kids that Pitino DID land.

He killed the 2018 class.

Pitino absolutely whiffed on the 2017 class, which was arguably the most talented MN high school basketball class ever. Trent Jr, Reuvers, Davison, Thompson, and Sims all left MN. Already missed out on Terry and Wahl, and no way they land Matthew Hurt. Minnesota high school basketball has been getting better but a lot of the top talent is leaving the state.

per Jace:

Another Lakeville North basketball player is heading to Wisconsin.

Tyler Wahl, who will be senior in the fall, announced his commitment to the Badgers on Thursday. The four-star recruit averaged 17.2 points, 12 rebounds and 5.6 assists in his junior year at Lakeville North. The 6-foot-7 forward had also reported offers from Iowa State, Northwestern and the Gophers.

Wahl is the second Lakeville North player to commit to Wisconsin in three years. Nathan Reuvers just completed his freshman season for the Badgers, serving as a valuable role player off the bench. Like Wahl, Reuvers had an offer from Minnesota.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/06/...tyler-wahl-commits-to-wisconsin-over-gophers/

Go Gophers!!

Pitino absolutely whiffed on the 2017 class, which was arguably the most talented MN high school basketball class ever. Trent Jr, Reuvers, Davison, Thompson, and Sims all left MN. Already missed out on Terry and Wahl, and no way they land Matthew Hurt. Minnesota high school basketball has been getting better but a lot of the top talent is leaving the state.

If you include Race Thompson, there were 7 in-state recruits who ended up playing at the high major level. We had 2 scholarships for that class, and one of them went to the highest rated out of state prospect we’ve gotten since Devoe Joseph and Ralph Sampson in 2008. We also ended up getting Marcus Carr, who was a composite top 150 2017 recruit, in a roundabout way. Both of those guys will likely be major contributors, so I have a tough time calling the 2017 recruiting class a disaster.

With Washington and Carr, we will have a junior and a red shirt sophomore at point guard in Tyrell Terry’s freshman year. PG just doesn’t seem like a big need for us in 2019.

As for Wahl, it’s still somewhat early in the recruiting cycle, there’s time for us to get a prospect just as good. He just got his first high major offer two months ago. I’m interested to see where out of state recruiting goes for us as the summer goes on.

Whoever is saying they don't want him for the Gophers should go back in time and make their pitch to Coach Pitino before he offered him a scholarship.

One way or another, this pipeline situation is at least a little depressing. LN is going to continue to pump out D1 talent, and once again our strategy still seems to be to wait for Wisconsin to recede as a program so that the bloom goes off the rose for these recruits.

Take a Xanax. Wahl by all accounts never seriously considered Minnesota. Tyrell Terry always considered Stanford his dream school. Miss out on quality recruits?? I guess Coffey, Jarvis Johnson, Oturu, Omersa, Kalscheur and others don't count. Sure, missing out on Sims, McKinley Wright and Theo John hurt, but there were only 2 schollies to work with at the time. Wright was set to commit before IW took his spot, it is what it is.

Nate Reuvers wouldn't have played last year, except half of Wisconsin's team was hurt. He got better by the end of the season, but I'll be surprised if he's ever a major contributor. I'll eat the crow if I'm wrong, but his skill set also isn't a fit with Pitino's system.

How about we wait to see who Pitino gets from this class before we set the building on fire? Every resource they have is being dedicated to getting Matthew Hurt, and if it happens, nobody cares about Wahl. I'm one of the few who happens to think the Gophers have a very good shot. It's between us and Kansas in my opinion. He can play wherever he wants and will be drafted, so it's a matter of if he wants to stay home.

There are always going to be kids who just don't want to go to school so close to home and don't want mom and dad 30 minutes away. They want to get away. Some kids want to be close enough to home where mom and dad can come to some games but not be overbearing.

I think we benefit from this a lot in football. All things considered we are a fairly similar program to Northwestern and Illinois, Northwestern might even have better facilities than us, but kids come up to Minneapolis, get a change of scenery, see that it's drivable, but not too close, and commit. Some kids just want to not be 20 minutes from where they grew up...

Right now our basketball team is in a better position than Wisconsin. This doesn't change that.

Whoever is saying they don't want him for the Gophers should go back in time and make their pitch to Coach Pitino before he offered him a scholarship.

One way or another, this pipeline situation is at least a little depressing. LN is going to continue to pump out D1 talent, and once again our strategy still seems to be to wait for Wisconsin to recede as a program so that the bloom goes off the rose for these recruits.

Pitino’s offer: Schools make several offers to players that are not their first choice, and not all offers are up to the player to accept.

Pipeline comments: Minnesota is producing more and more D1 caliber players. The U doesn’t have room for all of them and not all of them fit Pitino’s style of play. Some of the players that are farther down on the Gophers pecking order will choose to go some place else, and many times that will be sooner than the Gophers get their players. That all leads to the mistaken impression that the U is losing all of the Minnesota recruits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seems that Minnesota white boys love themselves some skunk....

There are always going to be kids who just don't want to go to school so close to home and don't want mom and dad 30 minutes away. They want to get away. Some kids want to be close enough to home where mom and dad can come to some games but not be overbearing.

I think we benefit from this a lot in football. All things considered we are a fairly similar program to Northwestern and Illinois, Northwestern might even have better facilities than us, but kids come up to Minneapolis, get a change of scenery, see that it's drivable, but not too close, and commit. Some kids just want to not be 20 minutes from where they grew up...

Right now our basketball team is in a better position than Wisconsin. This doesn't change that.

We are?!?

Top Bottom