9-3 tell me I’m wrong

Let’s bring it back.

SDSU - really good program...if the gophers were playing them two years ago this is a toss up...Too much firepower from the offense. They won’t be able to put up 20, and the gophers will. Win by 15-22 points.

@Fresno - last year Fresno was possibly better than Minnesota. This year they are not. Win by 8-14 points.

Georgia Southern - clock will run and shorten this game, keeping it somewhat close but not really in doubt. Win by 10-17 points

@Purdue - gophers should’ve won in W Lafayette two years ago and dominated last year. Sindelar is vastly overrated in my opinion and Purdue is the clear 6th best team in the west. I also predict Purdue is 1-2 entering this game. Win by 1-10 points.

Illinois - revenge game. Illinois is sneaky I think, but they’ll be sneakier at home than on the road. They have a good offense but their defense is awful. Illinois hasn’t won in Minneapolis since 2009, and it stays that way. Win by 8-14 points.

Nebraska - Nebraska has a really good offense. People look at the score last year and see blowout but forget that Minnesota had a touchdown called back early and also cut it to one score late first half. This could be a loss but I’m saying Win by 1-7 points.

@ Rutgers - my hot take for the year is that Maryland, not Rutgers gets last place in the East. This game isn’t the reason why though. No lapses this year. If gophers lose to Nebraska they’ll be refocused knowing they can’t lose another and contend. If they beat Nebraska they know if they take care of business they’ll have great opportunities. Rutgers offense is awful. This is a blowout. Minnesota by 19+.

Maryland - I honestly think Maryland has the worst coach in FBS football. Win by 19+.

Penn state - penn state I actually believe to be more overrated this preseason than Nebraska. This year. J Franklin is 14-12 as the Penn State coach without McSorely. When McSorely was banged up last year in small chunks of games we saw a preview of how inept their offense will be next year. I see Penn State finishing behind Indiana next year. Win by 6-13 points.

@ Iowa - I think Iowa goes 11-1 next year with their one loss being to @ Michigan. Loss by 7-14.

@ Northwestern - I see northwestern starting slow and then figuring it out next year. Their first 8 games are brutal and they will start 4-4 at best...however, they’ll have their quarterback broken in by the end of the season and will be a tough out for anyone in November. Loss by 1-7 points.

Wisconsin - dog fight. We win. Going streaking.

If we win @Fresno we won’t win less than 6 regular season games.
If we win @ Purdue we won’t win less than 7 regular season games.
If we win at home against nebraska we won’t win less than 9.

Nebraska - Nebraska has a really good offense. People look at the score last year and see blowout but forget that Minnesota had a touchdown called back early and also cut it to one score late first half. This could be a loss but I’m saying Win by 1-7 points.

Love your summary. Well-reasoned!

One thing, though; the Gophers pulled to within 6 points in the Nebraska game, but it was the middle of the third quarter (7:22 to go in the 3rd when Seth Green scores).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPftpzgWAlg&t=6030s

Last edited:

Watch, we’ll beat SDSU 21-14 with them having the ball, driving for the game tying TD and our defense holds.

You watch then, people will be breaking down the doors here to say how we’re only going to win three games this year. That’s how it goes on the ‘Hole. Lot of loud-mouths, who probably never played a down of football in their lives.

Meanwhile SDSU swill go on to another top 4 finish in FCS, not that anyone here will give a crap or have the slightest clue what that means.

Why are people posting about 2019 in a pre-season 2018 thread? What is happening?

Carry on

Watch, we’ll beat SDSU 21-14 with them having the ball, driving for the game tying TD and our defense holds.

You watch then, people will be breaking down the doors here to say how we’re only going to win three games this year. That’s how it goes on the ‘Hole. Lot of loud-mouths, who probably never played a down of football in their lives.

Meanwhile SDSU swill go on to another top 4 finish in FCS, not that anyone here will give a crap or have the slightest clue what that means.

It would mean that they are one of the four best teams in a lower tier of football.

9-3 brotha.
9-3 is my guess as well. I understand that media and others are not confident because Fleck does not have an established, dominant QB or even a starter named yet. I think whoever is named the starter will do just fine this year with the weapons on offense spreading the field.

NMSU - big W
Fresno - small W
Ohio - medium W
@ Maryland - small W
Iowa - small W
@ Ohio State - big L
@ Nebraska - small L
Indiana - small W
@ Illinois - medium W
Purdue - small W
Northwestern - small W
@ Wisconsin - medium L

Honestly I think we lose @ Wisconsin while playing for a share of the Big Ten West

By probability and statistics you’re probably wrong. Although I hope you’re right.

So for 2018, Some Guy predicted 9-3 and we went 6-6.

Now for 2019, he's predicting 10-2. I guess that means we're going 7-5 this season.

When you break it down, I see the season in four sections:

1) Non-conf -- I am cautiously predicting 3-0.
2) @Purdue/Ill/Neb -- very doubtful we'll go 3-0 here. Not sure if 2-1 or 1-2. Purdue will be out for blood. Don't know how good Ill or Neb will be this year yet. Both smoked us last year, but folks here will tell you those don't count because now we're Rossi-fied. We'll see
3) @Rutgers/Maryland -- on the road is always tough, but you'd like to hope we can find a way to win, and we owe Maryland a loss. Cautiously predicting 2-0.
4) Penn St/@Iowa/@NW/Wisc -- brutal stretch. My big thing here, and for the season too ... don't get embarrassed in any of these games. No games like NW 2017. Keep them close. Keep them winnable. Could see anything from 0-4 to 2-2.

And of course all of these are on paper, with no injuries or anything really out of the ordinary that changes the teams drastically.

So if you say, 3-0, 1-2, 2-0, 1-3 .... that's 7-5.

2) @Purdue/Ill/Neb -- very doubtful we'll go 3-0 here. Not sure if 2-1 or 1-2. Purdue will be out for blood. Don't know how good Ill or Neb will be this year yet. Both smoked us last year, but folks here will tell you those don't count because now we're Rossi-fied. We'll see
3) @Rutgers/Maryland -- on the road is always tough, but you'd like to hope we can find a way to win, and we owe Maryland a loss. Cautiously predicting 2-0.
4) Penn St/@Iowa/@NW/Wisc -- brutal stretch. My big thing here, and for the season too ... don't get embarrassed in any of these games. No games like NW 2017. Keep them close. Keep them winnable. Could see anything from 0-4 to 2-2.

And of course all of these are on paper, with no injuries or anything really out of the ordinary that changes the teams drastically.

You have Penn State overrated as does most of the country. If we go 1-3 in the last 4 it will be pretty disappointing because Penn State, Wisconsin, and Northwestern are all going to be above average at best next year. Granted, I only have them 2-2 in that stretch.

If we can’t go 4-1 or 5-0 in this middle game, it means we aren’t very good and we should all be concerned that we aren’t very good in year 3.

It could happen that way. If you're right, the stadium will be half-empty and recruiting will suffer.

Why are people making confident predictions re 2019 in a thread they were dead wrong about 2018? ��

Interesting. Gophs led inside 2 minutes to go @ Purdue in 2017. That was absolutely a winnable game.

You must have much more faith in Brohm and staff than Fleck and staff. You must think Purdue's win over OSU as less of a surprise than Goph's over Purdue. You must rate Purdue's loss @ home to Wisconsin higher than Gophs win @ Wisconsin. Purdue got completely dominated in its bowl game; Gophs dominated in its bowl game. Purdue went 1-3 in its last four games in 2018; Gophs went 3-1.

It could happen that way. If you're right, the stadium will be half-empty and recruiting will suffer.

Attendance and recruiting will both improve over this past year.

That makes logical sense, as factually a 7-5 record is an improvement over 6-6.

If there are fans too thick skulled to accept that, then good riddance!

Interesting. Gophs led inside 2 minutes to go @ Purdue in 2017. That was absolutely a winnable game.

You must have much more faith in Brohm and staff than Fleck and staff. You must think Purdue's win over OSU as less of a surprise than Goph's over Purdue. You must rate Purdue's loss @ home to Wisconsin higher than Gophs win @ Wisconsin. Purdue got completely dominated in its bowl game; Gophs dominated in its bowl game. Purdue went 1-3 in its last four games in 2018; Gophs went 3-1.

If it were that easy to correlate past results to future results, you’d be rich in Vegas. But you’re not.

All I’m saying is that a loss @Purdue does not prove we had a mediocre season.

Attendance and recruiting will both improve over this past year.

That makes logical sense, as factually a 7-5 record is an improvement over 6-6.

If there are fans too thick skulled to accept that, then good riddance!

Pretty broad statement. Care to be more specific?

Top Bottom