9-3 tell me I’m wrong

So much optimism. Felt that way before Maryland and their 3rd string QB came here last year.

I think the Gophers are better this year. Still see them as a 6-7 win team. Catch some breaks and it could be 8. 9 still seems unlikely...but we'll see how Iowa stacks up against a good team

This. /thread

ALSO, to count Purdue, Indiana, even Illinois (yes I know) as wins .... chickens, eggs, counting before hatching. Just not a smart move. Be patient
Why is it not smart for me to count them as wins? It has zero impact on the results.

Why is it not smart for me to count them as wins? It has zero impact on the results.

YOU specifically can do whatever you want. Walk around in the street in your underwear. That won't affect what actually happens either.

But my general sentiment, particularly for the team, is correct.

I think 12-0. But I'm in Washington and we have legal weed.

Actually 9 wins is possible but optimistic. In my thinking, football is still a line game and grinding out a B1G schedule with a young line is hard. The physical maturity of 18-19 year olds vs 21-22 year olds is substantial. Young lines haven't had serious college level training, and simply don't have the maturity and wiles. Big dreams can devolve to struggling to merely survive the grind.

We'll see. Lots of factors involved, including luck, but I'm thinking 6 to 8 wins.

Where in Washington? I moved there just over a year ago.

ESPN FPI has Minnesota finishing 9-3

I can see it after last week, but I need to see them beat Maryland before I allow myself to get carried away here

You are not wrong. The thing is they change these percentages every week as they get more data and injuries/improvements occur. Basically all it reflects is what ESPN (whoever that is?) thinks would happen if every remaining game was played this week. In fairness it could be inaccurate in EITHER direction at this point

I fall in the "don't tempt fate" category. 50 years as a Gopher fan will do that to you. When I see people talking about "likely" wins or even worse, "sure" wins, I just know the gods of football are waiting to strike, and show Gopher fans what happens when you tempt fate.

Situations can change so much from week to week - injuries for the Gophers - injuries to future opponents- that it is very difficult (IMHO) to really predict what is going to happen in a game that won't be played for 5 or 6 weeks.

Realistically, there are a few games on the schedule each year that you can pencil in as a loss or a win. But, every now and then, one of those games goes the other way.

So, I don't know what the Gophers' record is going to be this season. I won't know until the season is over. I know they play Maryland this Saturday. that's it.

I fall in the "don't tempt fate" category. 50 years as a Gopher fan will do that to you. When I see people talking about "likely" wins or even worse, "sure" wins, I just know the gods of football are waiting to strike, and show Gopher fans what happens when you tempt fate.

Situations can change so much from week to week - injuries for the Gophers - injuries to future opponents- that it is very difficult (IMHO) to really predict what is going to happen in a game that won't be played for 5 or 6 weeks.

Realistically, there are a few games on the schedule each year that you can pencil in as a loss or a win. But, every now and then, one of those games goes the other way.

So, I don't know what the Gophers' record is going to be this season. I won't know until the season is over. I know they play Maryland this Saturday. that's it.

I appreciate your posts but I think you vastly overestimate the impact you have on the outcome of games.

YOU specifically can do whatever you want. Walk around in the street in your underwear. That won't affect what actually happens either.

But my general sentiment, particularly for the team, is correct.

No your general sentiment is correct for you not the team. Unless you became part of the staff.

What people think on a message board means nothing. You being a wet blanket because you dont want to be optimistic is fine for you but doesnt make you as smart as you think it does.

I appreciate your posts but I think you vastly overestimate the impact you have on the outcome of games.

Are you saying that the reason the team wins or loses isnt because I wear a specific jersey or watch the game from the same chair each week? HOW DARE YOU SIR!!!

"Tempting Fate" and blaming the football Gods is hilarious to me. Yeah I am sure some weird invisible "God of Football" is switching the outcomes of games because of the comments of the fanbases involved. Meanwhile amazingly the teams that win a lot have fans that make the same comments and their teams dont suffer the same fate. Funny how that works it is almost like it is full on BS.

Are you saying that the reason the team wins or loses isnt because I wear a specific jersey or watch the game from the same chair each week? HOW DARE YOU SIR!!!

"Tempting Fate" and blaming the football Gods is hilarious to me. Yeah I am sure some weird invisible "God of Football" is switching the outcomes of games because of the comments of the fanbases involved. Meanwhile amazingly the teams that win a lot have fans that make the same comments and their teams dont suffer the same fate. Funny how that works it is almost like it is full on BS.

Fans of teams that have been poor/mediocre for a long time grasp at nonsense like "recruiting rankings don't matter" and invoke things like "fate" in an attempt to avoid the unavoidable fact that their team just isn't very good. There's a poster on here (I won't name names) who frequently says things like "the football gods" or "the sports gods" in an attempt to explain why the Gophers, Twins, T-wolves, etc. just aren't very good.

I see a ton of posts chastising people for saying "easy win" and they tell them not to be so confident. I'm going out on a limb here: none of us play for the gophers, or coach the gophers, or in any way, shape or form, interact with the team on a daily bases. Therefore, what I say here, doesn't matter.

I think the Gophers will win @ Maryland. I think they win by two scores. They should go in confidently and just beat them. This will not change how the coaches coach, or the players play.

Fans of teams that have been poor/mediocre for a long time grasp at nonsense like "recruiting rankings don't matter" and invoke things like "fate" in an attempt to avoid the unavoidable fact that their team just isn't very good. There's a poster on here (I won't name names) who frequently says things like "the football gods" or "the sports gods" in an attempt to explain why the Gophers, Twins, T-wolves, etc. just aren't very good.

+1000. Example: the Cardinals and Lions aren’t cursed. They’ve both had the same sh!tty families owning them since the beginning of time.

Dave H is so right.

Minnesota fans are notorious bandwagon jumpers and fair weather fans. Gee, ya think that might have something to do with it??? There’s the need for a culture shift.

I can say with all honesty that since I reconnected with Gopher football 20 years ago, it’s the only sports team I really care for. Might pay off for me someday, might not. I’m still that unwavering fan.

Re: this thread --

In the word's of our true freshman walk on QB: "Isn't this fun?"

What people think on a message board means nothing.

It's not something I made up, or take credit for inventing. Every coach in America, Fleck included, will tell you that you can't look past the next team.

Pretty elementary stuff. So, I was and remain correct.

Has anybody given OP credit for calling the first three games correctly, not just the 'w' but the 's' 'm' and 'l'?

9-3 must be right :cool:

I'm not sure who you are referencing here but I know I have used the term "football gods" several times before, most recently when Rodney Smith got hurt. I think for most people it is meant to be a joke.

Has anybody given OP credit for calling the first three games correctly, not just the 'w' but the 's' 'm' and 'l'?

9-3 must be right :cool:

Well, it says NMSU was a big win and Miami was a medium win. And it calls Miami as "Ohio". But otherwise, so far so good!

Actually 9 wins is possible but optimistic. In my thinking, football is still a line game and grinding out a B1G schedule with a young line is hard. The physical maturity of 18-19 year olds vs 21-22 year olds is substantial. Young lines haven't had serious college level training, and simply don't have the maturity and wiles. Big dreams can devolve to struggling to merely survive the grind.

We'll see. Lots of factors involved, including luck, but I'm thinking 6 to 8 wins.

Weyler is a fifth year senior. Greene is a fifth year senior. Olson is a third year sophomore who turned 20 back in May. Schlueter is a third year sophomore who turned 21 in August. There are no 18-19 year olds on the o-line.

OJ Smith is a fifth year guy, Moore is a fifth year guy, DeLattiboudere is a fourth year guy, Coughlin is a junior who turned 21. There are no young guys on the dline.

ESPN FPI has Minnesota finishing 9-3

I can see it after last week, but I need to see them beat Maryland before I allow myself to get carried away here

Actually, ESPN doesn't predict them to go 9-3. They predict them to finish with between 7 and 8 wins, so either 7-5 or 8-4. ESPN gives them a better than 50% chance of winning in 6 of the 9 games left (although it's barely above 50% for one of them) but that's not the same thing as predicting you will win all 6 of them. Chances are you will lose at least one.

Weyler is a fifth year senior. Greene is a fifth year senior. Olson is a third year sophomore who turned 20 back in May. Schlueter is a third year sophomore who turned 21 in August. There are no 18-19 year olds on the o-line.

OJ Smith is a fifth year guy, Moore is a fifth year guy, DeLattiboudere is a fourth year guy, Coughlin is a junior who turned 21. There are no young guys on the dline.
Did you forget Andries? You can spin it however you want, but the simple fact is we have two sophomores and a freshman starting on the oline and then freshman backing up the two on the right side.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

This. /thread

ALSO, to count Purdue, Indiana, even Illinois (yes I know) as wins .... chickens, eggs, counting before hatching. Just not a smart move. Be patient

You're doing it wrong.

Doing "/thread" then making another point defeats the purpose of typing "/thread".

It's not something I made up, or take credit for inventing. Every coach in America, Fleck included, will tell you that you can't look past the next team.

You're wrong.

No one on this message board thought you invented the concept. Everyone knows you're applying it incorrectly to fans on a message board rather than the players/coaches.

Coaches say it to their players so they don't overlook an opponent. You know the players, the ones who actually play the game? If you overlook an opponent, it means nothing. If you stayed up all night studying Maryland, taking them very seriously, it would mean absolutely nothing. That line of thinking (not overlooking opponents) obviously does not apply to fans, the fact that you are having a hard time figuring that out is kind of odd.

Actually, ESPN doesn't predict them to go 9-3. They predict them to finish with between 7 and 8 wins, so either 7-5 or 8-4. ESPN gives them a better than 50% chance of winning in 6 of the 9 games left (although it's barely above 50% for one of them) but that's not the same thing as predicting you will win all 6 of them. Chances are you will lose at least one.

We may lose one of the ones we should win, but we also could win one of the ones we get less than a 50% chance of winning.

You're wrong.

No one on this message board thought you invented the concept. Everyone knows you're applying it incorrectly to fans on a message board rather than the players/coaches.

Coaches say it to their players so they don't overlook an opponent. You know the players, the ones who actually play the game? If you overlook an opponent, it means nothing. If you stayed up all night studying Maryland, taking them very seriously, it would mean absolutely nothing. That line of thinking (not overlooking opponents) obviously does not apply to fans, the fact that you are having a hard time figuring that out is kind of odd.

Given g4l posting history, not odd to me at all.

The games I Feel comfortable calling L’s are the ones where we have a distinct disadvantage in line play O and D lines. So Iowa Wisconsin Ohio st. I feel we have a very real shot to beat everyone else. I my prediction is 8 and 4 or 7 and 5 barring injuries. Next year we get to 9

You are right we should all never think we might win a game cause the team might lose. Incidentally I have a lucky penny that I am looking to sell off...interested in buying it?

Again just cause you say you are correct doesnt actually make you correct.

But if you can tell me how me thinking the Gophers will win on Saturday will somehow actually stop them from winning with any sort of real proof I will admit you are correct. Until then, I will just go with you are speaking out of your blow hole and are wet blanket. You just cant stand that people might actually feel good about the team so you go contrarian on the bit and pretend you are wiser than everyone because you are a pessimist.

Did you forget Andries? You can spin it however you want, but the simple fact is we have two sophomores and a freshman starting on the oline and then freshman backing up the two on the right side.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Andries turned 20 in July. My guess is if a guard went down, Dovich, a fourth year junior, is next man up. If a tackle went down, my guess is Oseland, a fourth year junior, is next man up.

On a dream for the sake of dreaming, Wednesday, just think where we would get ranked if we win our next three.

NMSU - big W
Fresno - small W
Ohio - medium W

@ Maryland - small W
Iowa - small W
@ Ohio State -

@ Nebraska
Indiana
@ Illinois
Purdue
Northwestern
@ Wisconsin