9-3 tell me I’m wrong

6-6

Like previous seasons, we're "rebuilding" and will have to break-in a new QB. We'll probably win one that will give everyone hope, but lose badly to WI and IA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly having even below average quarterback play puts them over the top in a few losses last year

9-3

9-3 = A
8-4 = B
7-5 = C
6-6 = D
6> = F

There were a couple of games last year that were toss ups (Maryland home, Purdue away) that fell the wrong way.

Maybe we get the karma the other way and get 2 out of 3 versus Iowa, Purdue, Northwestern for an 8-5 finish. 8 wins is a successful year for me. 7 is a passing grade.

I would give 7-5 a solid B

Sure losses: Wisc. OSU
Sure wins: Miami OH, NMSU, Illinois
should win: Indiana, Fresno St, Maryland
toss up - tougher than the three directly above, but not great: Iowa, Northwestern, Purdue (not year Zero anymore for Brohm, maybe a sure loss), Nebraska (in Year Zero though)

This looks like an 8-4 or 7-5 team if the coaches can develop any of the talent and build some confidence on offense in camp and during the early part of the season.

Sure losses: Wisc. OSU
Sure wins: Miami OH, NMSU, Illinois
should win: Indiana, Fresno St, Maryland
toss up - tougher than the three directly above, but not great: Iowa, Northwestern, Purdue (not year Zero anymore for Brohm, maybe a sure loss), Nebraska (in Year Zero though)

This looks like an 8-4 or 7-5 team if the coaches can develop any of the talent and build some confidence on offense in camp and during the early part of the season.

*Illinois belongs in the "should win" category as the game is in Champaign
*Fresno State belongs in the "toss up" category
*Maryland belongs in the "toss up" category as the game is in College Park

Are you kidding? The Gophers are undefeated in College Park! :)

The road intimidation factor at Northwestern is non-existent, and the based upon what I have seen watching a lot of Maryland home games on the BTN is that the crowd there is almost as much as a passive non-factor as the white haired, whine and cheese crowd at Northwestern (they do have some smoking hot cheerleaders though at Maryland).

If anything the pressure is off a youngish gopher team playing on the road in front of a passive, quiet road crowd relative to the pressure of playing well at home.

I do not care what the old Cal coach Tedford is doing at Fresno, a team from that conference not called Boise State should not be a toss up vs a Big Ten team with a pulse. This reminds me of all the hype a few years ago about the San Jose State team with the future NFL star at QB that visited TCF. Has Fales completed a pass yet in the NFL?

And as far as illinois goes, under Lovie Smith, they have been the most impotent, punchless team I have seen in the Big Ten in a very long time. They looked much better under that idiot from Toledo they fired, and for sure under the old WMU coach that was fired when Fleck took over there. Until Illinois proves they are not awful, and Lovie can keep firing all his assistants, I will have no faith they are any good at all, recruiting well or not. Lovie flat out is an awful fit for a downtrodden CFB team, maybe for any college football team. Lovie was a terrible hire.

Regarding NFL coaches in college having poor results, I will go against the grain and predict that Herman Edwards will not be a total train wreck in terms of on the field results at Arizona State, even though the PR battle has been a losing one.

Tedford turned Fresno from double-digit loss team to double-digit wins (including bowl game) in his Year Zero at Fresno.

Don't chalk them up to "should win" just because Minnesota is nominally a P5 team playing them at home.

Tedford turned Fresno from double-digit loss team to double-digit wins (including bowl game) in his Year Zero at Fresno.

Don't chalk them up to "should win" just because Minnesota is nominally a P5 team playing them at home.

I just got inside from sweating my nads off outside. Apparently you are bored on Memorial Day weekend? Probably going to go back to the UWM message boards and pound your chest about how you "showed them" on GopherHole?

Go home.

They had some impressive wins last year and Tedford definitely can coach. I think it’s a toss up since they lost their DC, their DLine and because there will be no surprises. Also they got smoked by Washington and Alabama so it is not like we will be facing a team with superior personnel which is what in my opinion is a key factor in our home losses over the years. If we don’t turn the ball over and are efficient on offense this is a win. If not, then L numero uno. I get the gist of the original post, we have an ‘easy schedule’ this year and we could do something.

I do not care what the old Cal coach Tedford is doing at Fresno, a team from that conference not called Boise State should not be a toss up vs a Big Ten team with a pulse. This reminds me of all the hype a few years ago about the San Jose State team with the future NFL star at QB that visited TCF. Has Fales completed a pass yet in the NFL?

Fresno was better than us last year... .doesn't matter what "should be" when you are predicting wins. "should" doesn't score points.

Fales actually did get drafted and started a game for Miami last year. He put up pretty decent stats against us in 2013 but we ran all over their defense and it wasn’t ever really close. This was the game where the Moose is loose really took hold. Leidner was a man possessed. It’s also the game their punter mixed it up with our return team and was ejected. Who says these non cons are no fun? I had a great time at that game.

It takes a lot more than a good QB to reach the upper tier. Defense, protection, run blocking, the act of catching the thrown ball, special teams...all important. Pretty much all lacking last year.

agree. and i am less confident about the qbs this year than i was last year.

I don't see how you can be since we know they were terrible. At least one of this season's qbs. could be good.

I could see other places (e.g., defense) where one could be less confident than last year.

9-3 sounds great, but isn't realistic. I hope you're right but I think like 6-6 or 7-5 seems more realistic.

i'd love 9-3. but i fully expect 8-4. no letting up on expectations regardless of coachspeak.

Who is the third string quarterback now?

The other two RS Fr. If anyone saw the Spring game, I really don't think VV transferring should change anyone's expectations.

Never in the cards. A third string QB transferring doesn't change that.

NMSU 78% chance of W
Fresno 51% chance of W
Ohio 75% chance of W
@Maryland 45% chance of W
Iowa 45% chance of W
@OSU 6% chance of W
@Nebraska 40% chance of W
Indiana 50% chance of W
@Illinois 53% chance of W
Purdue 50% chance of W
NW 49% chance of W
@WI 30% chance of W

If people think less than 6 wins = Fleck failure then those same folks might as well buy the fire fleck tshirt and grab the firefleck.com domain name. This is gonna be a 1-11 year. I was optimistic but this CA kid leaving is no bueno. I expect we are going to hear PJ say the QB position takes years to develop and the Jerry Kill 'goldmine' statement was fraught with fiction. I was optimistic and posted 8-9 wins but this is gonna be like that Brewster 1-11 year.

If people think less than 6 wins = Fleck failure then those same folks might as well buy the fire fleck tshirt and grab the firefleck.com domain name. This is gonna be a 1-11 year. I was optimistic but this CA kid leaving is no bueno. I expect we are going to hear PJ say the QB position takes years to develop and the Jerry Kill 'goldmine' statement was fraught with fiction. I was optimistic and posted 8-9 wins but this is gonna be like that Brewster 1-11 year.
Welcome. I had 3-9 before the defection of Vic. I'll split your prediction with my original and revise it to 2-10.

The other two RS Fr. If anyone saw the Spring game, I really don't think VV transferring should change anyone's expectations.

No but it does cause QB injuries to become a more serious issue

No but it does cause QB injuries to become a more serious issue

Guys, he literally quit to become a linebacker. We would have been in trouble if we had to go to him regardless. Having a JC QB join your program and then quit instantly because he couldn't move up the depth chart is not a bad thing. It would be far more concerning if he was starting for us next year.

I agree this year will a struggle. I dont think its 1-11 struggle but it will be difficult.

I'd say if we win 6 games and get to a bowl game it will be cause for celebration. 2019 we will start to see the fruits of this struggle

Welcome. I had 3-9 before the defection of Vic. I'll split your prediction with my original and revise it to 2-10.
With VV at quarterback, the Gophs would have been 0-12. I am glad he is gone and left an open scholarship for a player who wants to be here and will improve the team.

With VV at quarterback, the Gophs would have been 0-12. I am glad he is gone and left an open scholarship for a player who wants to be here and will improve the team.
We have no idea what the record would be if he were the quarterback. I don't hold anything against him. He needs to do what is in his best interest. What I know is that PJ considered him worthy of a scholarship.

I agree this year will a struggle. I dont think its 1-11 struggle but it will be difficult.

I'd say if we win 6 games and get to a bowl game it will be cause for celebration. 2019 we will start to see the fruits of this struggle

Wow.

Top Bottom