D’Vion Harris commits DE

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
Per Ryan Burns

I can confirm the #Gophers have received a commitment from 2019 St. Louis defensive end D'Vion Harris (@_iondeeve) over Florida, Michigan, Illinois, Utah and Louisville among others. 247sports.com/Player/DVion-H…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BREAKING: Gophers Land 3-star DE D'Vion Harris
The Gophers land commitment No. 6 in the class of 2019
Kyle Goblirsch

6_7931243.jpg

P.J. Fleck and the Minnesota staff picked up their sixth verbal commitment in the class of 2019 today, landing St. Louis Lutheran North (Mo.) DE D'Vion Harris.

Harris committed to Fleck and the Gophers while in town with his family for an unofficial visit. He chose Minnesota over offers from Arizona, Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan, Utah and others.

The 6-foot-3, 225-pound prep is currently rated the No. 58 Weak Side D-End in the country on 247Sports Composite, holding a 3-star grading of 0.8527. Harris is also the No. 16 prospect overall in the state of Missouri.

Minnesota’s class is now up one spot to No. 33 in the early national rankings, while staying put at No. 8 in the Big Ten.

[video]https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6052485/59a584f8664cd60cd4d1a1bd[/video]

Looks like another solid 3 star player with good offers. Definitely happy to have a player like him commit!

Interesting not higher rated with those offers. Clearly teams see something the scouts do not in him. Great get. I’ll trust our talent evaluators over guys working for sites any day

Interesting not higher rated with those offers. Clearly teams see something the scouts do not in him. Great get. I’ll trust our talent evaluators over guys working for sites any day

+100

I love pass rushing DEs. Nice pick-up...

A beautiful weekend for recruits to visit. Great to see another talented player interested in being a Gopher!

Considering how poor the pass rush typically is...YES.

I like to think all the pressure in the spring game is the new focus on pass rushing .... (oh gawd please let it not be the OL).

We've added quite a few DEs the last couple years: Otomewo, Mafe, Okonji, Reigelsperger, Ahanotu, and now Harris. Hopefully we end up with 2-3 that can get after the QB.

Another guy that could get a bump to 4 stars before it’s all said and done

He'll be a nice addition.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/6052485/59a584f8664cd60cd4d1a1bd' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

He'll be a nice addition.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/6052485/59a584f8664cd60cd4d1a1bd' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Make sure to have the TV guys circle him, it seems to do wonders.

Tremendous offer list. Could care less about his ranking, it's the offers for me!

Another guy that could get a bump to 4 stars before it’s all said and done

Last year a lot of his commits got bumps in the end. Bateman dropped and then went up to a 4 star. Staff does a good job scouting gems.

I know, right? It's almost as if ratings aren't based on offers.

Great pick up! Another Gopher future star.

I know, right? It's almost as if ratings aren't based on offers.

DPO - How many times are you going to post this opinion? We get it. Do you want some congratulations or praise for thinking this way?

DPO - How many times are you going to post this opinion? We get it. Do you want some congratulations or praise for thinking this way?

I know, right? It’s almost as if he is incapable of passing on an opportunity to be condescending and snarky.

I will stop saying it as soon as people stop pushing the fallacy that ratings are based on quantity and quality of offers. Deal? Don't hold your breath on that happening anytime soon - or ever.

Ratings may not be based on offers, but in general, a higher rating is going to lead to better offers.

There just aren't any (or very many) "mystery" players or "under-the-radar" players anymore. If you're a HS FB player with any ability, there's going to be highlight tapes available, and generally at least one of the scouting services will have some kind of a report. Plus, with social media, guys looking for offers can promote themselves a lot more effectively than in the good old days.

Now - it still comes down to evaluation. Multiple coaches can view the same player and draw multiple conclusions about their ability.

The trick is not watching a 16 or 17-year old player and determining how good that player is today. The trick is watching that player and determining how good he could become in 3 or 4 years. That ties into player development, strength and conditioning, and coaching.

Get the right player in the right system with the right coaches, and you've got something good. But put that same player in a different system with different coaches, and he goes from "can't miss prospect" to a "bust."

That will be the true test of Fleck and his staff. It's not who they sign. It's how they develop those players.

Isn't there a thread on offers and rankings somewhere else? If not, mods please start one.

Top Bottom