Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 106 to 119 of 119
  1. #106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by btowngopher View Post
    Besides running, throwing, catching, kicking, and tackling?
    Is this really an argument?


  2. #107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bemidjigopher View Post
    Mark Alt and Ryan McDonaugh were qbs at Cretin. Alt had an Iowa offer. Joey Miller won a prep bowl against McDonaugh for Wayzata as a qb.

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    I knew the Okposo family really well growing up and Kyle might have been as good of a football player as he was a hockey player.

    There is zero doubt in my mind that he would have played D1 football. It's not difficult to imagine looking at him.

  3. #108
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Paul MN
    Posts
    2,753

    Default

    The best football/hockey player I remember was George Pelawa. He chose to play hockey in college signing with North Dakota. Unfortunately he died in a car accident early in his freshman year.

  4. #109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Loblaw View Post
    I knew the Okposo family really well growing up and Kyle might have been as good of a football player as he was a hockey player.

    There is zero doubt in my mind that he would have played D1 football. It's not difficult to imagine looking at him.
    So he might have gotten 15 games with the U before he quit.

  5. #110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Loblaw View Post
    Is this really an argument?
    Yeah it is. There's little evidence that we are losing a large amount of D1 football players to hockey. I know of zero D1 hockey players in recent history that played any other D1 sport, I know of zero former college hockey players that went on to play NFL football. Most hockey players are like 6' 185 pounds, many are smaller. I don't know why we should assume these great hockey players could be great football players when there has been very little evidence to suggest that the skills translate. We've seen it plenty with baseball and basketball players.

  6. #111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by btowngopher View Post
    Yeah it is. There's little evidence that we are losing a large amount of D1 football players to hockey. I know of zero D1 hockey players in recent history that played any other D1 sport, I know of zero former college hockey players that went on to play NFL football. Most hockey players are like 6' 185 pounds, many are smaller. I don't know why we should assume these great hockey players could be great football players when there has been very little evidence to suggest that the skills translate. We've seen it plenty with baseball and basketball players.
    I just mentioned 3 that played hockey at the U and played in the NFL.

  7. #112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fan of Ray Williams View Post
    I just mentioned 3 that played hockey at the U and played in the NFL.
    Were you refencing Brad Buetow? I don't see anything about him playing football at all, let alone in the NFL.

    Also, do you have any examples more recent than the Jimmy Carter administration?

  8. #113
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New River, AZ
    Posts
    5,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by btowngopher View Post
    Yeah it is. There's little evidence that we are losing a large amount of D1 football players to hockey. I know of zero D1 hockey players in recent history that played any other D1 sport, I know of zero former college hockey players that went on to play NFL football. Most hockey players are like 6' 185 pounds, many are smaller. I don't know why we should assume these great hockey players could be great football players when there has been very little evidence to suggest that the skills translate. We've seen it plenty with baseball and basketball players.
    There's no evidence because they didn't play football. Most college football players "athletic build" is just what you say. Football players are required to bulk up when they are playing...football.

    Eliminate hockey in MN and you might pick up 10-20 more high caliber football players. Simple math.
    Gopher football fan since 1924. DNA-wise.

  9. #114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    Were you refencing Brad Buetow? I don't see anything about him playing football at all, let alone in the NFL.

    Also, do you have any examples more recent than the Jimmy Carter administration?
    His twin brother Bart. He did say zero.

  10. #115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fan of Ray Williams View Post
    His twin brother Bart. He did say zero.
    Thanks. It's an accurate statement, just pointing out that it hasn't happened in a very long time, indicating that something fundamental has changed to make it an implausible scenario in the present day.

  11. #116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    Were you refencing Brad Buetow? I don't see anything about him playing football at all, let alone in the NFL.

    Also, do you have any examples more recent than the Jimmy Carter administration?
    btowngopher did a pivot by throwing in NFL. I think Brad actually played three sports at the U.

  12. #117
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Posts
    1,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    Thanks. It's an accurate statement, just pointing out that it hasn't happened in a very long time, indicating that something fundamental has changed to make it an implausible scenario in the present day.
    Something has changed & I think it mostly has to do with hockey. A lot of sports have become specialization at a young age, but hockey seems to have more of it than any other sport. I think that's the crux of the statement about Minnesota & hockey being somewhat responsible for the production of football players; it's hard to know for sure because so many kids are giving up on football for hockey at a younger age. In addition, hockey has different routes for kids to accelerate their development in terms of leagues. If a kid heads off to the USHL, they're pretty much giving up their options regarding other sports. Of course, that's pretty late in the stage of the game; I think it beings at a much younger age.

    I don't think the number of kids would be a huge change, but there are definitely some kids. I definitely think Anders Lee could have played Big Ten football.
    "True love is hard to find, sometimes you think you have true love and then you catch the early flight home from San Diego and a couple of nude people jump out of your bathroom blindfolded like a G$#@%&* magic show ready to double team your girlfriend..." -Mitch Martin

  13. #118
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Windom, MN
    Posts
    6,407

    Default

    And, to be fair, coaches are pushing kids to specialize. Every coach wants his players to play their sport 24/7. I knew a football coach who was openly telling his players to skip other summer programs - including telling kids don't play Legion Baseball. Baseball coach found out and he was pi**ed.

    With Hockey, you have the added wrinkle of kids going outside of the high school system to play in Junior Leagues or the Developmental programs. I know a kid who showed talent as a goalie in Junior High. His dad immediately got him into a developmental program, so the kid never played High school hockey within his local school district - went right to a developmental program. Now, the kid has a D1 Scholarship offer. great for him, but his local High School program lost out on a chance to have a player who might have made a big difference.

    And - the kicker - this same kid was a QB in youth-league Football,and showed a lot of ability. But once Dad decided the kid was on his way to the NHL, he never picked up a football again. so, it's coaches and parents who contribute to the specialization issue.

  14. #119
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    The Woodlands, TX
    Posts
    1,041
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    And, to be fair, coaches are pushing kids to specialize. Every coach wants his players to play their sport 24/7. I knew a football coach who was openly telling his players to skip other summer programs - including telling kids don't play Legion Baseball. Baseball coach found out and he was pi**ed.

    With Hockey, you have the added wrinkle of kids going outside of the high school system to play in Junior Leagues or the Developmental programs. I know a kid who showed talent as a goalie in Junior High. His dad immediately got him into a developmental program, so the kid never played High school hockey within his local school district - went right to a developmental program. Now, the kid has a D1 Scholarship offer. great for him, but his local High School program lost out on a chance to have a player who might have made a big difference.

    And - the kicker - this same kid was a QB in youth-league Football,and showed a lot of ability. But once Dad decided the kid was on his way to the NHL, he never picked up a football again. so, it's coaches and parents who contribute to the specialization issue.
    Although many kids specialize at a certain age, many don't! Many of the best athletes in Texas play football and then move right on to basketball and then most likely track & field. Obviously we don't have much by the way of hockey programs in Texas, so that is a different animal. My Godson plays football, basketball and golf and was all district in all three sports. To your point though, he will probably drop football and concentrate more specifically on golf.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •