Quinn to Announce Decision Live on KARE 11 May 1st

If the Gophers can't even grab top recruits that grew up in the MSP area, how are they going to ever contend? This whole thing about putting it on TV is ridiculous as many of you have said. I don't care if he picks the Gophers, it's still ridiculous. He's a 4 star offensive lineman. Good for him but it's not like he's a bonafide star or at a skill position.

Would have been a huge get for PJ but ND has probably been recruiting him for years.

He's not throwing anything in anybody's face. He knows a lot of people want to know where he wants to go to school, and not everybody has social media.

Do you really think there is a portion of the population that cares so much about this decision, and is also incapable of finding this information in any other manner than the 10 O' Clock news? Do you truly believe that this necessitates a news segment to satisfy that "need"?

Personally, from what I know about him, I'd rather he go somewhere else, unless he's changed from last fall.

If the Gophers can't even grab top recruits that grew up in the MSP area, how are they going to ever contend? This whole thing about putting it on TV is ridiculous as many of you have said. I don't care if he picks the Gophers, it's still ridiculous. He's a 4 star offensive lineman. Good for him but it's not like he's a bonafide star or at a skill position.

Would have been a huge get for PJ but ND has probably been recruiting him for years.

Gophers are never going to get all the top recruits in the MSP area. They are 18 year old kids who may want to go live in another part of the country or liked another team growing up. If he wants to go to Notre Dame, great, good luck with the college career. Not all the top kids in Ohio go to Ohio State.
The only thing that bothers me is when a player from Minnesota wants to play for the Gophers but they don't really recruit him. Like the one last year that signed with Nebraska.

David Alston I was surprised they let him go with NE. If I remember it correctly, there was chatter on GH about him not fitting in the Gophers defensive scheme. But, talent is talent. They should have offered him in hindsight.

The staff was under a lot of pressure to get the right set of recruits from a national recruiting perspective, they missed on some very good MN athletes. It won't be the last time.

For those that haven’t been there ND has a beautiful campus with a very historic feel, historic stadium, fervent fans. The school is relatively prestigious. If one is a practicing catholic it’s the place to go. OTOH South Bend is nothing special as far as mid-sized cities go but has some nice aspects. Lake Michigan is close and has an “ocean”-like feel in the summertime.

If Carroll feels the opportunity to play at ND outweighs the opportunity to help build something great at home nobody can really fault him. However I agree it’s poor taste to do the TV thing. JMO.

Wanna get a ND fan or South Bend resident going? Tell them South Bend's slogan is: "We're not Gary (Indiana), but we're close".

People drawing conclusions that others care where he goes on a personal level are missing the point. People don't care where he goes to school, it is his decision and we have no say in it. What bothers people is he is making the decision on our local news. Doing that is in poor taste unless he is going to the U. There is no way around that and people are founded in voicing their displeasure for the use of venue.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

People drawing conclusions that others care where he goes on a personal level are missing the point. People don't care where he goes to school, it is his decision and we have no say in it. What bothers people is he is making the decision on our local news. Doing that is in poor taste unless he is going to the U. There is no way around that and people are founded in voicing their displeasure for the use of venue.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Yep. Spot on. "Classless" is the word that comes to mind. That's if he indeed goes to ND. If he is a Gopher, then it's a totally different scenario. The use of a local venue to announce your commitment to a very local fan base = very appropriate. Still hope he's a Gopher...

Is he going to be in the studio at the TV station or are they broadcasting his announcement live at their home or school?

Is he going to be in the studio at the TV station or are they broadcasting his announcement live at their home or school?

I've got some sources on this.

What they're going to do is throw six uniforms from a plane. Then he jumps out of the plane / skydives naked, catches and dresses in uniform before parachuting in the uniform of the school he has chosen.

Also the parachute is the school logo.... and the band just happens to be there when he lands...

Here's a challenge for KARE. Find the top academic student in MN - and let him or her announce their college choice live on TV.

Get some kid who had a perfect score on their ACT or SAT - a future scientist or doctor - and make a big thing out of their choosing a college.

Of course, KARE would probably say that's not newsworthy.

Assuming he is picking a school other than MN, this has to feel like a huge slap in the face to P.J.

I heard he literally lives a few doors down the street from Fleck. He could just as easily do it in person.

I get a bit turned off by O-lineman that like the attention and appear to be a bit Diva-like. I have no problem with it when it's a skill player though...seems to be the norm for great ones. However, it seems to me if you are a flat out a**kicker, you don't need nor care about the attention.

Assuming he is picking a school other than MN, this has to feel like a huge slap in the face to P.J.

True, but at the same time nobody seems to like attention more than PJ so I think he'll understand. Maybe we can get a new slogan out of this.

Here's a challenge for KARE. Find the top academic student in MN - and let him or her announce their college choice live on TV.

Get some kid who had a perfect score on their ACT or SAT - a future scientist or doctor - and make a big thing out of their choosing a college.

KARE 11 chooses stories based on societal interest. They are running a business. Don't blame them for the emphasis we all place on sports.

Yep. Spot on. "Classless" is the word that comes to mind. That's if he indeed goes to ND. If he is a Gopher, then it's a totally different scenario. The use of a local venue to announce your commitment to a very local fan base = very appropriate. Still hope he's a Gopher...

As I mentioned in a previous post Shaver has been following Carroll for as long as many of us have. Supporting local high school sports and key athletes is Shaver's MO. Unfortunately the Gophers are far down the list when it comes to station loyalty.

Very unfortunate if true. I can cay with 100% certainty that if this were a highly recruited player in the Madison, Iowa City or Lincoln area the local TV station(s) would not even think about allowing that player to announce his commitment to another school, live on air.... Only in Minnesota.

I've got some sources on this.

What they're going to do is throw six uniforms from a plane. Then he jumps out of the plane / skydives naked, catches and dresses in uniform before parachuting in the uniform of the school he has chosen.

Also the parachute is the school logo.... and the band just happens to be there when he lands...

I am for this.

...What they're going to do is throw six uniforms from a plane. Then he jumps out of the plane / skydives naked, catches and dresses in uniform before parachuting in the uniform of the school he has chosen.

What happens if the parachute(s) don't open? Then, he goes down to MN.

They do stories about academic excellence all the time.

What happens if the parachute(s) don't open? Then, he goes down to MN.

Then KARE 11 runs infinite number of sappy "Remember When!?!?!?" stories for years to come.... right after the latest "Lindsey Vonnis sort of from Minnesota" story.

If PJ gets slapped in the face then I'm watching! The question remains: Will it be an elite slap?

Then KARE 11 runs infinite number of sappy "Remember When!?!?!?" stories for years to come.... right after the latest "Lindsey Vonnis sort of from Minnesota" story.

What do you mean "sort of"? She was born in St. Paul and lived in Burnsville until she was 14 or 15 - there's no "sort of" about it.

True, but at the same time nobody seems to like attention more than PJ so I think he'll understand. Maybe we can get a new slogan out of this.

Hey! Maybe we can incorporate it onto our helmet instead of the old, tiresome "M" too!

I'll take Carter Coughlin's call to his "pop-pop" to announce his decision any day. Now, if Quinn uses KARE to announce he's going to be a Gopher - cool. Otherwise, bye.

Announcing he will go to the Irish on a MN news station is kind of embarrassing. Stupid idea.

What do you mean "sort of"? She was born in St. Paul and lived in Burnsville until she was 14 or 15 - there's no "sort of" about it.

this. vonn is a true minnesotan.

Top Bottom