Quinn to Announce Decision Live on KARE 11 May 1st

I truly don't care where a high school kid decides to attend college. Millions of kids make that decision annually, none of whom impact my life directly.

My only request to athletes whose choice of school seems more important than non-athletes is that they spend as much time thinking about how to deliver their choice as they made in the choice itself.

In this case, you have a local athlete who is most likely choosing to attend a school other than his home state. Nothing wrong with that. If you're making that choice I applaud it but understand that going on television to tell your home state that you are passing on them comes off as nothing more than grandstanding and it's honestly just annoying. If you are choosing another school, show some respect to those around you and simply post it on twitter etc and let's all just move on. The TV camera shows it's all about him and it's a huge turnoff.

The one scenario where I see an athlete coming out ahead is going on TV to tell your local college that you are joining them. That's where the opportunity to raise awareness of your school and your choice to be a legacy of your state can be displayed and it looks outwardly more like pride in your area than about self promotion.

Whatever school he chooses is fine by me. I'm a Gopher fan and want to see us succeed so I hope he plays here. If not, fine, just don't be a D-bag and remind locals on TV that you leaving.....it's not needed and truthfully it makes me quite ok that you aren't sticking around.

10,000,000,000%. Exactly. If he wants to choose another school, that is his choice. But don’t go on a local TV station that is only seen by fans of the local school to rub it in our face. It then all becomes about the players ego.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or this is an 18 year old kid making one of the biggest decisions of his young life and wants to enjoy the moment?

Or this is an 18 year old kid making one of the biggest decisions of his young life and wants to enjoy the moment?

You signed up for that? Good Lord.

The bottom line is it a total doosh move by Kare11, son, and father (if reports are true and it's a ND commit)

Great, Quinn's mom signs up on Gopherhole just to post this crap. If your son's choosing to be Benedict Arnold, then at least don't do it on live local TV.

Its amazing the lack of perspective you guys have. Not everyone in this state is a Gopher fan that checks Gopherhole daily. He is a MN kid that has worked his tail off to get a full ride to a football program with 100× more national prestige than the Gophers. Sorry, but its true. Lots of people will think, "I've seen Rudy, good for that young man".

That's why Kare 11 wants to air it. To recognize a MN kid for a hell of an accomplishment. Not to troll Gopher die hards.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Its amazing the lack of perspective you guys have. Not everyone in this state is a Gopher fan that checks Gopherhole daily. He is a MN kid that has worked his tail off to get a full ride to a football program with 100× more national prestige than the Gophers. Sorry, but its true. Lots of people will think, "I've seen Rudy, good for that young man".

That's why Kare 11 wants to air it. To recognize a MN kid for a hell of an accomplishment. Not to troll Gopher die hards.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

No, it's a doosh move. That's all.

A kid from a broken home raising their siblings while their single parent works three jobs and manages to still get good enough grades to go to college is a news story.

A kid that gets free schooling in trade for playing football is not. That's about ego.

To announce a non-local school while the local school is in the running to a local audience would be a dick move. To announce the local school would be community friendly.

Bottom line, glad he's going to school. Tweet it, don't televise it.

People making excusses for an unprofessional decision like going on local news to announce you out of market college choice are living in a fantasyland.

Thoes advising this kid are potentially doing him a great disservice should the football thing not work out for him.

Then again if he is picking the gophers it is an exceptional utilization of exposure to the local kids and making a name for himself in this state.

We shall see what transpires, but If it is ND then he might be burning bridges professionally in this state, bridges he wouldn't be burning should he not trolled a state. And that right there is emblematic of if it is the right decision or not.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

I'm confused... Did the kid already choose the Fighting Irish? Guess I don't have to watch tomorrow...

You signed up for that? Good Lord.

The bottom line is it a total doosh move by Kare11, son, and father (if reports are true and it's a ND commit)

I’m surprised that wasn’t followed with “I remember my first post”, but funny how see post number but not year joined.

People making excusses for an unprofessional decision like going on local news to announce you out of market college choice are living in a fantasyland.

Thoes advising this kid are potentially doing him a great disservice should the football thing not work out for him.

Then again if he is picking the gophers it is an exceptional utilization of exposure to the local kids and making a name for himself in this state.

We shall see what transpires, but If it is ND then he might be burning bridges professionally in this state, bridges he wouldn't be burning should he not trolled a state. And that right there is emblematic of if it is the right decision or not.

Sid? Is that you?

Guarantee there won’t be a single bridge burned. It doesn’t matter if there is a bridge. MSP isn’t the only economic center in the country.

Guarantee there won’t be a single bridge burned. It doesn’t matter if there is a bridge. MSP isn’t the only economic center in the country.
You don't made poor decisions just because you have other options. Yes, it will be reflect poorly on him should he pick ND on the local news. I have said all I need to say.

For those that haven’t been there ND has a beautiful campus with a very historic feel, historic stadium, fervent fans. The school is relatively prestigious. If one is a practicing catholic it’s the place to go. OTOH South Bend is nothing special as far as mid-sized cities go but has some nice aspects. Lake Michigan is close and has an “ocean”-like feel in the summertime.

If Carroll feels the opportunity to play at ND outweighs the opportunity to help build something great at home nobody can really fault him. However I agree it’s poor taste to do the TV thing. JMO.

I really don't like this argument. I hear it every time someone wants to justify such nonsense like making a video of your top 20 list. Did we learn nothing from the Daniels Twins? Attention seekers will always be attention seekers. Some might still be worth taking, and many are probably great kids, but it is OK for folks to not like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all, this whole declaring on TV, no matter what the college is some really entitled crap. The fact KARE is enabling this makes me near nauseous.

Why???

How well would this go over Madison if the local Madison kid was doing a 5 minute TV segment to talk about how he wasn't going to Wisconsin to go to school instead at the Illini or for Oklahoma.

Not very well.

For some reason, Minnesota fans are supposed to be happy for him if we can watch him play on KARE11 on Saturday's?

My God.

Obviously, if he picks the home town school, it's easier to digest, but what kind of ego does this kid have, and what have his parents been telling him to make him believe this is a good idea?
It's like people can lose all decency and common sensibilities, and it's on the people around them to accept it and be happy for them, meanwhile what their actions are doing is to first and foremost throw an insult in your face.
It's not like he doesn't have options... you know, like twitter, phones to call coaches, etc.

Potentially, we have a double Debbie Downer this week with Quinn Carroll announcing he's off to ND, and Bryce Bennet possibly to Tennessee (or Wisconsin). :cry::cry:

STrib: Edina's Quinn Carroll — top football target for Gophers, Notre Dame, others — to announce decision

Quinn Carroll, a 6-6, 295-pound tackle who is a junior at Edina and the top-ranked football recruit in Minnesota for the Class of 2019, will announce his college choice during the 10 p.m. news broadcast on KARE (Ch. 11) Tuesday.

Carroll, the son of former Gophers tight end Jay Carroll, named his six finalists in March: the Gophers, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Virginia Tech and Wisconsin.

Recruiting-focused website 247Sports.com predicts that Carroll will choose Notre Dame. He made his last official recruiting visit to the South Bend, Ind., campus on April 21.

Carroll is rated the No. 87 player nationally and the No. 12 tackle by 247Sports.com.

http://www.startribune.com/edina-s-...e-dame-others-to-announce-decision/481316111/

Go Gophers!!

For some reason, Minnesota fans are supposed to be happy for him if we can watch him play on KARE11 on Saturday's?

I'm not happy for him. I don't care about him at all. If he came here...I'd care. He's not, so I hope he loses every game he plays at South Bend. I always root for ND to lose. That won't change because of some kid I'll never meet is going there.

Is it 10pm yet? I'm more curious than I kare.

I'm not happy for him. I don't care about him at all. If he came here...I'd care. He's not, so I hope he loses every game he plays at South Bend. I always root for ND to lose. That won't change because of some kid I'll never meet is going there.

Yeah for some reason that program brings out the dislike in me. Maybe it’s that they are on national tv way more than I care for or that several outstanding Mn football prospects have picked ND or that Holtz left Mn for ND.
I would like to see the Gophers play them in a bowl game sometime soon.

First of all, this whole declaring on TV, no matter what the college is some really entitled crap. The fact KARE is enabling this makes me near nauseous.

Why???

How well would this go over Madison if the local Madison kid was doing a 5 minute TV segment to talk about how he wasn't going to Wisconsin to go to school instead at the Illini or for Oklahoma.

Not very well.

My God.

Obviously, if he picks the home town school, it's easier to digest, but what kind of ego does this kid have, and what have his parents been telling him to make him believe this is a good idea?
It's like people can lose all decency and common sensibilities, and it's on the people around them to accept it and be happy for them, meanwhile what their actions are doing is to first and foremost throw an insult in your face.
It's not like he doesn't have options... you know, like twitter, phones to call coaches, etc.

I get what you're saying, but if you're truly that upset over a high school kid making a college decision, then you may want to consider a different hobby. Watching the local football program not get coveted recruits will take years off your life if you take it this seriously. Every major college coach has recruits they prioritize, visit with whenever possible and still don't land, every year.

Shaver has been doing the Prep Sports Extra for 30-ish years. The guy has dedicated much of his professional career, when not raising money for cancer research, to covering high school football in Minnesota. I interned for his show back in college, one of the more rewarding experiences I've had to this day was helping put that show together.

Is it disappointing and unfortunate if he chooses Notre Dame over Minnesota? Sure. Let the kid have his moment, he's worked his tail off to get to where he is today. And if he doesn't choose the Gophers, maybe it's just because he feels right at ND and it's a better fit. He's not throwing anything in anybody's face. He knows a lot of people want to know where he wants to go to school, and not everybody has social media.

I get what you're saying, but if you're truly that upset over a high school kid making a college decision, then you may want to consider a different hobby. Watching the local football program not get coveted recruits will take years off your life if you take it this seriously. Every major college coach has recruits they prioritize, visit with whenever possible and still don't land, every year.

Shaver has been doing the Prep Sports Extra for 30-ish years. The guy has dedicated much of his professional career, when not raising money for cancer research, to covering high school football in Minnesota. I interned for his show back in college, one of the more rewarding experiences I've had to this day was helping put that show together.

Is it disappointing and unfortunate if he chooses Notre Dame over Minnesota? Sure. Let the kid have his moment, he's worked his tail off to get to where he is today. And if he doesn't choose the Gophers, maybe it's just because he feels right at ND and it's a better fit. He's not throwing anything in anybody's face. He knows a lot of people want to know where he wants to go to school, and not everybody has social media.

I just don't understand why this is becoming made for TV decisions.
If it was any other player, I'd feel the same way.

I didn't lose any sleep over this, so maybe my words come off stronger than how actually feel, but this idea that we now need to have kids on our nightly news telling us what college they are picking... are we going to start doing this for every kid who works hard?

If he does it live on local TV, he's totally throwing it in our face.

Assuming he is picking a school other than MN, this has to feel like a huge slap in the face to P.J.

Top Bottom