Quinn to Announce Decision Live on KARE 11 May 1st

What a bunch of bitter jackasses. Seriously. The kid is a fantastic player, and wherever he goes, his announcement is substantial local news. If he's planning to stay and he sees this board, he'll probably have second thoughts.

There's no way you go on local TV to announce you've changed your name to Benedict Arnold. If he really follows through and announces on Channel 11, then it's a commit to the U.

Ragnow and Reid Travis's decisions were both streamed by local stations and we know how that ended up.

Frankly there are a lot of people that don't care about the gophers and won't view him as Benedict Arnold if he goes elsewhere. They will think it's cool that a top 50 player in the country that is from here is going to a national powerhouse like ND. Many of the Edina folks as well as players and coaches that played against him will tune in even if he's not expected to commit here.

I mean it feels like half of the state thinks its awesome that Tyus went to Duke, won a national championship and won final four MVP and don't give a crap that he didn't chose the gophers. He was even invited to throw the first pitch at one of the Twins games and that was before he was drafted here.

Could we plant some Gopher fans in the studio so that when he announces ND it is echoed with loud objections in the background?

Would be way better for 5e program if we acted like adults and wished him well at ND

Um ... not going to happen. It's that extra adulation some of these kids seek. I get it's their lives and it actually might be a difficult choice. But too much of the process seems to be to milk it for as much attention as possible when you have already made up your mind a long time ago. Sort of like Tyus keeping us in his final five, or final four, or whatever the hell it was, when everyone knew it was going to be Duke. They want attention? Well, some of it is going to come in the form of crap from longtime Gopher fans who might have a legitimate complaint over how the program is covered by local media.

I've been a Gopher fan for a long time and, God knows, the Gophers are their own worst enemy. It's up to them to make their programs attractive enough even to those rare 5 star athletes the state produces. But given the history, the culture, and the demographics, it's a really steep hill. People are going to be pissed when things like this happen to make it seem even steeper. Just make your frick'n announcement and go.

What a bunch of bitter jackasses. Seriously. The kid is a fantastic player, and wherever he goes, his announcement is substantial local news. If he's planning to stay and he sees this board, he'll probably have second thoughts.

Possibly the most asinine post I've seen in 3+ months. Congrats, Mr. Carroll.

This is the dumbest post I've read all day.

"substantial local news"?

Hey, look a kid is going to college! Let's do a new story on it. That's substantial.

Oh, look, a kid is going to Notre Dame, just like that software engineer we hired who doesn't talk to anyone. How bout that. Let's do a five minute segment on it!!

If this goes down like we think it will, Reusse will have a great new candidate for Turkey of the Year! Definitely poor taste to turn down the local school on local TV.

If this goes down like we think it will, Reusse will have a great new candidate for Turkey of the Year! Definitely poor taste to turn down the local school on local TV.

Yep, first father/son winner(s).

Guys - What we post on GH does not affect the team. Not sure why this has to be explained so often. We just aren't that important, sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he retired the bit.

My twitter sleuthing was all wrong with Duggan but I have more data to work with with Quinn.

His most recent follows are almost entirely Notre Dame players, coaches and fans. Don’t know why it’d be that way if he was committing somewhere else.

Here’s hoping I’m wrong but it doesn’t look good.

My twitter sleuthing was all wrong with Duggan but I have more data to work with with Quinn.

His most recent follows are almost entirely Notre Dame players, coaches and fans. Don’t know why it’d be that way if he was committing somewhere else.

Here’s hoping I’m wrong but it doesn’t look good.

I agree it does not look good....

As for the Kare 11 announcement here is my take:

Shaver has been a long time proponent of local HS football and supporting athletes wherever they decide to go. He has been following Carroll for as long as many of us have. The on air announcement could have been agreed to longer than we could imagine. Possibly before we even knew that Notre Dame was in the picture. I could be 100% wrong on this but it is a possibility. In any case I am not happy how this is rolling out.

As for Carroll, this is the perfect public forum for him to discuss his recruitment and reasons for his final decision. If he chooses ND we will have an opportunity to tell the viewers how great PJ has been throughout the recruiting process and perhaps other accolades towards the staff and the university facilities. People will view him a nice young well spoken man who chose where his hear is taking him.

This is a win/win for Kare11 and Carroll. Unfortunately when there is a winner there is a loser and I along with other Maroon and Gold faithful with feel the "sting" of the "Hornet" once again.

RTB!!!

As far as feeling rubbing salt in the wounds on TV - it is a Gopher fan lament for missing out on a local talented player. The kid is a class act.

Don't get me wrong. Quinn and his family appear to be very outstanding people who have affinity for both the Gophers and Notre Dame with family ties to both. Deep inside, maybe Jay Carroll wishes his son plays for his alma mater. But, it is his son's decision which he fully supports as it should be.

He is following his heart and his dream, and he put a lot of work and careful thought to where he wants to play college football.

It could be worse if he announces he is playing for the Badgers.

I wish him the very best at Notre Dame. Should he change his mind at the last minute...

I truly don't care where a high school kid decides to attend college. Millions of kids make that decision annually, none of whom impact my life directly.

My only request to athletes whose choice of school seems more important than non-athletes is that they spend as much time thinking about how to deliver their choice as they made in the choice itself.

In this case, you have a local athlete who is most likely choosing to attend a school other than his home state. Nothing wrong with that. If you're making that choice I applaud it but understand that going on television to tell your home state that you are passing on them comes off as nothing more than grandstanding and it's honestly just annoying. If you are choosing another school, show some respect to those around you and simply post it on twitter etc and let's all just move on. The TV camera shows it's all about him and it's a huge turnoff.

The one scenario where I see an athlete coming out ahead is going on TV to tell your local college that you are joining them. That's where the opportunity to raise awareness of your school and your choice to be a legacy of your state can be displayed and it looks outwardly more like pride in your area than about self promotion.

Whatever school he chooses is fine by me. I'm a Gopher fan and want to see us succeed so I hope he plays here. If not, fine, just don't be a D-bag and remind locals on TV that you leaving.....it's not needed and truthfully it makes me quite ok that you aren't sticking around.

I truly don't care where a high school kid decides to attend college. Millions of kids make that decision annually, none of whom impact my life directly.

My only request to athletes whose choice of school seems more important than non-athletes is that they spend as much time thinking about how to deliver their choice as they made in the choice itself.

In this case, you have a local athlete who is most likely choosing to attend a school other than his home state. Nothing wrong with that. If you're making that choice I applaud it but understand that going on television to tell your home state that you are passing on them comes off as nothing more than grandstanding and it's honestly just annoying. If you are choosing another school, show some respect to those around you and simply post it on twitter etc and let's all just move on. The TV camera shows it's all about him and it's a huge turnoff.

The one scenario where I see an athlete coming out ahead is going on TV to tell your local college that you are joining them. That's where the opportunity to raise awareness of your school and your choice to be a legacy of your state can be displayed and it looks outwardly more like pride in your area than about self promotion.

Whatever school he chooses is fine by me. I'm a Gopher fan and want to see us succeed so I hope he plays here. If not, fine, just don't be a D-bag and remind locals on TV that you leaving.....it's not needed and truthfully it makes me quite ok that you aren't sticking around.

Exactly how I (and probably many others) feel. Great post!

Frank Ragnow did leave a bad taste when he upped and left for Arkansas at the last minute.

To me, it seems like common sense.

It's not the same level by any means, but picture if Lebron James had done the "decision" live from the Cleveland Cavs' arena. It just a stupid thing to do.

The fact that kids need to do these little shows, and that adults care, demonstrates our level of depravity in America. Not even that long ago, I feel like, the idea of doing something like would've been considered hilarious and absurd. Now, kids are putting together edits and having announcement ceremonies for where they're going to play intramural dodgeball.

Welcome to the Kim Kardashian era.

Guys - What we post on GH does not affect the team. Not sure why this has to be explained so often. We just aren't that important, sorry.

Take it back. TAKE IT BACK!

I have fully expected him to sign with ND for a while now while holding out a little hope he stays home.
If he goes to ND then I wish him well but holding a press conference to do so on local TV is a ****** move.
If he picks the Badgers then I am going to the bar.

If we assume positive intent, which is really a good way to live life in general, we might consider that Quinn realizes many Gopher fans are invested into his decision. Going on air to announce Notre Dame may give him a platform to explain his decision as very personal, while also speaking highly of the home-state program, Fleck's recruiting, etc.

If we assume positive intent, which is really a good way to live life in general, we might consider that Quinn realizes many Gopher fans are invested into his decision. Going on air to announce Notre Dame may give him a platform to explain his decision as very personal, while also speaking highly of the home-state program, Fleck's recruiting, etc.

To me this is more Blah, Blah, Blah.

Dokay.

Bad choice for a platform.

So, I'm sick of this whole premise that this kids opinion is newsworthy regardless of who he chooses as if this is a notable event.

"Oh, yeh, I'm selecting Notre Dame, but PJ and the U of M... total first class all the way. Really remarkable!"

Gee, thanks. What's that supposed to mean.
Is the equivalent of your ex-girlfriend telling you you're really nice, but she just doesn't want to date you anymore.

But guess what, your ex's opinion should matter more to you, because she was likely at least an adult when she told you that.

I know this is the equivalent of yelling at clouds, but for KARE to give this kid news time as if it's a big event makes my head hurt.

Top Bottom