STrib: Marcus Fuller: Staley/Whalen

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://m.startribune.com/lindsay-wh...s-lynx-season-nears/481075701/?section=sports

Another Staley role model story:

Coaching a Division I college team, however, is a year-round job, so Whalen will have competing priorities. The Lynx play a 34-game regular season schedule this summer, which is also prime recruiting season.

“I expect that when she comes in to be the point guard for the Minnesota Lynx, I’m going to be getting a certain look in her eye, a certain commitment to what we’re doing,” Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve said. “What she then needs from me is that, when she walks out the door to become the head coach of the Gophers, that she is all-in there, and I don’t interfere with that world. It will be a collaborative effort to allow her to compartmentalize.”

The balancing act has already begun as Whalen gets ready for Lynx training camp and hits the gas in her new job. She took a break from pre-camp workouts last weekend to go to Chicago for the Big Ten women’s basketball meetings.

“I’ll have my phone and I’ll be in touch,” Whalen said. “We’ll be working hard, no matter where I’m at. This summer, it’s going to be a great summer for us. I think that’s something that will be a real strength and a real tool leading into the winter. We’re going for something we haven’t done with the Lynx — repeating — so we have that out there as our goal. It’s going to be a fun summer and I think balancing those things will obviously be my job.”

IMHO, she has to be one very organized person with a U BB person attached to the hip to make sure all communications are handled in the proper manner and in the right order as Coach Staley has alluded to.

Top Bottom