All Things 2018 NFL Draft

That's not at all what the question was. The question was whether I would rather have an unheralded recruit who would produce or a heralded recruit who would not produce. That's a nonsensical question, because of course we want a player who will produce. So I posed a third alternative - a heralded player who produces. Isn't that what we would all prefer?

So there are three alternatives (like you said, you put in the third alternative):
(1) Heralded player who doesn't produce;
(2) Unheralded player who produces;
(3) Heralded player who produces (this ones yours).

You seem to be saying that we all should prefer #3 to #2. Why?

Despite quotes like this over and over, people still get bent out of shape as to what their college is getting. What you rather have, a player at a 3 or less who will produce or a 4 or a 5 player who won't produce as much. I'd be curious as to what does happen to the majority of the 4's and 5's in the end.

There's plenty of data that shows 4 and 5* players are much more likely to get drafted than lower ranked high school kids.
Of course you'd rather have the 3* in your scenario but teams built with more 4 and 5* players are on average going to do better- that's a fact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So there are three alternatives (like you said, you put in the third alternative):
(1) Heralded player who doesn't produce;
(2) Unheralded player who produces;
(3) Heralded player who produces (this ones yours).

You seem to be saying that we all should prefer #3 to #2. Why?
This feels like a weird point that you’re arguing. If the results are the same in the two scenarios then you probably don’t care one way or another. And that’s just fine. But what possible reason would you have to choose #2 over #3? You see no value whatsoever in establishing a reputation that highly ranked recruits find Minnesota a desirable place to attend?

The Ravens must have given up on Maxx Williams. They've drafted two TE in the first 3 rounds.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Skol Vikes!!

Tweet from the Offensive Coordinator.

Congratulations to @Callybrian!! 3 OL drafted in the top 3 rounds out of a MAC school in the last 3 years!!#RTB#DevelopPlayers

Eagles just drafted a 6’8 345 OT from Australia that has never played football. He’s been training at IMG.

What a horrid draft for the Vikings. Aside from the kicker, not a single day 1 starter. They passed on Hernandez, Connor Williams and James Daniels, all plug and play guys to get a guy who will be at best the #3 CB, maybe even worse if Newman comes back or Alexander improves, then they pass on Orlando Brown who was likely the only plug and play OL left for an OT that still needs to add strength and probably won't even start. We took two DE's as well. The TE, Tyler Conlkin from CMU is the only pick I really like. The OG they took in the 6th probably might not even make the final roster.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Vikes had a 2016 type of season again. Isadora, Hill or Tom Compton along with Easton will be our two guards. The Rams and Eagle's D-line will have a field day against us unless we scoop up a cap casualty starter on the O-line and Cousin's ins't Keenum in terms of elusiveness.

Unless I missed it but 256 selections in the NFL Draft and not a single Gopher drafted? This program has a way to go in recruiting and/or developing talent. I hope that PJ gets us there, and gets us there quickly.

What a horrid draft for the Vikings. Aside from the kicker, not a single day 1 starter. They passed on Hernandez, Connor Williams and James Daniels, all plug and play guys to get a guy who will be at best the #3 CB, maybe even worse if Newman comes back or Alexander improves, then they pass on Orlando Brown who was likely the only plug and play OL left for an OT that still needs to add strength and probably won't even start. We took two DE's as well. The TE, Tyler Conlkin from CMU is the only pick I really like. The OG they took in the 6th probably might not even make the final roster.

From the mn vikings subreddit:

t595ylr0mpu01.jpg

One thing that really stood out to me in the draft was the number of walk-ons that ended up high draft picks. You had 3 first rounders, including #1 overall pick Baker Mayfield who were all walk-ons, and then the first pick of the 2nd round Austin Corbett was a former walk on as well. Then later in the 2nd round you had guys from UTEP, South Carolina State, South Dakota State, and Sam Houston State all get drafted. If you just take the former walk-ons and the small school guys, you've got 10 of the first 64 picks that were available to just about any power 5 schools. It's an even bigger list if you assume guys would take a power 5 offer over Memphis/UCF level schools. As much as recruiting gets covered, there is still a pretty significant percentage of elite football players that slip through the cracks. I know Iowa has put quite a few former walk ons in to the NFL and Wisconsin has recently as well. It would be nice if Minnesota could join that party and start to identify/develop some kids through their walk on program. I believe Marcus Sherels is the only former walk-on Gopher that is playing in the NFL though Isaac Fruechte bounced around the Vikings/Lions practice squads for a while and I believe he was a walk-on as well.

To go two drafts in a row at a power 5 school and produce a total of 1 NFL draft pick (a 7th rounder at that) is not a recipe for success.

As for the Vikings pretty bland draft in my opinion. Hughes is likely the nickel as a rookie, is he that much of an upgrade over Alexander who will be in year 3? O'Neill has by most accounts a high upside, but is almost uniformly believed to be a project that's not ready to start in year 1. The best case scenario for Holmes is probably a rotational DT in year 1 and for Conklin his best case scenario is probably as a situational TE in year 1. Outside of Carlson (is he going to be a big upgrade over Forbath at K?), it's hard to find an immediate starter in the group. I don't dislike the draft and it could look very good in a year or two, but for a team that's Super Bowl window is open now, it doesn't seem like they added much immediate impact.

One thing that really stood out to me in the draft was the number of walk-ons that ended up high draft picks. You had 3 first rounders, including #1 overall pick Baker Mayfield who were all walk-ons, and then the first pick of the 2nd round Austin Corbett was a former walk on as well. Then later in the 2nd round you had guys from UTEP, South Carolina State, South Dakota State, and Sam Houston State all get drafted. If you just take the former walk-ons and the small school guys, you've got 10 of the first 64 picks that were available to just about any power 5 schools. It's an even bigger list if you assume guys would take a power 5 offer over Memphis/UCF level schools. As much as recruiting gets covered, there is still a pretty significant percentage of elite football players that slip through the cracks. I know Iowa has put quite a few former walk ons in to the NFL and Wisconsin has recently as well. It would be nice if Minnesota could join that party and start to identify/develop some kids through their walk on program. I believe Marcus Sherels is the only former walk-on Gopher that is playing in the NFL though Isaac Fruechte bounced around the Vikings/Lions practice squads for a while and I believe he was a walk-on as well.

To go two drafts in a row at a power 5 school and produce a total of 1 NFL draft pick (a 7th rounder at that) is not a recipe for success.

As for the Vikings pretty bland draft in my opinion. Hughes is likely the nickel as a rookie, is he that much of an upgrade over Alexander who will be in year 3? O'Neill has by most accounts a high upside, but is almost uniformly believed to be a project that's not ready to start in year 1. The best case scenario for Holmes is probably a rotational DT in year 1 and for Conklin his best case scenario is probably as a situational TE in year 1. Outside of Carlson (is he going to be a big upgrade over Forbath at K?), it's hard to find an immediate starter in the group. I don't dislike the draft and it could look very good in a year or two, but for a team that's Super Bowl window is open now, it doesn't seem like they added much immediate impact.

Good post. It will be interesting to see how Mayfield and really all the first round QBs (like Jackson) make the transition to the pros. A snark might suggest the Bills landed a Tanner Lee-like
prospect in the 1st round instead of the 6th. A lot of intrigue in that QB class.

Things that surprised me a little bit: I noticed Fumagali fell deep into the 5th round which was a little surprising. Same size as Maxx, incredible hands. Not sure what the issue was there maybe overall athleticism. Justin Jackson a seventh rounder, and Akram Wadley UDFA. Lacking NFL size I would guess.

There's plenty of data that shows 4 and 5* players are much more likely to get drafted than lower ranked high school kids.
Of course you'd rather have the 3* in your scenario but teams built with more 4 and 5* players are on average going to do better- that's a fact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the Success Rate for 5-Star Recruits Reaching the NFL?
Brian Leigh, Bleacher Report, January 29, 2014

Note: This article has been moved to its own thread.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 former 5-star recruits selected in 1st round of 2018 NFL Draft - https://247sports.com/Article/7-former-5-star-recruits-selected-in-first-round-of-2018-NFL-Draft-117732666

Top Bottom