Kill hired as SIU AD

Good luck, Jerry. This is not what the doctor ordered.

O/U until he overworks himself, has massive health episode, and "retires" for the 3rd time: 9 months

Didn't he not like all the extra administrative stuff we had him doing while he was HC here?

I wonder if he will hire a liaison to go between him and the coaches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if he will hire a liaison to go between him and the coaches?
I’m wondering if he’ll try to help the FB coach, coach the team.

ol 'jer is a ball coach. it's in his blood, it's who he is. he just wants to help the boys.

I love Jerry and all.... but AD isn't his job.

He seems to have a low tolerance for BS, and AD and BS go hand in hand.

Happy for Coach Kill. I think he’ll be a hell of an Athletic Director.

Didn't he not like all the extra administrative stuff we had him doing while he was HC here?

I don't think it was that he didn't like it....it was frustrating because he had a football team to coach...not be the AD/ lead fund raising guy while Norwood was here. Then when Norwood exited he felt compelled to do even more and tapped out. He works his butt off, he accomplishes things, he's relentless and he whines while he does it. Just who he is.

But nothing but the best of luck to Jerry. Sadly the next step is head football coach/AD.

I understand the skepticism but I don't share it. I think that in his new position Kill will be able to maintain the structure and get the rest that he needs to thrive, and I think he'll be an exceptional AD.

Best of luck to you, Jerry! I wish that you were still our coach.

I am curious as to why people think he shouldn't work. Presumably Kill has enough money to retire, but what the hell are middle class people with epilepsy supposed to do?

He may have seizures again and that's fine. He should be judged on the quality of his work- not his health.

+1 Best of luck Jerry

I am curious as to why people think he shouldn't work. Presumably Kill has enough money to retire, but what the hell are middle class people with epilepsy supposed to do?

He may have seizures again and that's fine. He should be judged on the quality of his work- not his health.

I personally don't think it's fair to the people under him. There are always young and hungry people who will be willing to bend over backwards to please their boss. With him, it's even worse for the people under him when they have to pick up the slack and work even harder because his health doesn't allow him to be available and working as much as his heart and his head want him to. I'm not going to tell him what to do - but it would be nice for him to realize the position that his health puts other people in. There are plenty of things for him to do that don't require a paid position and formal work hours.

AD's put in long hours, work hard, Jerry could work at Starbucks and he'll want to put in 110%....

But health aside Jerry was king of his own little kingdom wherever he went. AD is not that way at all.

AD's put in long hours, work hard, Jerry could work at Starbucks and he'll want to put in 110%....

But health aside Jerry was king of his own little kingdom wherever he went. AD is not that way at all.

People all think ADs work long, hard hours. What would be hard? Attending games, meeting donors- doubt it is all that hard.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I did not get the impression that Kill was going to be the permanent AD. In one news story I found, the President of the school said that Kill would oversee the athletics department for an "undetermined" amount of time. Another story referred to Kill as "overseeing" the athletics department for the immediate future.

I got the distinct impression that Kill is strictly a caretaker until such time as SIU hires a new full-time AD.

I think it's more a case of "we need someone to fill in, and Jerry's already here, so let him do it."

Maybe I'm missing something, but I did not get the impression that Kill was going to be the permanent AD. In one news story I found, the President of the school said that Kill would oversee the athletics department for an "undetermined" amount of time. Another story referred to Kill as "overseeing" the athletics department for the immediate future.

I got the distinct impression that Kill is strictly a caretaker until such time as SIU hires a new full-time AD.

I think it's more a case of "we need someone to fill in, and Jerry's already here, so let him do it."

Very possible he's just a sort of figurehead AD, doing a few things but has a core team of assistant AD's who work well. That would work.

People all think ADs work long, hard hours. What would be hard? Attending games, meeting donors- doubt it is all that hard.

Every time I've heard an AD describe the job seemed hard, long hours, and stressful. Maybe they're all full of it or something.

An AD is in charge of 20 little businesses (however many sports programs the school has). What could go wrong? You got 20 different coaches each with their own demands and requests and their own culture.
The AD is responsible for the success of those programs. Hiring and firing. Assistant coaches...approval at the minimum. Better know something about this person when questions arise.

You have parents of the athletes each coming to you complaining about playing time or the mis-treatment of their child to some degree for some reason.

Each of those sports has a budget to be managed. Schedules, referees, game day support personnel....ushers, ticket takers, concessions, video, sound, entertainment. Sometimes 3 or 4 or 5 of these going on at once.
Transportation to and from away games.

Complaints from teachers about something an individual coach is doing or the overall program has too much emphasis on athletics and not academics. Or academics is diminished because this sport is too successful.

But he is responsible to an an administrator who doesn't care about his problems only results...winning, public perception etc. No complaints better go that high up the chain or the AD is under fire from another level of concern.

Media, TV policies to oversee and monitor. What is being said? Social media monitoring...what could go wrong?

Win or lose the complaints are never ending. And actually, far less complaining all around if you are a losing program. NOBODY cares, nobody complains. It's not important to anybody.

It is a very demanding job done right.

I'm sure there are more tasks and firestorms that didn't come to mind.... hard job if winning is important to you.

Every time I've heard an AD describe the job seemed hard, long hours, and stressful. Maybe they're all full of it or something.

Yeah, Maturi didn't get much accomplished but he worked his arse off, 70-80 hrs week.

I'm going to assume that you're joking.

I wasn't joking. An emergency room doctor? Hard.

An AD? Not so hard. What they need is a vision.

Mark Coyle is paid well (850 K per year) and I am sure he puts in a lot of odd hours but I really doubt his job is more exhausting than most of the full time workers on this board.

I wasn't joking. An emergency room doctor? Hard.

An AD? Not so hard. What they need is a vision.

Mark Coyle is paid well (850 K per year) and I am sure he puts in a lot of odd hours but I really doubt his job is more exhausting than most of the full time workers on this board.

Oh, I didn't realize you were literally referring to physical labor. Of course that is more exhausting than an office job, but it doesn't mean the hours aren't hard. Imagine that your typical day starts at 7 or 8 am and ends after a basketball (or soccer, or football, or swim/dive, or track & field, or golf, etc., etc., etc.) game is over at 10 or 11 pm. And you're doing this most every day throughout the year, nights and weekends, being apart from your family, traveling across the country, raising money, managing staff, managing strategic priorities, and so forth. Since when does a job have to be manual labor and/or on your feet all day for it to be demanding and exhausting? They don't hand out high-six-figure salaries for cushy jobs.

I love Jerry and all.... but AD isn't his job.

He seems to have a low tolerance for BS, and AD and BS go hand in hand.

Being that he’s full it; maybe that is why he keeps getting sick?[emoji41]

I personally don't think it's fair to the people under him. There are always young and hungry people who will be willing to bend over backwards to please their boss. With him, it's even worse for the people under him when they have to pick up the slack and work even harder because his health doesn't allow him to be available and working as much as his heart and his head want him to. I'm not going to tell him what to do - but it would be nice for him to realize the position that his health puts other people in. There are plenty of things for him to do that don't require a paid position and formal work hours.

I think it is more likely that Jerry will work too hard, have a seizure episode, then come back to work too fast in order to prevent his staff from having to pick up the slack. Any time away will gnaw at him.

At SIU, it might be possible to structure the job with careful staff development and delegation to keep the hours and stress level reasonable. Young and hungry people love it when they are entrusted with responsibility. But I fear Jerry is just not wired that way. Maybe this time it will be different. I hope so.

Top Bottom