2018 Minnesota Timberwolves Off-Season Thread

Zgoda looks at shooters, "stoppers" and sleepers.

Timberwolves management traveled to Chicago for the NBA’s annual draft combine and around the country for prospects’ pro days. They’ve also worked out and interviewed a parade of visiting players here at home, looking for shooters and versatile defenders who can play multiple positions and switch on every pick-and-roll play. There’s no telling how Thursday’s draft will unfold, but here are some of the many possibilities the Wolves will consider if they keep their 20th overall pick:

http://www.startribune.com/timberwo...521/?ref=nl&om_rid=1635722697&om_mid=95941065

Seems like a good draft for wings.

Unless they somehow get Leonard, they should just trade Butler (and Wiggins if anyone will take him) and build around KAT for 2-3 years from now. Tweaking the current roster to get the #5 or #6 seed and lose in the first round again, and then Fire Thibs and let Butler leave as a FA is pointless. If Labron goes to the Lakers or Rockets the Wolves have zero chance of winning the West.

Seems like a good draft for wings.

The Wolves think so too.

Jon Krawczynski
@JonKrawczynski

(Wolves G.M.)Layden says Wolves are fortunate because their needs (wings, shooting) line up with what they feel will be available at 20. Said last year there were a lot of bigs around 16. This year should be better for need.

9:50 AM - 20 Jun 2018

Unless they somehow get Leonard, they should just trade Butler (and Wiggins if anyone will take him) and build around KAT for 2-3 years from now. Tweaking the current roster to get the #5 or #6 seed and lose in the first round again, and then Fire Thibs and let Butler leave as a FA is pointless. If Labron goes to the Lakers or Rockets the Wolves have zero chance of winning the West.

I think Butler was negative for Wiggins and we will rue the day we traded away Lauri Markkanen...big time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Butler was negative for Wiggins and we will rue the day we traded away Lauri Markkanen...big time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course you have to believe we would have drafted him and not some Jhonny Flynn stiff.

Wolves coach Tom Thibodeau: 'We are in a good place' - Strib

Well okay then.

"Asked if all is well in relations with Towns, Thibodeau said, “Yeah, yeah. He’s doing quite well. And I love KAT. He has had a terrific start to his career. He’s doing a little bit of traveling right now. Jimmy [Butler] is doing a little bit of traveling as well. So we’ve got two world travelers right now, but they’ll be back shortly. To get to where we are — obviously we’re not ultimately where we want to be, but it was a major step forward — you can’t do it individually. It’s got to be the whole group doing it together. And for the most part, I think we are in a good place.”

• When asked about the coaching and support staff moves, Thibodeau said, “I don’t want to get into all that stuff, other than it’s not uncommon. It’s unfortunate. You’re always trying to put the team first and what the team needs are and what makes us better. And often times there are tough decisions that have to be made. Obviously, we wish those guys well and we’re looking forward to the challenges that are ahead.”

• The Wolves own the 20th and 48th picks Thursday and Thibodeau said anything remains possible as they try to address their needs.

“It’s one of the few times through the year you have a chance to improve the club, so all options are open right now,” he said. “We know there’s a great challenge in front of us. The shooting and the toughness, the defense and building the depth.”

• As for depth, Thibodeau for the first time said last summer’s 16th overall pick Justin Patton probably will miss both summer-league play and what he called the “fall” — which could include September workouts and October training after undergoing a second foot surgery.

He said the good news is Patton played much of last season in the G League, albeit with a minutes restriction...

http://www.startribune.com/wolves-coach-tom-thibodeau-we-are-in-a-good-place/486053381/

I don't care if he's 4 feet tall or 8 feet tall; just give me someone that can shoot.

Nice.

The Los Angeles Lakers contacted the San Antonio Spurs after Kawhi Leonard's public trade request last week but immediately felt the Spurs had no intention of engaging in any dialogue, sources close to the situation told ESPN.

As one Lakers source put it, "They basically shut the door on us."

No players were discussed and, as ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported Thursday, there has been no further dialogue between the teams.

Leonard has expressed a preference to be traded to Los Angeles, specifically the Lakers.

However when the Lakers called to express interest in Leonard, they were given the distinct impression the Spurs had no interest in doing business with them, according to sources.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...t-spurs-had-no-further-dialogue-kawhi-leonard

Sid: Timberwolves' top pick possesses the skills team needs

Georgia Tech guard Josh Okogie wasn’t the name many draft prognosticators expected to be called when it came to the Timberwolves selection at No. 20 in the NBA draft on Thursday, but Okogie surely possesses some of the skills the Wolves were looking for late in the first round.

He has all the marks of a good shooter who can get better. He hit 82.8 percent of his free-throw attempts, which was good for 10th in the ACC last year, while also finishing 14th in shooting percentage at 41.6 percent.

Okogie also performed well against top competition. When the Yellow Jackets squared off with No. 9 Duke last February, he scored 29 points on 18 shots to go along with six rebounds, four assists, two steals and one block and was the most dominant player on a court shared with a number of first-round picks on Thursday night, such as Duke’s Grayson Allen and Wendell Carter Jr.

Still, it’s his defense that is going to be intriguing for Tom Thibodeau, the Wolves coach and president of basketball operations. While Okogie is only 6-4, he has a 7-foot wingspan — the fourth-longest measurement of any guard at the NBA combine — and can guard multiple positions.

When Georgia Tech faced Florida State in January, Okogie grabbed 16 rebounds and scored 16 points.

“They love the fact that he’s got a long wingspan. They love the fact that he’s a year younger, he did well at the combine,” his coach, Josh Pastner, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution before the draft. “They love his character.”

http://www.startribune.com/timberwolves-top-pick-possesses-the-skills-team-needs/486222211/

Howl Wolves!!

SI grade:

20. MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES (VIA THUNDER): JOSH OKOGIE, GEOGIA TECH
Minnesota, and Tom Thibodeau in particular, loves tough, athletic perimeter players, and that’s exactly what Okogie is. He offers a lot more upside than some of the guys in this part of the draft. Although he will require some polish to reach his full potential, given the Wolves’ need for a defensive-minded player to take some pressure off their stars, he fits that bill nicely. It’s possible he can evolve into a starting-caliber guard as he continues to slow the game down and tap into his talent. Grade: A-

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/06/21/2018-nba-draft-grades-players-teams-pick-analysis

Howl Wolves!!

SI grade:

20. MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES (VIA THUNDER): JOSH OKOGIE, GEOGIA TECH
Minnesota, and Tom Thibodeau in particular, loves tough, athletic perimeter players, and that’s exactly what Okogie is. He offers a lot more upside than some of the guys in this part of the draft. Although he will require some polish to reach his full potential, given the Wolves’ need for a defensive-minded player to take some pressure off their stars, he fits that bill nicely. It’s possible he can evolve into a starting-caliber guard as he continues to slow the game down and tap into his talent. Grade: A-

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/06/21/2018-nba-draft-grades-players-teams-pick-analysis

Howl Wolves!!

Would have taken Robert Williams. Ainge nicely scooped him up for the Celtics

Would have taken Robert Williams. Ainge nicely scooped him up for the Celtics

Kid has all kinds of talent, but nearly everybody complains about his work ethic and "heart".

In the "you can't make it up" category he overslept and missed his introductory press conference! :D

Robert Williams, the Boston Celtics' first-round selection in the 2018 draft, admitted he overslept the team's originally scheduled introductory conference call on Friday morning, although the team believes it was simply a miscommunication compounded by different time zones.

Williams, a projected lottery pick, did not attend the draft in New York and instead spent Thursday with family in his native Louisiana, where he watched the draft from a party at a Buffalo Wild Wings.

The Celtics snagged Williams with the No. 27 pick but ran into troubles trying to get him on the phone in the aftermath of the selection, including with Friday's 11 a.m. EST call...

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...oston-celtics-1st-round-pick-sleeps-call-team

CBS grade:

TIMBERWOLVES
PICKS

20. Josh Okogie | Georgia Tech | Soph | SG | 6-5 | 211

48. Keita Bates-Diop | Ohio St. | Jr | PF | 6-9 | 224

The Timberwolves drafted a potential 3-and-D talent with Josh Okogie at 20. He has potential to be great, and I like the fit in Minnesota. The real steal for the Wolves though is drafting Keita Bates-Diop at 48. First-round talent who had a stunning freefall on draft night. Grade: B+

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...-a-d-for-the-wizards-heres-every-teams-grade/

Howl Wolves!!

So, the $64,000 question: will Thibs actually play his draft picks?

If Thibs keeps playing his starters 40+ minutes a night, they will be lucky to make it to the all-star break before half the team is injured.

It's starting to look like hiring Thibs was another classic Timberwolves mistake. Hired the Wrong coach at the Wrong time.

If Glen Taylor has any spine, he should give Thibs an ultimatum: use the bench and play the young kids more, or you're fired. But, that's not Taylor's style, so I suspect he'll do nothing and we can all watch the team blow up.

So, the $64,000 question: will Thibs actually play his draft picks?

If Thibs keeps playing his starters 40+ minutes a night, they will be lucky to make it to the all-star break before half the team is injured.

It's starting to look like hiring Thibs was another classic Timberwolves mistake. Hired the Wrong coach at the Wrong time.

If Glen Taylor has any spine, he should give Thibs an ultimatum: use the bench and play the young kids more, or you're fired. But, that's not Taylor's style, so I suspect he'll do nothing and we can all watch the team blow up.

Even if Taylor made that threat it would be pretty hollow one. Thibs has about $23 million left his contract. He signed a 5-year deal in 2016.

Pretty sure neither Taylor or his partners would eat that money just yet.

per Sid:

• Bovada listed its Rookie of the Year odds for the newest NBA draft class and neither of the Timberwolves picks, Josh Okogie or Keita Bates-Diop, made the list.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-face-challenge-of-high-expectations-as-camp-nears/486363661/

Howl Wolves!!

In order to get votes for Rookie of the Year, you have to play in games and make an impact. The Wolves rookies will probably play fewer minutes than any other team in the league - until all the starters break down from playing 40 minutes a night.

STrib: First-round pick Josh Okogie ready to get to work with Timberwolves

Undecided if he should begin his professional future until he participated in May’s Chicago draft combine, new Timberwolves guard Josh Okogie says the transformation from collegiate to NBA player all came home when he entered an elevator the other day and someone sized him up by asking if he plays basketball.

“Then they were like, ‘What team do you play for?’ ” he said Tuesday. “I almost said, ‘Georgia Tech’ because I played there the last two years. It felt good to say ‘Minnesota Timberwolves.’ ”

And funny, but in January somebody else asked him what NBA player he compares himself with and he answered the Wolves’ Jimmy Butler.

Now he’s here, preparing to play alongside a player who once was drafted 30th overall in 2011 and worked to become a four-time All-Star.

“It’s crazy, I said that months ago,” Okogie said. “To finally be here, in an organization like this, is certainly a blessing.”

The Wolves introduced Okogie and Ohio State forward Keita Bates-Diop on Tuesday at Mayo Clinic Square and after a news conference, both players posed with their new jerseys alongside Wolves coach/president of basketball operations Tom Thibodeau and General Manager Scott Layden.

Okogie projects himself to be the kind of player Butler is, one who plays both ends of the floor.

“[Butler is] offense and defense,” said Okogie, who made himself a first-round pick by the way he tested, played and interviewed at the Chicago combine. “A lot of guys just worry about scoring. Some guys just worry about defense. But the fact that he can do both at a high level is something I find appealing ...

“I feel I can learn a lot of things from him, just the pride he brings to the game at both ends of the court. That’s something I want to do myself. I feel I have a lot to learn and I’m ready to listen.”

The way Thibodeau tells it, Butler kept his mouth closed and his ears wide open during his rookie season in Chicago long ago.

He sees some of Butler in Okogie, who was born in Nigeria but raised east of Atlanta.

http://www.startribune.com/new-wolv...ita-bates-diop-ready-to-start-work/486600111/

Howl Wolves!!

I copied this from another site:

http://www.1500espn.com/the-scoop-2/...allout-ep-156/

• Wolves are still after a wing in FA, Thibs wants to go more small ball with Butler playing more at the 4. Thinks it will be a 2/3. If its just a 2 he will be a really good shooter.
• Thorpe thinks Wiggins has been horribly developed and we should play faster.
• Thorpe thinks Thibs has a bad reputation amongst players in terms of luring players.
• Thinks players will talk to Crawford about signing here and Crawford couldn’t get out of here any faster. Things he liked as a whole but had no interest in playing for Thibs.
• Thorpe has never once had a player who didn’t love living in Minneapolis, they liked playing for the franchise even when they were dog ****, never had a player complain about the weather. Players with kids loved Minneapolis. Only 2 complaints hes ever had, lack of an imaginative ownership group and now playing for Thibs isn’t fun.
• Doogie said he heard Thibs has lightened up a bit in practice and changed from Chicago days. Thorpe said not at all what hes heard. He also said its stupid to compare him to what he was you need to compare him to what else is out there and he fails spectacularly.
• Players talk a lot and its well known its not fun to play for Thibs, he isn’t fun, practices aren’t fun, hours of grinding through tape isn’t fun, he just wears you down.
• Thorpe thinks Bradley, Barton, Ariza, maybe Jerami Grant, and Brewer (he didn’t really say yes or no) are good fits. Tyreke Evans, Gerald Green (couldn’t handle Thibs), Rudy Gay (no motor and wont handle Thibs), KCP, make it Wayne, Tolliver, Seth Curry, and Joe Harris (best of the nots) are not. He went for guys checking 3 boxes (defense, transition, and 3p shooting) guys who don’t only check 1 or 2 boxes. If you can’t get the 3 boxes target guys who can have good 3p% first. Brewer would move to MSP in a second loves it here.
• Thinks franchise is trash at developing players due to number of players that never reach the potential that is expected, and will let Bjelica go.
• He reiterated that literally every player hes talked to loved living in MSP or playing there.
• Talked about how literally our only knocks in the league are the fact that our ownership group and coach are a joke. (Awesome).
• (Outside of Spurs and Dubs) thinks Miami and OKC have the best reputation in how they treat players and best orgs to play for.
• Suns, Jazz, and Spurs have interest in Bjelica. Him and his family like being in Minnesota but he wants more minutes.
• Never came close on draft night to trading Gorgui. Teams are aware that hes available. Bazemore deals wasn’t remotely close.
• Ryan Brokeoff (sp?) was in for a workout on Monday. He can shoot, apparently lights out, hes a stretch 4.
• We have full MLE.
• Talked to Taylor during draft, all stuff with Thibs are apparently in the past. Its not "kumbyah let’s hold hands". But all are on about the same page.
• They were in on DiVincenzo, he was above Okogie on the board but went to the Bucks.
• Medical red flags for KBD led to his drop. But hes as good as advertised.
• Wolves don’t have interest in Joe Harris. Pacers, Nets, Lakers, Spurs, Rockets, and a few others but isn’t a sense league wide that we are interested.
• Jerami Grant under the radar FA for Minnesota. Keep an eye on him. (Did he play for Thibs?)

Pardon my ignorance, but who is Thorpe? Is he about a Doogie on the credibility scale?

Pardon my ignorance, but who is Thorpe? Is he about a Doogie on the credibility scale?

Thorpe is very well plugged in. He's a trainer for many players, worked for ESPN, etc. and he knows what he's talking about. I heard the interview this morning and it was very interesting. Good to hear that Minneapolis is not a limiting factor ever, but bad to hear (and confirming what we all know) that our front office and coaching staff situation is the deterrent.

https://twitter.com/coachthorpe?lang=en

Howl Wolves!!

I copied this from another site:

http://www.1500espn.com/the-scoop-2/...allout-ep-156/

• Wolves are still after a wing in FA, Thibs wants to go more small ball with Butler playing more at the 4. Thinks it will be a 2/3. If its just a 2 he will be a really good shooter.
• Thorpe thinks Wiggins has been horribly developed and we should play faster.
• Thorpe thinks Thibs has a bad reputation amongst players in terms of luring players.
• Thinks players will talk to Crawford about signing here and Crawford couldn’t get out of here any faster. Things he liked as a whole but had no interest in playing for Thibs.
• Thorpe has never once had a player who didn’t love living in Minneapolis, they liked playing for the franchise even when they were dog ****, never had a player complain about the weather. Players with kids loved Minneapolis. Only 2 complaints hes ever had, lack of an imaginative ownership group and now playing for Thibs isn’t fun.
• Doogie said he heard Thibs has lightened up a bit in practice and changed from Chicago days. Thorpe said not at all what hes heard. He also said its stupid to compare him to what he was you need to compare him to what else is out there and he fails spectacularly.
• Players talk a lot and its well known its not fun to play for Thibs, he isn’t fun, practices aren’t fun, hours of grinding through tape isn’t fun, he just wears you down.
• Thorpe thinks Bradley, Barton, Ariza, maybe Jerami Grant, and Brewer (he didn’t really say yes or no) are good fits. Tyreke Evans, Gerald Green (couldn’t handle Thibs), Rudy Gay (no motor and wont handle Thibs), KCP, make it Wayne, Tolliver, Seth Curry, and Joe Harris (best of the nots) are not. He went for guys checking 3 boxes (defense, transition, and 3p shooting) guys who don’t only check 1 or 2 boxes. If you can’t get the 3 boxes target guys who can have good 3p% first. Brewer would move to MSP in a second loves it here.
• Thinks franchise is trash at developing players due to number of players that never reach the potential that is expected, and will let Bjelica go.
• He reiterated that literally every player hes talked to loved living in MSP or playing there.
• Talked about how literally our only knocks in the league are the fact that our ownership group and coach are a joke. (Awesome).
• (Outside of Spurs and Dubs) thinks Miami and OKC have the best reputation in how they treat players and best orgs to play for.
• Suns, Jazz, and Spurs have interest in Bjelica. Him and his family like being in Minnesota but he wants more minutes.
• Never came close on draft night to trading Gorgui. Teams are aware that hes available. Bazemore deals wasn’t remotely close.
• Ryan Brokeoff (sp?) was in for a workout on Monday. He can shoot, apparently lights out, hes a stretch 4.
• We have full MLE.
• Talked to Taylor during draft, all stuff with Thibs are apparently in the past. Its not "kumbyah let’s hold hands". But all are on about the same page.
• They were in on DiVincenzo, he was above Okogie on the board but went to the Bucks.
• Medical red flags for KBD led to his drop. But hes as good as advertised.
• Wolves don’t have interest in Joe Harris. Pacers, Nets, Lakers, Spurs, Rockets, and a few others but isn’t a sense league wide that we are interested.
• Jerami Grant under the radar FA for Minnesota. Keep an eye on him. (Did he play for Thibs?)

So was this a mix of Thorpe and Doogie takes? I believe Thorpe on the player opinions part. But if hes talking FA rumors, I wouldnt believe him. And I dont believe anything Doogie says.

Thorpe is very well plugged in. He's a trainer for many players, worked for ESPN, etc. and he knows what he's talking about. I heard the interview this morning and it was very interesting. Good to hear that Minneapolis is not a limiting factor ever, but bad to hear (and confirming what we all know) that our front office and coaching staff situation is the deterrent.

https://twitter.com/coachthorpe?lang=en

Howl Wolves!!
Thanks, Bleed. You da man!

Biggest NBA free-agency and trade decisions for all 30 teams - ESPN: Wolves

Minnesota Timberwolves

Offseason focus:

Change the bench narrative: Selling a real role in free agency with limited resources

The structure of a Karl-Anthony Towns extension

The future finances: Three max contracts in 2019?

Exceptions

Non-tax midlevel: $8.6M

Bi-annual: $3.4M

Cap-space breakdown

With Jamal Crawford opting out, Minnesota has $117 million in salary with five roster spots open. The Timberwolves do have the option of waiving Cole Aldrich before June 30, which would save $4.9 million.

Minnesota has the $8.6 million non-taxpayer midlevel or $3.4 million bi-annual exceptions, but using the full exception (or anything more than $5.3 million) would hard cap the Wolves and likely put them in the tax once the remainder of the roster is filled out.

Expect Minnesota to use a portion of the non-tax midlevel to sign Keita Bates-Diop to a contract that exceeds two seasons.

Team needs

Starter: None

Bench: SG, SF, PF

Free-agent status:

Jamal Crawford | Non-Bird

Derrick Rose | Non-Bird

Aaron Brooks | Non-Bird

Marcus Georges-Hunt | Non-Bird

Nemanja Bjelica | Restricted Bird

Amile Jefferson | Non-Bird

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...e-agency-trade-extension-decisions-every-team

Least Surprising Wolves News of the Day

Minnesota is sitting right at $112M in salary after the Cole Aldrich waiver. The Timberwolves will incur a $2M cap hit and will have the choice to stretch the amount owed over three years. Stretching the money would save the Timberwolves $1.37M this year but with the possibility of having 3 max contracts in 2019, Minnesota might be best to take the cap hit in one season.

Derrick Rose to sign 1-year deal to stay with Timberwolves - Chicago Tribune

Good deal for the Wolves, particularly at that price.

Derrick Rose and the Timberwolves will be counting on one another next season.

The former Bulls superstar, the 2011 NBA MVP, has agreed to a one-year deal worth nearly $2.4 millionto stay with the Wolves, a person with knowledge of the negotiations said early Sunday. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because nothing can be signed until Friday. Rose played for Timberwolves coach Tom Thibodeau with the Bulls.

Rose appeared in 25 games last season — 16 with the Cavaliers, then nine off the bench with the Wolves. Rose averaged 5.8 points in those games with the Timberwolves, who lost to the Rockets in the first round of the Western Conference playoffs, their first playoff berth since 2004.

Rose led Simeon to two Illinois state championships in high school and helped Memphis to the NCAA championship game in 2008 before being drafted first overall by the Bulls.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...derrick-rose-timberwolves-20180701-story.html

Rose really stepped up his game towards the end of the year. Took him a little while to get comfortable....but he was an important piece. Glad that he's coming back.

Minnesota Timberwolves

Like Irving, Jimmy Butler has no incentive to sign a long-term extension in Minnesota this offseason ... unless his injury history makes $100 million guaranteed too overwhelming to turn down.

Butler is coming off an injury-marred season in which the guard played 59 games, the second fewest of his career. In fact, since Butler was drafted in 2011, the All-Star has logged only two seasons in which he played 70 games or more.

Butler is eligible to sign a four-year, $109 million extension starting on July 6 but will likely bypass any talks and become a free agent in 2019. A new contract then could be worth five years, $188 million in Minnesota or four years, $139 million with a new team.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23929966/nba-free-agency-all-star-rookie-extensions-watch

Rose really stepped up his game towards the end of the year. Took him a little while to get comfortable....but he was an important piece. Glad that he's coming back.

Agreed. He was pretty solid against the Rockets in that playoff series.

Oh, just saw this apparently there is more than $2.4 million involved for Rose, it not for the Wolves.

"Money also was a secondary concern for him thanks to the endorsement deal he signed with Adidas during the apex of his career. Just for being on an NBA roster next season, Rose will earn more than $14.5 million from the shoe company, according to ESPN. That kind of financial security allows Rose to make his decisions based purely on basketball and fit reasons, and he feels like he fits well with Thibodeau in Minnesota."

Good deal for the Wolves, particularly at that price.

Derrick Rose and the Timberwolves will be counting on one another next season.

The former Bulls superstar, the 2011 NBA MVP, has agreed to a one-year deal worth nearly $2.4 millionto stay with the Wolves, a person with knowledge of the negotiations said early Sunday. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because nothing can be signed until Friday. Rose played for Timberwolves coach Tom Thibodeau with the Bulls.

Rose appeared in 25 games last season — 16 with the Cavaliers, then nine off the bench with the Wolves. Rose averaged 5.8 points in those games with the Timberwolves, who lost to the Rockets in the first round of the Western Conference playoffs, their first playoff berth since 2004.

Rose led Simeon to two Illinois state championships in high school and helped Memphis to the NCAA championship game in 2008 before being drafted first overall by the Bulls.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...derrick-rose-timberwolves-20180701-story.html

I'm very ok with this since I feared it would be for longer and more. One year at the minimum is really perfect. His play against Houston (only against Houston) showed he was worth a contract but the last 3+ years showed he isn't worth anything more than what he got.

Top Bottom