In-depth Article: Jonathan Celestin’s football journey is fueled by a father-son bond

DanielHouse

Reaction score
by: Daniel House

https://main.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/911574?referrer_id=331171

A young child tosses a football through the dense Georgia air as a receiver stands in the distance. The ball whizzes into a father’s gentle hands and a smile crosses his face. Every Saturday, a father-son duo pretended they were on the game’s biggest stage, with seconds left on the clock.

Years later, former Gophers linebacker Jonathan Celestin is steps away from the NFL with his dad watching from the best seat in the house. His son’s maroon and gold No. 13 jersey on his back, the same one he wore almost every day.

In the face of tragedy, the bond between a father and son was stronger than ever. Last April, Jonathan’s father, Frederick Celestin was struck and killed by a vehicle on his way to work in Albany, Ga. At the time of the accident, Jonathan’s father was wearing his maroon and gold No. 13 Gophers jersey, a possession which rarely came off his back.

It was proof – a father and son’s bond is timeless.

“I think almost every time I seen him, I knew he would always have that jersey on because of how proud he was that I was up here doing my thing,” Celestin said. “I have it framed in a case. He had my jersey on when he passed away.”

On Oct. 21, 2017, linebacker Jonathan Celestin couldn’t help but think about his father as he settled into the middle of Minnesota’s defense. It was Celestin’s final Homecoming game in maroon and gold, a day where a dream at the park came to life.

Illinois lined up in a trips formation trailing 17-10 with 4:19 remaining. The running back flared and the quarterback’s eyes locked into a slant across the middle. Celestin dropped his hips and leapt in the air, as the football swirled through the crisp fall air. The pass was secured, but the play wasn’t truly complete until Celestin reached the end zone.

“I told myself I was going to get a pick-six for [my dad] at the beginning of the year,” Celestin said. “In my head, I was like, ‘don’t stop, score, don’t let nothing stop you.’ Once I hit the end zone, the emotions just took over.”

Celestin reached his final destination, soaking in the adrenaline rush of a game-cinching interception. He pointed to the sky to share the moment with his father, who was with him in spirit.

“I looked right up at him because I knew he was there the whole time,” Celestin said.

The crowd erupted in celebration as Celestin sprinted to the sideline, looking up at his dad the entire way. He was suddenly stopped in his tracks by head coach P.J. Fleck, who embraced him whispering into his ear, “I know this was for your dad.”

“I never really single out players,” Gophers coach P.J. Fleck said following the interception. “But something magical on that field happened, something spiritual, something of a higher power, whatever you believe in — that was [for] Jon Celestin.”

Celestin’s father, Frederick, was struck and killed by a vehicle on his way to work in Albany, GA last April. In an instant, Jonathan’s life was turned upside down. He flew back to Georgia to be with his family, but quickly returned to football – the game which reminds him of his father. P.J. Fleck was one of many coaches and teammates by Celestin’s side as he overcame the loss.

“The day it happened, Coach Fleck brought me into his office and he was with me every step of the way. As most people know, Row the Boat was dedicated to his son he lost in his hands,” Celestin said. “We were able to share a moment. We both lost somebody dear to ourselves.”

Without Celestin’s father, Jonathan might have never strapped on shoulder pads. He encouraged Jonathan’s mother, Eunice, to let him play football – a decision which has the linebacker days away from being selected by NFL team.

“I always wanted to play, but my mother thought it was too dangerous,” Celestin said. “He’s one of the reasons why I played football. He has always supported me and talked about my game.”

After committing to the game, Jonathan’s mother, Eunice, quickly became his biggest football supporter. She attended all of his games, traveling across the country to see him lace up his cleats for Minnesota.

“She’s my biggest supporter, she’s been to every game,” Celestin said. “She’s been with me every step of the way. Any game, she was there. I talk to her on a daily basis. I’m thankful for her and my little sister.”

Celestin started all 12 games in 2017, finishing second on the team with 78 tackles (55 solo) including 5.5 for a loss. He was idolized by his teammates for his work ethic and attention to detail in the film room. It’s something Celestin said he will bring with him to the NFL.

“I’m one of the first ones in making sure that I’m there before everyone else is and that I’m the last one to leave the film room, because at the end of the day, it’s more mental than it is physical,” Celestin said.

Celestin, the Gophers’ team captain, has generated interest from numerous NFL teams, including the Rams, Titans and Dolphins. At his Pro Day last month, Celestin ran a 4.70 40-yard dash and benched 27 reps with 22 NFL teams in attendance. He was recently training in Fresno, Calif. at Athletes Performance, working with strength coaches and former Ohio State linebacker Larry Grant. Celestin is currently projected as a late round pick or undrafted free agent in next week’s draft.

The end goal for Celestin is to play in the NFL, something he knows his dad would believe is possible.

“[My dad] would tell me to stay confident, stay humble, and work like I’ve been working,” Celestin said. “He knows that once I get my foot into any team’s door, the rest will take care of itself. I just need my foot in somebody’s door.”

Jonathan Celestin hasn’t forgotten the journey which has him days away from joining an NFL team. For Celestin, it all began in a park with a supportive family by his side every step of the way. No matter what happens next, the experience is something the young football player will never forget.

“I never want to change the person I am,” Celestin said. “[Like my dad would say], if you want to achieve something, don’t let anything stop you. Don’t let any obstacle or people stop you from doing what you want to do. If your heart is in it, go ahead and get it.”

This is a fantastic read Daniel. Thanks for taking the time to put this together, and thanks to Jonathan for sharing his and his Dad's story.

Go Gophers!!

Daniel,

Thank you for sharing. This is a heartwarming enduring story of a kid who worked hard on and off the field to achieve his college education and along the way he became a man.

I hope that he plays at the next level because if he does get in, it was because of all the hard work and dedication. Kudos to Jerry Kill for recruiting him.

Thank you for writing this!! Sad that these stories don't get nearly as many clicks as what some 16 year old is thinking two years before he is in college, but thank you and GopherHole for sharing this story with us, this is what makes sports great.

This world needs more dads like Frederick Celestin. He definitely was an admirable man. Jonathan certainly is a testament to the type of person he was.

Thanks so much for reading! It was my pleasure to share this remarkable story. These are the stories that need to be shared.

This is a fantastic read Daniel. Thanks for taking the time to put this together, and thanks to Jonathan for sharing his and his Dad's story.

Go Gophers!!

Thank you for reading! It's my honor to share this story. It's one of the best stories I've had the privilege to write.

Daniel,

Thank you for sharing. This is a heartwarming enduring story of a kid who worked hard on and off the field to achieve his college education and along the way he became a man.

I hope that he plays at the next level because if he does get in, it was because of all the hard work and dedication. Kudos to Jerry Kill for recruiting him.

Thank you! I agree, these are the stories that make sports so special. I'm glad I can share them with you and hope to do more of this in the future.

Thank you for writing this!! Sad that these stories don't get nearly as many clicks as what some 16 year old is thinking two years before he is in college, but thank you and GopherHole for sharing this story with us, this is what makes sports great.

Top Bottom