Gophers add a Home-Home with North Carolina in 2023 and 2024

Taji34

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sounds like all the bitching on GH about Tennessee Tech got Coyle's attention. LOL Much better scheduling!

Like to hitch up the wagon and spend a couple of weeks in the Carolina's. Maybe take in another ACC game.

Did Coyle get Chris Klieman's approval ? (j/k... kinda)

Good road trip opportunity!

So, the U of MN basically paid out $800,000 to move the North Carolina series back by 10 years - from 2013 & 2014 to 2023 & 2024. that's $80,000 a year in my math.

FWIW - the buyout of the first North Carolina series happened in large part because of changes at Head Coach and AD. (Brewster and Maturi to Kill and Teague).

so, the $800,000 question - will the Gophers have the same Head Coach and AD in 2023 as they do today?

So, the U of MN basically paid out $800,000 to move the North Carolina series back by 10 years - from 2013 & 2014 to 2023 & 2024. that's $80,000 a year in my math.

FWIW - the buyout of the first North Carolina series happened in large part because of changes at Head Coach and AD. (Brewster and Maturi to Kill and Teague).

so, the $800,000 question - will the Gophers have the same Head Coach and AD in 2023 as they do today?

The financial impact of the UNC buyout remains one of the most mis-reported stories of all time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like all the bitching on GH about Tennessee Tech got Coyle's attention. LOL Much better scheduling!

Too Late. HWY already doesn't want you back in TCF.

They're still going to schedule against weaker competition like everyone else. It looks like the strategy is to play one better team in the non-conference and two weaker ones.

Too Late. HWY already doesn't want you back in TCF.

I may or may not be at either of the games, HWY will have no impact on my Gopher fandom. Thanks for your sarcasm.

Sweet, now add a team like this every year and rotate it around the country so we get some fun away games.

They're still going to schedule against weaker competition like everyone else. It looks like the strategy is to play one better team in the non-conference and two weaker ones.

I have no problem with that scenario. I do have a problem when the home conference schedule consists of Purdue, NW, Indiana and Iowa.

Sweet, now add a team like this every year and rotate it around the country so we get some fun away games.

Oregon ST, TCU, Fresno St, NC and Colorado, that's a pretty good road rotation over an eight year span.

I was wondering how long it would take to bring this up and ask if the "new" coach would do the same.

While the buyout has been brought up, I'm surprised at the lack of snark in this thread. I'll rev it up:

So this gives us 5 years to negotiate a better buyout, right?

Too tough. Which softer team will we replace UNC with this time? Alabama?

Finally, a real OOC game. Fleck better be ready for a game like this by year 7...or will it be 6?

I have no problem with that scenario. I do have a problem when the home conference schedule consists of Purdue, NW, Indiana and Iowa.

You know that the University has zero control over the conference schedule, right?

It's not going to be every year. They'll play road non-conference games in the years they have 5 home conference games. They're going to want to always have 7 home games. But they have set up some nice away games every other year.

2019 - @Fresno St
2021 - @Colorado
2023 - @UNC
2025 - @BYU
2027 - @Mississippi St

There exists an opportunity for a first class tailgate in Chapel Hill.

Passive aggressive shot at previous administration? (/duck /flee)

Wait a minute. What happened to no games in North Carolina until bathroom equity was addressed? What did I miss?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Not sure what some fans want. 2014 and 15 they had TCU. 2016 and 17 Oregon State, 2020 and 2025 BYU, 2021 and 22 Colorado. Now N.C. Seems like they are playing a team from a decent conference almost every year.

Not sure what some fans want. 2014 and 15 they had TCU. 2016 and 17 Oregon State, 2020 and 2025 BYU, 2021 and 22 Colorado. Now N.C. Seems like they are playing a team from a decent conference almost every year.

The "fans" want whatever they didn't do.

Football scheduling is incredibly difficult. This is lost on the EA NCAA Football 2012 crowd.

It's not going to be every year. They'll play road non-conference games in the years they have 5 home conference games. They're going to want to always have 7 home games. But they have set up some nice away games every other year.

2019 - @Fresno St
2021 - @Colorado
2023 - @UNC
2025 - @BYU
2027 - @Mississippi St

That is true, I didn't think about that. That is a good list!

The "fans" want whatever they didn't do.

Football scheduling is incredibly difficult. This is lost on the EA NCAA Football 2012 crowd.
It is pretty tough to avoid playing anyone likely to be in the top 25.

2019 - @Fresno St
2021 - @Colorado
2023 - @UNC
2025 - @BYU
2027 - @Mississippi St

That is true, I didn't think about that. That is a good list!

Agreed. That is a nice list. Hope I can make all of them.

Top Bottom