Commission on College Basketball recommendations

So many great things in this

Get rid of one and dones
Baseball rule would be awesome for the game
Lose 3,4 year scholarships love it.
Getting rid of AAU where all the problems are by not allowing coaches to attend these. Only sanctioned events sponsored by NBA or USA basketball.
Independent investigators of its members not NCAA who is scared of the big boy cheaters

So many great things in this

Get rid of one and dones
Baseball rule would be awesome for the game
Lose 3,4 year scholarships love it.
Getting rid of AAU where all the problems are by not allowing coaches to attend these. Only sanctioned events sponsored by NBA or USA basketball.
Independent investigators of its members not NCAA who is scared of the big boy cheaters

Borderline random responses:

Mostly good recommendations. Coaches told NCAA to keep the shoe company camps out of it over 20 years ago and they said no. My guess is window dressing that still has shoe money all over the place will come now. Hard to believe NCAA and schools will give up that cash.

My understanding is that the enforcement people at the NCAA are fine, with limited ability to call witnesses, etc., but the committees are the ones with no spine to actually dole out penalties (e.g North Carolina). If independent investigators don't have subpoena power, I'm not sure how much better a job they will do if the penalties are still given by peers.

While I am in principal in favor of sanctioned events for coaches, I wonder if that invites more influence of runners, etc. who can go to the shoe companies events being the contacts between coaches and star players.

What often gets lost in this conversation is that we are talking, in general, about 30 or fewer players a year potentially caught up in all of this. If those thirty are in the pros, I wonder if it seeps down to the next 30. Probably not since the chance of one of them making it big will be a lot less. Who knows?

The one and done rule is an NBA issue, and they ought to do the right thing and create something like baseball. Pretty easy fix, but probably pretty expensive for the NBA.

Top Bottom