Commission on College Basketball recommendations

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

A direct arrow at North Carolina.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I like this one, as long as they haven't hired an agent. Tough on coaches in terms of scholarship allocation, but I don't really care if coaches are inconvenienced. Tough ti**ies, figure it out.

The whole UNC debacle speaks far worse of the accrediting agencies than the NCAA. Despite what those whose lives revolve around sports may think, a school having its accreditation stripped is far worse than anything the NCAA could ever do.

The whole UNC debacle speaks far worse of the accrediting agencies than the NCAA. Despite what those whose lives revolve around sports may think, a school having its accreditation stripped is far worse than anything the NCAA could ever do.

Agree.

my question for allowing a kid to go back to college if he goes undrafted....how is that really going to work?
So lets say Billy declares for the draft in March. And its clearly a long shot for Billy and he knows it on whether he will get drafted.
So the team now uses his scholarship to sign a freshman named Bob in April
the NBA draft isn't until end of june. Billy doesn't get drafted. What happens to Bob now that Billy can go back to college and take his scholarship back?

maybe I am missing something

A direct arrow at North Carolina.

Wow! I'll admit that I really didn't follow the UNC investigation closely but, if that was offered as a defense, saying nothing at all would have been better. "Yes, we offer course that are complete jokes, but every student, not just an athlete, has the opportunity to receive high grades in these courses with little or no effort."

my question for allowing a kid to go back to college if he goes undrafted....how is that really going to work?
So lets say Billy declares for the draft in March. And its clearly a long shot for Billy and he knows it on whether he will get drafted.
the NBA draft isn't until end of june. Billy doesn't get drafted. What happens to Bob now that Billy can go back to college and take his scholarship back?

Agreed. This would wreak havoc on recruiting and roster management. A potential consequence might be the stars waiting until after the draft to pick their school for the fall. I don't like this.

Can't wait to see how UNC responds.

You make a good point, but I believe the deadline is around June 11th now so this policy would move it back by only about two and a half weeks. Perhaps the change may not lead to substantially more players declaring but then coming back to school. A lot of these players will just choose to play somewhere else besides the NBA.

The problem with the report is this:

"In the current uncertain legal setting, however, the Commission has decided to focus its recommendations on supporting the college model".

That's a pretty big blanket under which to sweep. Especially when calling for expansion of the NCAA into partnerships, providing certifications and permanently denying employment. It's nothing more than expanding a house of cards and hoping for the best. Currently there is only the flimsiest legal authority for NCAA activities.

The problem with the report is this:

"In the current uncertain legal setting, however, the Commission has decided to focus its recommendations on supporting the college model".

That's a pretty big blanket under which to sweep. Especially when calling for expansion of the NCAA into partnerships, providing certifications and permanently denying employment. It's nothing more than expanding a house of cards and hoping for the best. Currently there is only the flimsiest legal authority for NCAA activities.

How does the NCAA deny employment, permanently or otherwise?

Billy remains eligible to get a scholarship, but Billy's not guaranteed to get one. In this scenario, the school awarded that scholarship slot to Bob. In other words, Billy took a big risk signing up for the draft and in your scenario he lost -- didn't get drafted and lost his scholarship.

Billy remains eligible to get a scholarship, but Billy's not guaranteed to get one. In this scenario, the school awarded that scholarship slot to Bob. In other words, Billy took a big risk signing up for the draft and in your scenario he lost -- didn't get drafted and lost his scholarship.

that's going to get very messy. Billy was a borderline NBA player. I think Bob is going to get screwed over more than Billy on most occasions

How would the NCAA end "one and done"? They can't prohibit players from going pro, can they?

no way.

It should be, Billy has a scholarship until he gets drafted, if not, he's still there. The school can figure out the rest.

Agrees, but the fact that the accrediting agencies are worse, doesn't change how horribly the NCAA handled it.

How would the NCAA end "one and done"? They can't prohibit players from going pro, can they?

They cannot prohibit anything. They can make a deal with the NBA though. Or they could make all freshmen ineligible to play as freshmen (which they'll never do), but it would get the same result.

Let the Scholarship limit be 16. When a player enrolls, they have 5 years to compete in a max. of 4 seasons. If the player decides to leave for ANY reason, that scholarship remains on the books to that team for 5 years or until that player has used up his playing eligibility. A player can transfer and be eligible right away, if they are in good academic standing and are on pace to graduate. The school who accepts a transfer has to have an open slot, which they would give up to the school that the player came from. Once a player has used up his 4 years of eligibility and or graduates, that scholarship slot could be used again.
Or do something like this.

Another way to end the "one-and-dones" - work out a new agreement with the NBA with a higher age for draft eligibility. Maybe go to the football rule where players cannot be drafted until they have completed 3 years in college.

make the one-and-dones really commit to being a college player - and student. If they don't want to go to school, there's always the G League.

The part of this I want to see play out involves the NCAA becoming more involved and exerting more control over the summer programs and AAU culture.

Personally, I would have no problem with ditching the entire AAU scene. Have the NCAA run a program with summer leagues and showcase events, but working with High School coaches to set up the structure and provide protection for the players - not the shadow world of AAU with shoe companies, 'talent scouts' and hangers-on who look at every kid as a potential meal ticket.

Another way to end the "one-and-dones" - work out a new agreement with the NBA with a higher age for draft eligibility. Maybe go to the football rule where players cannot be drafted until they have completed 3 years in college.

make the one-and-dones really commit to being a college player - and student. If they don't want to go to school, there's always the G League.

The part of this I want to see play out involves the NCAA becoming more involved and exerting more control over the summer programs and AAU culture.

Personally, I would have no problem with ditching the entire AAU scene. Have the NCAA run a program with summer leagues and showcase events, but working with High School coaches to set up the structure and provide protection for the players - not the shadow world of AAU with shoe companies, 'talent scouts' and hangers-on who look at every kid as a potential meal ticket.

The NBA has no incentive to go for what you've suggested. 1 year has proven to weed out lots of kids who may have washed out if they'd gone straight to the NBA, but increasing the time between HS and the NBA is just going to cut out on 1 or 2 prime years of talent in the NBA. There's no "agreement" with the NBA today. The NBA implemented a rule and the NCAA has lived with it.

How does the NCAA deny employment, permanently or otherwise?

Yes that's a good question. However, the Rice Commission recommends the possible use of a life time ban as a penalty for major infractions by coaches.

The report had more than a little humor including that the NCAA should request that the board of directors of the apparel companies ensure their companies compliance with NCAA rules. Also, the possibility of bring back freshman ineligibility was a howler.

The NBA has no incentive to go for what you've suggested. 1 year has proven to weed out lots of kids who may have washed out if they'd gone straight to the NBA, but increasing the time between HS and the NBA is just going to cut out on 1 or 2 prime years of talent in the NBA. There's no "agreement" with the NBA today. The NBA implemented a rule and the NCAA has lived with it.
I don’t really have an issue with 1&done. If a player is good enough, he should be allowed to move on.

My issue with 1 and done is the schools who blatantly abuse it by having multiple players each season (Duke & Kentucky).. How can a college team be allowed to bring in a whole new lineup each year? There is no intent of there being any STUDENT part of the situation.

I like the idea around when a scholarship is granted to a player, that scholarship is “filled” for a time period, perhaps a 3yr minimum. Only exception would be if said player transfers while in good academic standing. This would eliminate taking multiple 1& dones in any given year, especially multiple years in a row

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If they said that scholarship was on the book for two years, would that apply to only players who get drafted, or all players? It would seem weird to punish a team for preparing a player well enough to go professional in his chosen field, but not for having a player drop out/get kicked out due to academic or disciplinary issues.

If they said that scholarship was on the book for two years, would that apply to only players who get drafted, or all players? It would seem weird to punish a team for preparing a player well enough to go professional in his chosen field, but not for having a player drop out/get kicked out due to academic or disciplinary issues.
If they want to claim to be true to the "student-athlete" name the NCAA tosses around, a scholarship in the books should apply to any departure due to school rules (grades, discipline, etc). Coaches should be held accountable for lack of discipline

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If they want to claim to be true to the "student-athlete" name the NCAA tosses around, a scholarship in the books should apply to any departure due to school rules (grades, discipline, etc). Coaches should be held accountable for lack of discipline

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Agreed. A coach/team should not be in a worse position for getting a player drafted than they would be if that same player failed out.

Having read the report a little more closely - the NCAA proposal calls for ending one-and-dones by letting kids go right into the NBA draft out of HS. It also would allow players to hire an agent without losing eligibility, and would give undrafted players the right to return to college and retain eligibility. so a top HS player could (theoretically) hire an agent and declare for the draft. then, if they weren't drafted, they could still play college ball.

So, in theory, the changes would cut down on one-and-dones by allowing the top HS players to jump right to the pros. The major impact would be on programs like Duke and Kentucky that have multiple one-and-dones - they would lose out on some of those top players who would go straight to the pros. Of course, Duke and KY would still be able to sign some of the top recruits in the country - just not the ones that are parking at college for a year while they wait to go pro.

Having read the report a little more closely - the NCAA proposal calls for ending one-and-dones by letting kids go right into the NBA draft out of HS. It also would allow players to hire an agent without losing eligibility, and would give undrafted players the right to return to college and retain eligibility. so a top HS player could (theoretically) hire an agent and declare for the draft. then, if they weren't drafted, they could still play college ball.

So, in theory, the changes would cut down on one-and-dones by allowing the top HS players to jump right to the pros. The major impact would be on programs like Duke and Kentucky that have multiple one-and-dones - they would lose out on some of those top players who would go straight to the pros. Of course, Duke and KY would still be able to sign some of the top recruits in the country - just not the ones that are parking at college for a year while they wait to go pro.

This is where I always get confused. The NCAA has no say in when players are eligible for the draft. Is the NCAA proposal basically that they hope an outside organization changes it's rules?

This is where I always get confused. The NCAA has no say in when players are eligible for the draft. Is the NCAA proposal basically that they hope an outside organization changes it's rules?

I think the assumption is that the NBA will - or would - change its rules to allow HS players to enter the draft without waiting a year.

Found some stuff on the NBA's changing attitudes on the subject:

In the aftermath of the FBI’s sweeping investigation that has identified star NCAA basketball players — both past and present — who have taken under-the-table money in exchange for committing to programs, the NBA is looking to strengthen its relationship with the top high school basketball players in the country.

That process would begin with repealing the 19-year-old age limit that ex-NBA commissioner David Stern instituted in 2005. But according to ESPN’s Brian Windhorst, current commissioner Adam Silver has held meetings with the National Basketball Player’s Association and is focused on positioning the league into the two periods which they are absent from young prospects careers:

During their high school career
During the time between high school graduation and the moment they feel they are ready to play in the NBA, both physically and emotionally

Doing away with the age limit:
(NBA Commissioner) Silver has met with the NBPA about adjusting the “one-and-done” age-limit rule that would allow players to enter the NBA Draft from high school, rather than attend college for one season before going pro. But he is also expected to present a plan to the NBPA that would pitch the idea of starting relationships with the top teenage basketball players while they are still in high school. The goal is to present a path to the NBA that doesn’t include college or going overseas, but provides an opportunity to earn a salary from an NBA team while developing as a basketball talent in the G League.

Top Bottom