2020 Recruiting

Was Whalen considered a “true PG” as a Gopher?

Definitely, Id say they played 2 true pgs most of the time. Also I dont know why that matters here because i dont believe any of the guards are like Whalen on this roster.

One correction. The Gophers have also offered 2020 forward Annika Stewart of Wayzata, who is 6'3 and can shoot the three. She's ranked #21 in Minnesota so somewhat surprising she would be offered.

I hope we get Utsby & Stewart. Go Gophers! Championships in the making!

Not sure if this should go under Class of 2020 recruiting or if there is a genera "recruiting" thread, but Whalen posted on twitter that the four coaches will be going to four spots the next 3 days

Milwaukee, WI
Dallas, TX
Manheim, PA
Hampton, VA

I'm not sure which coach is going where but would assume one at each and that each is an AAU tournament. my question is do we know who is being watched/looked at these places? are MN AAU teams there? is any of the out of state 2020 offers playing at these locations?

Not sure if this should go under Class of 2020 recruiting or if there is a genera "recruiting" thread, but Whalen posted on twitter that the four coaches will be going to four spots the next 3 days

Milwaukee, WI
Dallas, TX
Manheim, PA
Hampton, VA

I'm not sure which coach is going where but would assume one at each and that each is an AAU tournament. my question is do we know who is being watched/looked at these places? are MN AAU teams there? is any of the out of state 2020 offers playing at these locations?

My guess is Carly is off to Hampton or Manheim. Manheim is a 2.25 hour drive, while Hampton is a close to 3 hour drive to DC for a visit to the family.

Milwaukee, WI
Dallas, TX
Manheim, PA
Hampton, VA

Hampton is Boo Williams tourney - many Elite Nike AAU teams, sophomores and juniors
Milwaukee is USJN tournament- slightly lower level / younger teams
Pennsylvania and Texas are relatively smaller tourneys but still have some quality teams

Whalen is at Under Armour in PA.
Thibault and Roysland are at Boo.
Obanion is at addidas in Dallas.

I'm sure they'll move around this weekend but thats where they are today.

Does anyone know if Gabrielle Elliot/Detroit, MI is being followed by Whalen et al?

Thibault, O'Banion and Destiny Pitts all follow her on twitter. I am not sure however if she has an offer.

She does and is being recruited hard by the Gophers, Destiny Pitts brother is a coach in the same AAU program so theres a solid connection.

Gophers seem to have a nice pipeline going in Michigan. Started by stollings with the Bellos and Pitts and seems that Whalen and current staff are looking to continue it with getting Powell and going after Elliott. Its nice to be able to get kids out of Michigan and Michigan St's territory.

She does and is being recruited hard by the Gophers, Destiny Pitts brother is a coach in the same AAU program so theres a solid connection.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/ar...bucket-full-ice-two-sport-recruit-lauren-ware

More Lauren Ware from ESPNW:
Ware said she wants to play basketball and volleyball in college, and coaches at the schools recruiting her say they're on board. Two weeks ago, she took her first official visit, to Nebraska, and she had breakfast with the Nebraska basketball and volleyball coaches.

After breakfast, she toured the volleyball facilities with coach John Cook, who has led Nebraska to four volleyball national titles. Then she visited the basketball facilities with South Dakota native and Cornhuskers basketball coach Amy Williams.

Ware, who has yet to decide on the other colleges that will get her four remaining official visits, said she's grateful for the opportunity to play both sports.

"Colleges are giving me the option," said Ware, who is interested in majoring in business, management or communications. "At first I thought I would've decided by now which sport I wanted to play in college. But I can't decide.

"On my visit [to Nebraska], they mapped it out, and [playing both] seems doable. It's kind of rare to play both. I like that -- it makes it special."

She's extremely athletic for her height, running the floor impressively. She is learning to face the basket more, extending her range to the 3-point line.

Defensively, Ware communicates well and can guard perimeter or post players. She's an excellent rim protector, and she usually does it without getting into foul trouble.

Ware put on a show in the summer of 2018, leading the Dakota Drillers in a tournament in Minnesota, following that with a second-place finish at the Nike Nationals in Chicago. From there, she traveled back to Minnesota to participate in a volleyball camp.

"I was pretty beaten up after that," Ware said. "I sprained my ankles, but I taped them up and kept playing."

The pounding her body takes while playing two sports is why she keeps the ice packs at the ready. Safe to say they're doing their job.

"She can get any shot she wants every time down the floor in high school," Harris said. "Her biggest thing will be in college, adjusting to girls her size on a consistent basis."

The Gophers can sure use her in both sports. One thing for her to keep in mind - if she wants to be closer to home Lincoln NE is about 9 hours 20 minutes from Bismarck ND. The U is just six hours away.

Her family can watch her play.

She will be playing for a national powerhouse volleyball team under McCutcheon, and an up and coming basketball program with Lindsay Whalen as her coach.

Last edited:

Does anyone know if Hugh is interested in Ware? If not, that probably ends the conversation about her playing for the Gopher hoops team.

Does anyone know if Hugh is interested in Ware? If not, that probably ends the conversation about her playing for the Gopher hoops team.

The question is, is a scholie available, and is Lauren Ware even in the Gophers recruiting radar? I hate to see Lauren Ware sign with another Big Ten team like Nebraska for both basketball and volleyball. I hope they can make room for her.

There are already three Gopher Volleyball commitments for 2020 as far as I know.
Cami Appiani(Fall 2020) - https://volleymob.com/minnesota-adds-another-commitment-for-class-of-2020-in-cami-appiani/

Melanie Shaftmaster Gatorade Player of the Year (Fall 2020) - https://playeroftheyear.gatorade.com/winner/melani-shaffmaster/36227,

https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/melani-shaffmaster/2uZnq2SAEea-8KA2nzwbTA/default.htm

Taylor Landfair Gatorade Player of the Year (Fall 2020) - https://playeroftheyear.gatorade.com/winner/taylor-landfair/36933,

https://playeroftheyear.gatorade.com/poy/assets/writable/52447/2019_VB_TLandfair.pdf

I would think McCutcheon would be interested in a talented 6-5 player but Gophers have a possible #1 recruiting class already for 2020 (volleyball) and are fairly stacked at her position, so I'm not sure there's a lot of room for her. (On the other hand, MN has an actual precedent on its coaching staff -- Kelly Roysland, who played four years of basketball and then a grad student year on the volleyball team.) That ESPN story made it sound like all of the schools in her final 10, which would include the Gophers, are up for the two-sport thing.
(In addition to Landfair, Shaffmaster and Appiani, there's Jenna Wenaas, a 6-1 outside)

Last edited:

I would think McCutcheon would be interested in a talented 6-5 player but Gophers have a possible #1 recruiting class already for 2020 (volleyball) and are fairly stacked at her position, so I'm not sure there's a lot of room for her. (On the other hand, MN has an actual precedent on its coaching staff -- Kelly Roysland, who played four years of basketball and then a grad student year on the volleyball team.) That ESPN story made it sound like all of the schools in her final 10, which would include the Gophers, are up for the two-sport thing.
(In addition to Landfair, Shaffmaster and Appiani, there's Jenna Wenaas, a 6-1 outside)

Since both are headcount sports, which sport has to claim the scholarship? I know in men’s sports, football always has to count multi-sport athletes that play football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since both are headcount sports, which sport has to claim the scholarship? I know in men’s sports, football always has to count multi-sport athletes that play football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One would thing it will count against basketball. Maybe she can red shirt for both sports if that is allowable. There is more than enough Middle Blockers (if that is the position she'll play) someone has to red shirt.

If she can commit to the Gophers, that will be pretty awesome for both programs.

Pretty sure volleyball gets 12 schollies and basketball gets 15, so it would be a basketball scholarship. It always goes to what sport has the most scholarships.

Well, if it's a basketball scholarship, then Hugh has nothing to lose.

The bigger issue might be that top athletes now seem to want assurance that they'll be starting all four years. If she expects to do that in volleyball, in particular, she might not like the Gophers. But I hope she does!

The bigger issue might be that top athletes now seem to want assurance that they'll be starting all four years. If she expects to do that in volleyball, in particular, she might not like the Gophers. But I hope she does!

She might have the same problem at Nebraska, but I don't know their depth at Middle Blocker.

Ware is plenty good enough to start for Minnesota’s volleyball team and yes, Hugh and staff are pursuing her hard. She arguably has more potential in volleyball and would be catching the team in a spot where they need a quality middle blocker.

ESNP Hoopgurlz updated their 2019, 2020, and 2021 rankings

Updated Rankings for known 2020 offers for gophers are

-Leilani Kapinus, 5-10 G, Madison Memorial HS (WI) ESPN Ranked #10
-Deja Kelly, 5’8 PG, Duncanville HS (TX) ESPN Ranked #20
-Lauren Ware, 6’3 PF, Century HS (ND) ESPN ranked #29
-Gabby Elliott, 5’10 W, Detroit Edison HS (MI) ESPN Ranked #48
-Alexia Smith, 5’8 PG, Columbus HS (OH) ESPN Ranked #51
-Sakima Walker, 6’4 P, Columbus HS (OH) ESPN Ranked #54

other known offers for 2020

-Halle Douglass, 6’1 W, Lake Forest HS (IL)
-Shelby Calhoun, 5’11 G, Christian Academy of Louisville (KY)
-Destiny Salary, 5-10 G, Jonesboro HS (AR)
-Treasure Thompson, 6-3 C, Bolingbrook HS (IL)
-Alyssa Ustby-Rochester Lourdes (MN)-6’2 Guard/Forward

No Minnesota kid or known offer made the updated top 25 of class of 2021 and Powell was the only signed gopher recruit in the updated top 100 for class of 2019. she was #76.

Ware is plenty good enough to start for Minnesota’s volleyball team and yes, Hugh and staff are pursuing her hard. She arguably has more potential in volleyball and would be catching the team in a spot where they need a quality middle blocker.

The bonus for Hugh is that she technically be a walk-on, so he would still have 12 scholarship players in addition to Ware.

ESNP Hoopgurlz updated their 2019, 2020, and 2021 rankings

Updated Rankings for known 2020 offers for gophers are

-Leilani Kapinus, 5-10 G, Madison Memorial HS (WI) ESPN Ranked #10
-Deja Kelly, 5’8 PG, Duncanville HS (TX) ESPN Ranked #20
-Lauren Ware, 6’3 PF, Century HS (ND) ESPN ranked #29
-Gabby Elliott, 5’10 W, Detroit Edison HS (MI) ESPN Ranked #48
-Alexia Smith, 5’8 PG, Columbus HS (OH) ESPN Ranked #51
-Sakima Walker, 6’4 P, Columbus HS (OH) ESPN Ranked #54

other known offers for 2020

-Halle Douglass, 6’1 W, Lake Forest HS (IL)
-Shelby Calhoun, 5’11 G, Christian Academy of Louisville (KY)
-Destiny Salary, 5-10 G, Jonesboro HS (AR)
-Treasure Thompson, 6-3 C, Bolingbrook HS (IL)
-Alyssa Ustby-Rochester Lourdes (MN)-6’2 Guard/Forward

No Minnesota kid or known offer made the updated top 25 of class of 2021 and Powell was the only signed gopher recruit in the updated top 100 for class of 2019. she was #76.

2021 #16 Greta Kampschroeder has visited Minnesota. I'm told that Adalia McKenzie will be added to the 2021 list when it is expanded. Maya Nnaji is on the 2022 Watch List.

thank you for the info. Do you know when the rankings expand? say top 100 for 2020, top 60 for 2021?

2021 #16 Greta Kampschroeder has visited Minnesota. I'm told that Adalia McKenzie will be added to the 2021 list when it is expanded. Maya Nnaji is on the 2022 Watch List.

I think before the July viewing period but not 100% sure.

Top Bottom