2020 Recruiting

I'm surprised by all the accolades from people on this board regarding Perez. I acknowledge her contributions, but seems like some people are trying to remember her as a great player. She wasn't, regardless of what her shooting percentage was. As an offensive player, Perez was often a reluctant shooter, shooting only when she was very open and not all the time when she was open. Also, she was a player who was one-dimensional on offense, someone who mostly shot threes and did not want to put the ball on the floor and drive to the hoop. (She defended well.) It's not like losing Wagner the year before. Nothing against Perez, but she can be easily replaced.

I'm surprised by all the accolades from people on this board regarding Perez. I acknowledge her contributions, but seems like some people are trying to remember her as a great player. She wasn't, regardless of what her shooting percentage was. As an offensive player, Perez was often a reluctant shooter, shooting only when she was very open and not all the time when she was open. Also, she was a player who was one-dimensional on offense, someone who mostly shot threes and did not want to put the ball on the floor and drive to the hoop. (She defended well.) It's not like losing Wagner the year before. Nothing against Perez, but she can be easily replaced.
I wasn’t implying that she was a great player but just citing her as an example of a JUCO transfer who did contribute and whose contributions were important with a depleted roster. JUCOs can be a big deal for small D1s but very rarely at the Power 5 level.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Was she the one that was just standing in the corner of the back court during that key inbound play against Cincinnatti? That was a pivotal turning point in the game. Part of that is coaching. They should have emphasized for her to be aggressive to keep herself open for the inbound play. I am not making any excuses, but this is a learning year for the coaches as well as the team.

She may not be the best player on the team, but she have contributed to the team a lot on her last season and had provided some key moments for the team. She is a role player who I would have loved to have another year of eligibility. She is no Carly Wagner, but a nice teammate who have provided height and good outside shooting. That is the drawback with JUCO players. Don't get me wrong, the Gophers were lucky to have her. I'd prefer 4 to 5 year players for developmental reasons.

Hopefully, Coach Lindsay Whalen can score some key recruiting victories in the 2020 class.

Last edited:

Lauren Ware is on an Official visit at Nebraska this weekend per her Twitter.

Gophers in top ten. Still keeping her volleyball/basketball options open.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Oh please, not Nebraska if she is not going to sign with the Gophers.

Ustby is looking like the last recruit standing between Whalen getting blanked on MN 2020 class. Wouldn’t be a great look for second class to already miss out on all local kids.

Whalen has only been recruiting for 1 year while these players have been getting recruited for years by other teams. Give her some time. Whalen will get the players who want to play here.

Ustby is looking like the last recruit standing between Whalen getting blanked on MN 2020 class. Wouldn’t be a great look for second class to already miss out on all local kids.

Second class to miss out on everyone? They got Scalia last year. Cant call Brake or Kramer misses since they didnt go after them.

I meant this is second class for Whalen and would miss out on all local. They got Scalia which is a great get. I was hoping more local kids would follow. I don’t know much about Ustby recruiting besides she has offers from Stanford and Gophers. Not sure if she has any home visits or school visits planned.

I meant this is second class for Whalen and would miss out on all local. They got Scalia which is a great get. I was hoping more local kids would follow. I don’t know much about Ustby recruiting besides she has offers from Stanford and Gophers. Not sure if she has any home visits or school visits planned.

How much influence do the AAU coaches have on where these local kids want to go?

Gophers did a home visit with Ustby and she has been on campus multiple times. She has two visits scheduled elsewhere and plans to make a decision after that. There are no other 2020 players in Minnesota who are capable of playing much in the Big 10. There are 6 or 7 in the 2021 class, 5 or 6 in the 2022 class and at least three 2023s are also getting offers.

How much influence do the AAU coaches have on where these local kids want to go?

AAU coaches have a huge influence on players (much more than high school coaches) but mostly on the mid-majors and low D1 kids who tend to have an array of options to choose from. The AAU people are very supportive of Whalen and the Gophers and would love to have the right kids play here.

Good insight. it is safe to assume gophers have offered the top 1,2 or 3 kids of 2021, 2022 and 2023 class instate?

Gophers did a home visit with Ustby and she has been on campus multiple times. She has two visits scheduled elsewhere and plans to make a decision after that. There are no other 2020 players in Minnesota who are capable of playing much in the Big 10. There are 6 or 7 in the 2021 class, 5 or 6 in the 2022 class and at least three 2023s are also getting offers.

One correction. The Gophers have also offered 2020 forward Annika Stewart of Wayzata, who is 6'3 and can shoot the three. She's ranked #21 in Minnesota so somewhat surprising she would be offered.

One correction. The Gophers have also offered 2020 forward Annika Stewart of Wayzata, who is 6'3 and can shoot the three. She's ranked #21 in Minnesota so somewhat surprising she would be offered.

How hard are they recruiting her though? Taking her and Hedman doesnt make much sense to me.

IMHO, some of these are developmental players who will hit their potential down the road. That is a good way way to build good depth.

Barring any transfers, the newest JUCO player addition leaves 4 available scholarships for 2020 class. Already committed is Erin Hedman. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Destiny Salary commit from Arkansas.

Class of Hedman, Salary, Ustby (fingers crossed she picks them) and either Ware from ND or Leilani from Wisconsin to round out? Keep one scholarship available for 14 player roster?

Barring any transfers, the newest JUCO player addition leaves 4 available scholarships for 2020 class. Already committed is Erin Hedman. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Destiny Salary commit from Arkansas.

Class of Hedman, Salary, Ustby (fingers crossed she picks them) and either Ware from ND or Leilani from Wisconsin to round out? Keep one scholarship available for 14 player roster?

I think they almost need a true pg, will only have 1 on the roster once Brunson graduates.

Was Whalen considered a “true PG” as a Gopher?

Top Bottom