2020 Recruiting

Being RANKED is over rated. You just have to be able to play. If our coaches like the way she plays and like the fit that they see her providing, that is all that is required.

Lindsay Whalen lands four-star recruit from Wisconsin

Caroline Strande, a 5-11 guard from Racine Lutheran, announced her commitment Friday, October 25, 2019.

Gophers women's basketball coach Lindsay Whalen picked up another commitment for her 2020 class in Racine (Wis.) Lutheran guard Caroline Strande.

Strande announced her decision on Twitter Friday afternoon.

The 5-11 Strande was named Racine County player of the year as a junior last spring after averaging 29.3 points, 10.2 rebounds, 6.5 assists and 4.8 steals for Lutheran, which finished 21-3.

After making an early commitment to Bradley University, Strande reopened her recruitment over the summer. She also received offers from Illinois, Oklahoma State, Penn State, Villanova and West Virginia.

Given four stars and ranked as the 70th overall player in the 2020 class by the prospectsnation.com, Strande joins Columbus (Ohio) point guard Alexia Smith and post player Erin Hedman from New Berlin, Wis. as players who have committed to the Gophers' 2020 class.

Kent Youngblood

http://www.startribune.com/lindsay-whalen-lands-four-star-recruit-from-wisconsin/563874492/

https://journaltimes.com/sports/hig...cle_6d9e4360-314a-579b-8260-a5dca9749768.html

The Journal Times with some more Caroline Strande:

By the time Caroline Strande settled into her parents' car for the return trip to Racine Oct. 14, she had a pretty good idea of what she wanted to do.

The senior guard for the Racine Lutheran High School girls basketball team had just visited the University of Minnesota with her parents, Peter and Julie. There was a great deal that stood out about the Big Ten Conference program, but there was one aspect that pushed the Golden Gophers to the top of her list.

And that was the coaching of Lindsay Whalen, one of the most accomplished players in the history of women's basketball.
Strande, who said she will sign her national letter of intent in November, was impressed by what she saw while attending a team scrimmage during her official visit.

"I went to the Maroon-and-Gold scrimmage that they had and that was really awesome," she said. "I just saw the style of play they play and how I can fit into it.

"I got a tour of the campus, I met with the coaching staff, I spent time with the players and I loved it all. And I'm so excited to go there."
Strande verbally committed to Bradley, a Division I program in Peoria, Ill., last November. But after a strong summer playing AAU basketball, she decided to re-open her recruitment and kept Bradley as one of her options.

Starting in early September, she used her five official visits on, in order, Oklahoma State, Illinois, Villanova, Penn State and Minnesota. Strande also was offered a full scholarship from West Virginia.

The 5-foot-11 Strande said she doesn't plan on red-shirting once she arrives in Minneapolis for the 2020-21 season and hopes to earn ample playing time early. It appears she will have ample opportunity.

"My goal is to play a lot my freshman year," Strande said. "I don't plan on red-shirting at all."

If Strande is really 5’11, then she should fit in well as a 4 in Whalen, Iggy, (and Stolling’s) small ball system.

If Strande is really 5’11, then she should fit in well as a 4 in Whalen, Iggy, (and Stolling’s) small ball system.

Truly noted. But, as a reminder, we don't designate positions in position-less basketball. :)

You’re already complaining and they haven’t played a game? Just an FYI, per some info from practice, Whalen is not set on a starting 5. The four starters set is Brunson, Hubbard, Pitts and Taiye but they have tried all of the following in practice to see what works best

C-K.Bello, PF-T.Bello, SF-Pitts, SG, Hubbard, PG-Brunson
C-T.Bello, PF-Cummings, SF-Pitts, SG-Hubbard, PG-Brunson
C-T.Bello, PF-Pitts, SF-Staples, SG-Hubbard, PG-Brunson (from open scrimmage)
C-T.Bello, PF-Pitts, SF-Hubbard, SG-Brunson, PG-Powell

The 5th starter is not set in stone as of this weekend.

So how many ladies are still left for a possible commitment to the Gophers?

-Sarah Te-Biasu , 5’3 PG, Canada

-Deja Kelly, 5’8 PG, Duncanville HS (TX) ESPN Ranked #17 (Top 5 list: Gophers, North Carolina, Duke, Texas A&M and Notre Dame

-Leilani Kapinus, 5-10 G, Madison Memorial HS (WI) ESPN Ranked #30 (Top 15 List: Arizona, Auburn, Baylor, Duke, Florida, Iowa, Kentucky, LSU, Louisville, Marquette, Michigan, Michigan St, Gophers, Ohio St, and Wisconsin)

All guards and Gophers (without transfers) have 1 available scholarship

So how many ladies are still left for a possible commitment to the Gophers?

https://www.espn.com/womens-college...ct-2019-women-college-basketball-signing-week

Per this sounds like Deja Kelly has gophers off her list.

would leave two players with known gopher offers.

-Leilani Kapinus, 5-10 G, Madison Memorial HS (WI) ESPN Ranked #30 (Top 15 List: Arizona, Auburn, Baylor, Duke, Florida, Iowa, Kentucky, LSU, Louisville, Marquette, Michigan, Michigan St, Gophers, Ohio St, and Wisconsin)

Gotta wonder if gophers are turning attention to Class of 2021 at this point.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college...ct-2019-women-college-basketball-signing-week

Per this sounds like Deja Kelly has gophers off her list.

would leave two players with known gopher offers.

Gotta wonder if gophers are turning attention to Class of 2021 at this point.

Kapinus took an official visit to MN this weekend so it'll be interesting what happens there.

Better be starting to solidify some 2021 recruits. Maybe go hard after the best junior college post players to land one for next year instead of another guard.

Per Raoul Tweet

Leilani is down to her final five schools. Arizona, LSU, Minnesota, Penn State and Wisconsin. (Stated has narrowed down to two but didn't list) She has done official visits to Gophers and Arizona. Announcing "Soon"

removed from her top 15 is, Auburn, Baylor, Duke, Florida, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisville, Marquette, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State. Penn State not originally in her top 15 but guessing the coach who moved from Marquette to Penn State changed that.

Kapinus took an official visit to MN this weekend so it'll be interesting what happens there.

So how many times have we been ranked in the top 20 for recruiting in the past decade? Isn't this a good sign?

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/135/class/2020

I'd expect the Gophers under Whalen to improve each recruiting year. She and her coaching staff are also reaching out and establishing connections with MN HS coaches and players which will resonate well and will improve instate recruiting.

It was too late for the Gophers with Paige Bueckers and other recruits who have established recruiting connections elsewhere. I don't think Borton or Stollings make too much of an inroad into the State which is unfortunate.

Who on the coaching staff is responsible for developing the posts? And does that matter in recruiting posts? Whalen was a point guard and we seem to do well recruiting guards.

Who on the coaching staff is responsible for developing the posts? And does that matter in recruiting posts? Whalen was a point guard and we seem to do well recruiting guards.

Danielle O'Banion has post development responsibilities.

Top Bottom