2020 Recruiting

Updated:

2 scholarships available with 7 remaining known offers for 2020

Deja Kelly, 5’8 PG, Duncanville HS (TX) ESPN Ranked #17

Aaliyah Edwards, 6’2 W, Canada, ESPN Ranked #26

Leilani Kapinus, 5-10 G, Madison Memorial HS (WI) ESPN Ranked #30

Gabby Elliott, 5’10 W, Detroit Edison HS (MI) ESPN Ranked #42

Destiny Salary, 5-10 G, Jonesboro HS (AR) ESPN Ranked #59

Treasure Thompson, 6-3 C, Bolingbrook HS (IL)

Sarah Te-Biasu , 5’3 PG, Canada

I wonder if gophers are done with guards. Next year will have Powell, Smith, Diva, Staples , 5-star transfer Sissocu and Scalia all at guard. If they got Gabby Elliott, it would be a class with 3 top-75 recruits. Not bad. Plus leaves 1 open scholarship going into late period or 2021.

Yes, the U of M now has enough of a track record over the past 20 years or so to let us know that playing for the home state university isn't all that important. With all the AAU travels, many players are now traveling all over the country to play basketball. With easy cable access to the games of out-of-state universities, it's no longer as important for a kid to play at a university is near family and friends. We wouldn't be complaining about this so much if Minnesota didn't have so many top basketball players, men's and women's. When Coach K or Coach Geno come calling, it's difficult for a kid to turn down a chance to play for an elite college program, even though our Minnesota teams are very competitive. On the positive side, I am convinced that Whalen and staff will get their share of 4- and 5-star athletes from all over the country.

I too was wondering if Koenen's success at NC had anything to do with Utsby's decision to play for NC. I haven't seen Utsby play for a couple of years, so I'll defer to others whether this was a big recruiting loss or not, but I too was wondering if it's possible that she may have been a bit over-hyped, as she is not in the top 100 and many of the other recruits the Gophers are going after are in the top 100. I realize these player rankings are not the end-all for determining how good these players will be in college, but it may be an indicator. If the Gophers are going to become a nationally prominent program, they'll need to routinely add top 100 players every year. I'm excited about Smith's commitment.

Yes, the U of M now has enough of a track record over the past 20 years or so to let us know that playing for the home state university isn't all that important. With all the AAU travels, many players are now traveling all over the country to play basketball. With easy cable access to the games of out-of-state universities, it's no longer as important for a kid to play at a university is near family and friends. We wouldn't be complaining about this so much if Minnesota didn't have so many top basketball players, men's and women's. When Coach K or Coach Geno come calling, it's difficult for a kid to turn down a chance to play for an elite college program, even though our Minnesota teams are very competitive. On the positive side, I am convinced that Whalen and staff will get their share of 4- and 5-star athletes from all over the country.

I too was wondering if Koenen's success at NC had anything to do with Utsby's decision to play for NC. I haven't seen Utsby play for a couple of years, so I'll defer to others whether this was a big recruiting loss or not, but I too was wondering if it's possible that she may have been a bit over-hyped, as she is not in the top 100 and many of the other recruits the Gophers are going after are in the top 100. I realize these player rankings are not the end-all for determining how good these players will be in college, but it may be an indicator. If the Gophers are going to become a nationally prominent program, they'll need to routinely add top 100 players every year. I'm excited about Smith's commitment.

If people want to complain about not getting every high level Minnesota kid every year, that of course is their choice. But I have a hard time complaining when after Utsby commits elsewhere, the program receives a commitment from a higher ranked prospect (and a five-star to boot in Smith) from out of state to go along with a top-75 post player (Hedman) who is already committed. I highly doubt that people will complain much if the ladies are winning big with top prospects from other places just because there aren't enough Minnesota girls on the roster.

Bottom line is that Whalen is doing just fine in recruiting. I'll take two top-75 recruits and possibly more any time in any year regardless of where they come from.

ESPN had Ustby 10th at her position, 140th overall. Both ASGR and Prospects Nation had her in the top 40. She is freaky athletic. It's a loss for the Gophers from a talent point of view but the real loss is in the perception department when it comes to recruiting local kids.

MN Top players play in organized leagues against other top players and see other parts of the country and/or the world. As a result, they have a broader horizon. I cannot fault players for wanting to play elsewhere.

I see Priscilla Williams committed to Syracuse.

Lost points in the “winning tradition” category.

UNC have been recruiting her for two years. She has expressed interest in going to a school with high academics reputation in the past.

Reportedly, North Carolina started recruiting her in July. Anyway, Courtney Banghart was hired as UNC head coach in May.

UNC have been recruiting her for two years. She has expressed interest in going to a school with high academics reputation in the past.

She does realize that UNC is part of the biggest academic scandal in college sports history, right? And no punishment because anyone who wanted to take the fraudulent classes got to. UNC and high academics can no longer go together.

but she picked North Carolina. High is that a school of high academic standards? NCAA investigations come to mind.

The coach that came from Princeton who recruited her is now the coach. From what I understand academic fraught or not, she wants a school with high academics. This does necessarily mean all the athletes are.

The thing is, IMHO she could have gotten the same quality education at the U.

Personally, I’d like it to be Gabby Elliott. Add her to Forward Hedman, Guard Alexia and gabby would be a wing player. All top 75 ranked players. Plus the #11 guard transfer from Syracuse will be available. Add those to Senior Pitts and Senior Hubbard sounds pretty nice.

I would also not mind Deja Kelly joining Alexia Smith in the backcourt. I would take Deja Kelley or Gabby Elliott or both since gophers have 2 available scholarships. Only downfall would be leaving only 3 available scholarships for class of 2021 unless transfers happen.

Who is the next big commitment to the Gopher program?

When’s the last time gophers had 2 top 100 players in a recruiting class? That seems pretty good for a soon to be 2nd year head coach.

Class of 2011. Rachel Banham and Kayla Hirt were both top 100 recruits.

When’s the last time gophers had 2 top 100 players in a recruiting class? That seems pretty good for a soon to be 2nd year head coach.

Top 100 is a pretty low bar. Should be raising that bar to at least 50.

Top 100 is a pretty low bar. Should be raising that bar to at least 50.

Considering the last time 2 or more players in a recruiting class were top 100 was 8 years ago, it’s a good start.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Other visits known for Gopher recruit targets:

Deja Kelly, 5’8 PG, Duncanville HS (TX) ESPN Ranked #17 is at North Carolina this weekend per her Instagram

Leilani Kapinus, 5-10 G, Madison Memorial HS (WI) ESPN Ranked #30 is at Arizona the weekend

Destiny Pitts, Barbara Tomancova and a bunch of the women's basketball players were at the volleyball match last night -- along with Thompson, I believe. It was a fun atmosphere.

Destiny Pitts, Barbara Tomancova and a bunch of the women's basketball players were at the volleyball match last night -- along with Thompson, I believe. It was a fun atmosphere.

I can confirm that is true. Served concessions to Thompson, Justice and Klarke. Grace and Dani O'Banion also there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a link or web site for our 2020 Commits thus far? I can't locate anything on this site or at GI. Thanks in advance!

Deja Kelly announced Top 5 schools. Minnesota, North Caroline, Notre Dame, Duke, and Texas A&M. Sounds like plans to visit the 3 she hasn't visited yet. (Has taken visits to Gophers and North Carolina so far)
-I wonder how much in the mix Notre Dame is. They just got a commit yesterday from a top 50 PG and already had a commit from a 2020 PG and then recruited a PG in the class of 2019.

-Also, Gabby Elliot posted a gif stating "Just Wait" yesterday with the date of October 23rd, 2019 listed. possible commit day?

Top Bottom