2020 Recruiting

It’s probably that warm weather card that always works against the Gophers.

Ware is holding both a basketball and a volleyball in her tweet, so she still seems to be planning to play both sports -- and she was likely never going to see the floor in volleyball. Ironically, the great success of the volleyball program probably hurt the women's basketball program, in this case.

In the big picture view, it will be nice to have the top regional local talent come play for the Gophers. But, it does not matter where they come from as long as they are top echelon.

https://bismarcktribune.com/sports/...cle_0ef5b16c-8260-56be-9dbe-c3377835570a.html

Lauren Ware:

“I would like to thank all the schools that recruited me, I want to thank you for believing in me, but I am going to play both sports in college and I am going to the University of Arizona,” Ware said. “It just felt like the best fit for me. My relationship with the coaches and players helped me make my decision, and the way the coaches work together was a big deal to me playing both sports.

Ware said the conclusion of volleyball season will likely bleed into the non-conference portion of the basketball season if the Wildcats advance in the NCAA tournament. But Ware said that isn’t an issue with basketball coach Adia Barnes.

“At the Division I level, that’s not very common,” Ware said of two-sport athletes. “But that’s a reason I want to do it. I want to take on the challenge. Having the opportunity to do both is an amazing opportunity.”

The 6-foot, 4-inch junior included Minnesota, Tennessee, Texas and UCLA. Ware said all those schools remained active in the recruiting process even after the injury.

“That was one thing I was worried about, but they all stayed true to their promise and I appreciate that.”

Ware joins Derin Erdogan, a point guard from Turkey, in UA women's basketball coach Adia Barnes’ 2020 recruiting class. The Wildcats are also finalists for five-star prospect Anaya Boyd. 

Arizona's 2020 recruiting in volleyball includes two other players, Emery Herman and Shelby O’Neal.

My hunch is that she will end up a single sport IMHO. Having a knee injury like she did will change her plans of being a two-sport athlete for Arizona. That is too much wear and tear to endure each season.

Halle Douglass, 6’1 W, Lake Forest HS (IL) ESPN Ranked #94 committed to Wisconsin this weekend on her official visit. No disrespect meant but I'm a little uneasy losing recruiting battles to the Badgers.

Reminder that the gophers have 3 available scholarships left for class of 2020. Here is the updated/known offers gophers have out for 2020

Deja Kelly, 5’8 PG, Duncanville HS (TX) ESPN Ranked #19
Aaliyah Edwards, 6’2 W, Canada, ESPN Ranked #22
Alexia Smith, 5’8 PG, Columbus HS (OH) ESPN Ranked #50
Destiny Salary, 5-10 G, Jonesboro HS (AR) ESPN Ranked #73
Treasure Thompson, 6-3 C, Bolingbrook HS (IL) ESPN Ranked #96
Sarah Te-Biasu , 5’3 PG, Canada

Finalist List Known:

Leilani Kapinus, 5-10 G, Madison Memorial HS (WI) ESPN Ranked #10 (Top 15 List: Arizona, Auburn, Baylor, Duke, Florida, Iowa, Kentucky, LSU, Louisville, Marquette, Michigan, Michigan St, Gophers, Ohio St, and Wisconsin)
Gabby Elliott, 5’10 W, Detroit Edison HS (MI) ESPN Ranked #47 (Top 6 List: Gophers, Maryland, North Carolina, Pitt, Clemson, and Marquette)
Alyssa Ustby-Rochester Lourdes-6’2 Guard/Forward (Final 2 list: Gophers, North Carolina)

Halle Douglass, 6’1 W, Lake Forest HS (IL) ESPN Ranked #94 committed to Wisconsin this weekend on her official visit. No disrespect meant but I'm a little uneasy losing recruiting battles to the Badgers.

Reminder that the gophers have 3 available scholarships left for class of 2020. Here is the updated/known offers gophers have out for 2020

Deja Kelly, 5’8 PG, Duncanville HS (TX) ESPN Ranked #19
Aaliyah Edwards, 6’2 W, Canada, ESPN Ranked #22
Alexia Smith, 5’8 PG, Columbus HS (OH) ESPN Ranked #50
Destiny Salary, 5-10 G, Jonesboro HS (AR) ESPN Ranked #73
Treasure Thompson, 6-3 C, Bolingbrook HS (IL) ESPN Ranked #96

Finalist List Known:

Leilani Kapinus, 5-10 G, Madison Memorial HS (WI) ESPN Ranked #10 (Top 15 List: Arizona, Auburn, Baylor, Duke, Florida, Iowa, Kentucky, LSU, Louisville, Marquette, Michigan, Michigan St, Gophers, Ohio St, and Wisconsin)
Gabby Elliott, 5’10 W, Detroit Edison HS (MI) ESPN Ranked #47 (Top 6 List: Gophers, Maryland, North Carolina, Pitt, Clemson, and Marquette)
Alyssa Ustby-Rochester Lourdes-6’2 Guard/Forward (Final 2 list: Gophers, North Carolina)

Douglass's parents both went to Wisconsin, her dad played basketball there so they were always gonna be tough to beat and while she's a good player I'm surprised shes a top 100 player. I'd certainly take Ustby and Elliot over her.

Douglass's parents both went to Wisconsin, her dad played basketball there so they were always gonna be tough to beat and while she's a good player I'm surprised shes a top 100 player. I'd certainly take Ustby and Elliot over her.

(and she'll be close enough for those parents to easily drive to every home game and a bunch of away games. Plenty of reasons to go Badger over Gopher.)

Whalen will get the players she wants, just have to give her time. Most coaches have been recruiting players for years, Whalen has only been coach for a year and a half. #TrustTheProcess?? ;)

Whalen will get the players she wants, just have to give her time. Most coaches have been recruiting players for years, Whalen has only been coach for a year and a half. #TrustTheProcess?? ;)

Recruiting at the Big 10 level is a 3-4 year cycle and she's only been in it for a year. She's in good shape on the 2021s, 2022s and 2023s so far.

Are the Gophers WBB shooting blanks for instate 2020 recruiting?

Correct. No other Minnesota kids left to recruit in 2020. Will say kinda blows holes in the excuse of needing time to build relationships. UNC just offered her in July after new coach came in April. Kinda a shame Gopher coaches get burned for spending time on a kid only to have UNC swoop in at the end doing a lot less work and getting rewarded. Wonder what Whalen and company gotta do to get another 2020 commit

Yes, that was the last one they were after. 0-3, but they should still have a nice class if they can close on their targets.

Correct. No other Minnesota kids left to recruit in 2020. Will say kinda blows holes in the excuse of needing time to build relationships. UNC just offered her in July after new coach came in April. Kinda a shame Gopher coaches get burned for spending time on a kid only to have UNC swoop in at the end doing a lot less work and getting rewarded. Wonder what Whalen and company gotta do to get another 2020 commit

Still alot of time left before signing day, still alot of targets on the board. Whalen and Danielle were in Ohio yesterday visiting with Alexia Smith who'll be coming on an official visit soon, 46th ranked player on espn. http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/236618

8 known offers for 3 scholarships to be exact.

Deja Kelly, 5’8 PG, Duncanville HS (TX) ESPN Ranked #17

Aaliyah Edwards, 6’2 W, Canada, ESPN Ranked #26

Leilani Kapinus, 5-10 G, Madison Memorial HS (WI) ESPN Ranked #30

Gabby Elliott, 5’10 W, Detroit Edison HS (MI) ESPN Ranked #42

Alexia Smith, 5’8 PG, Columbus HS (OH) ESPN Ranked #46

Destiny Salary, 5-10 G, Jonesboro HS (AR) ESPN Ranked #59

Treasure Thompson, 6-3 C, Bolingbrook HS (IL)

Still alot of time left before signing day, still alot of targets on the board. Whalen and Danielle were in Ohio yesterday visiting with Alexia Smith who'll be coming on an official visit soon, 46th ranked player on espn. http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/236618

8 known offers for 3 scholarships to be exact.

Deja Kelly, 5’8 PG, Duncanville HS (TX) ESPN Ranked #17

Aaliyah Edwards, 6’2 W, Canada, ESPN Ranked #26

Leilani Kapinus, 5-10 G, Madison Memorial HS (WI) ESPN Ranked #30

Gabby Elliott, 5’10 W, Detroit Edison HS (MI) ESPN Ranked #42

Alexia Smith, 5’8 PG, Columbus HS (OH) ESPN Ranked #46

Destiny Salary, 5-10 G, Jonesboro HS (AR) ESPN Ranked #59

Treasure Thompson, 6-3 C, Bolingbrook HS (IL)

With the transfer market as crazy as it is, leaving a scholly or 2 open for the late period isnt a bad idea either.

https://www.postbulletin.com/sports...cle_6abf92c6-da7a-11e9-ba1a-ff52a964015c.html
Alyssa Ustby had an overwhelming feeling when she first set foot on the University of North Carolina campus.

That was one month ago. Thursday, she made if official. The Rochester Lourdes basketball star announced that it would be her college home a year from now. She was going to be a Tar Heel.

“As soon as I stepped on campus at North Carolina, I knew it was going to be my new home,” said Ustby, who had narrowed her choices to North Carolina and Minnesota.

“I’d been torn between Minnesota and North Carolina. But when I went on my official visit to North Carolina, I didn’t want to leave.”

Alexia Smith committed tonight

Last edited:

5 Star recruit. Too bad about Ustby but we got an even better player in Smith. Go Gophers.

Can't hurt on a recruiting visit that NC has a Minnesota native on the roster, I suppose.
I've always wondered why posters were so keen to get Ustby. Local player, I know, but she was not even in ESPN's top 100. Having just seen some (ok) video of her: Does she have an unusually big upside or something?

Very good question. Was disappointed Utsby did not pick the GOPHERS. I hope in the course of the next fours years the Gophers meet up with the Tar Heels. Game on!
Can't hurt on a recruiting visit that NC has a Minnesota native on the roster, I suppose.
I've always wondered why posters were so keen to get Ustby. Local player, I know, but she was not even in ESPN's top 100. Having just seen some (ok) video of her: Does she have an unusually big upside or something?

in state recruiting

Mr. Pitino, with more years under his belt here, may strike out for two years in a row on in state recruits.

So many reasons that "kids" may choose to go somewhere else versus staying "home". I've got no concerns over Whalen and her ability to get the best players - no matter where they come from.

Top Bottom