Central Florida actually made championship rings for their season

I love it only for the fact it makes people go nuts defending what has historically been an unsatisfactory, partisan, and genuinely absurd system for naming champions. Pot meet kettle.

How is the current system different from the basketball system in which no one is trying to claim their own title?

Why wait to claim it for 40+ years if it is so legit? It's horrible and anyone that is proud of that title should be ashamed of themselves.

Now you are just being childish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is the current system different from the basketball system in which no one is trying to claim their own title?

Football doesn't have a 64 team playoff bracket like basketball does. If we did, UCF would have had their chance, and not be trying to claim a title right now. Seems pretty simple.

Last I checked there were 64 teams, including every conference champion (AFAIK) included. I would have no issue with the conference champions being the only entrants, but people seem to like 64.

SO every football conference champion would have to be included for it to be fair? At least an 11 team tournament then?

And as for the number 64 in Taji34's post, can we assume that any team that finished with fewer losses than the NCAA champ prior to 1985 can claim a national title?

Ah, so any team that had fewer losses than the NCAA champion prior to 1985 can claim a national title.

You understand nobody thinks this is legitimate, including UCF, right?

If they want to make some rings and maybe a few of them believe they’re champions, let them fly their freak flag. My son thinks he’s Batman.

Besides, nobody ever proved they weren’t champions. They weren’t included in the process. That’s sad for any true sports fan.

If they want to make some rings and maybe a few of them believe they’re champions, let them fly their freak flag. My son thinks he’s Batman.

Besides, nobody ever proved they weren’t champions. They weren’t included in the process. That’s sad for any true sports fan.

A lot of people in this very thread sure seem to think it's legitimate.

I read them as more of a protest against the current unsatisfactory system. I very much doubt most individuals would put up significant piles of their own money on UCF running the table in an 8 team playoff.

Everyone knows you that if you play in one of these conferences you have to schedule big boy non conference games if you want a shot at a national title. FIU, Austin Peay, Maryland, and Navy don't cut it. I bet we'd see undefeated teams from these conferences almost every year if they sand bagged their non conference schedules.

Everyone knows you that if you play in one of these conferences you have to schedule big boy non conference games if you want a shot at a national title. FIU, Austin Peay, Maryland, and Navy don't cut it. I bet we'd see undefeated teams from these conferences almost every year if they sand bagged their non conference schedules.

Maryland is a top 25 talent team. Their team speed is unbelievable.

Maryland is a top 25 talent team. Their team speed is unbelievable.

Maryland just had the #1 WR taken in the draft. But I guess UCF also had a CB drafted in the 1st round. I can't wait until the Gophers get that type of talent.

I thought it was dumb at first, but I have a "World's Best Dad" coffee mug. I guess if I can have one of those, UCF can have a national championship ring.

Winning a nothing bowl game and getting a ring is akin to “world’s best dad”. Having an undefeated season is well beyond that and winning your major bowl is something to celebrate IMO. This team should have been given an opportunity via playoff.

Heck with the unbalanced schedules in the 5 major conferences, you practically had near undefeated’s getting no playoff respect. WI and IA were examples in recent years had they won 1 more game.

This “playoff” seems to be AL, Ohio St and Clemson and 1 other every year. Regardless if they win their conference and if they have 2 losses. Every other level, you actually earn a championship.

I thought it was dumb at first, but I have a "World's Best Dad" coffee mug. I guess if I can have one of those, UCF can have a national championship ring.

Winning a nothing bowl game and getting a ring is akin to “world’s best dad”. Having an undefeated season is well beyond that and winning your major bowl is something to celebrate IMO. This team should have been given an opportunity via playoff.

Heck with the unbalanced schedules in the 5 major conferences, you practically had near undefeated’s getting no playoff respect. WI and IA were examples in recent years had they won 1 more game.

This “playoff” seems to be AL, Ohio St and Clemson and 1 other every year. Regardless if they win their conference and if they have 2 losses. Every other level, you actually earn a championship against a full field.

This “playoff” seems to be AL, Ohio St and Clemson and 1 other every year. Regardless if they win their conference and if they have 2 losses. Every other level, you actually earn a championship against a full field.

We heard you the first time.

I'm the other way. I think UCF's claim is illegitimate, but the CFP process is as well. I don't know how many other sports leagues there are in the world where you can literally win every game you play in a season and still not be made champion, but that is a major flaw. I certainly think that UCF has the most impressive season of anyone in the country last year.

I'm the other way. I think UCF's claim is illegitimate, but the CFP process is as well. I don't know how many other sports leagues there are in the world where you can literally win every game you play in a season and still not be made champion, but that is a major flaw. I certainly think that UCF has the most impressive season of anyone in the country last year.

It's the legitimate, agreed on process. Not one team has left the CFP in disagreement, which they can do any time.

They WERE included in the process. I'm quite certain the Committee reviewed their resume in detail when deciding the four playoff teams. A Committee choosing which teams get to participate in the playoff IS the process, just as it is in basketball.

I do think they're very serious about it. They put it up on the facade of their stadium.

They WERE included in the process. I'm quite certain the Committee reviewed their resume in detail when deciding the four playoff teams. A Committee choosing which teams get to participate in the playoff IS the process, just as it is in basketball.

I do think they're very serious about it. They put it up on the facade of their stadium.

It’s not close to the same. And again, they were never proven to not be champions. People claim eliteness all the time - I suppose it’s all relative.

And they won how many games the last several years?

In year one, Frost and UCF were 13-0 and 6-7 in year zero.
In year one, Durkin and Maryland won 4 games including 2 in the B1G, but Durkin was 6-7 in year zero.

YEAR ZERO:
Maryland/UCF>Minnesota (day 1 draft talent?)

In year one, Frost and UCF were 13-0 and 6-7 in year zero.
In year one, Durkin and Maryland won 4 games including 2 in the B1G, but Durkin was 6-7 in year zero.

YEAR ZERO:
Maryland/UCF>Minnesota (day 1 draft talent?)

And let's not forget that Maryland played one of the toughest schedules in the country last year with their 3rd and 4th string QBs the majority of the year.

UCF has always had talent and their 0-fer year was an anomaly. The one thing Fleck has over Frost is that he built up a team over 4 years.

And let's not forget that Maryland played one of the toughest schedules in the country last year with their 3rd and 4th string QBs the majority of the year.

UCF has always had talent and their 0-fer year was an anomaly. The one thing Fleck has over Frost is that he built up a team over 4 years.

Actually they won with their 3rd and 4th #1 QBs.

More MD love. I would bet there is more on this site than on TerrapinHole.

Incorrect. They were allowed to play in the postseason and did so - as SEC champion, they played in the Sugar Bowl and beat ACC champion Virginia Tech. They were deemed the third-best of three undefeated major conference schools (behind USC and Oklahoma) and were left out of the national championship game.

My bad - I was thinking of 1993. Crap I can't believe that was that long ago. It is majorly different when you have 3 undefeated teams and 2 slots vs. 1 undefeated team, 4 slots and they still don't get in.

They are free to claim whatever they want, and we are free to point out how embarrassing it is for them. It is most certainly not as legitimate as anything else - there is a system in place in which all schools have agreed to take part. By your logic, the Star Tribune could claim the Gophers as national champs and that would be just as legitimate as the CFP. Absurd.

They agree to take part because what other option do they have? The G5 conferences had virtually no say in the process. Notre Dame had more say than the American Conference as a whole.

They agree to take part because what other option do they have? The G5 conferences had virtually no say in the process. Notre Dame had more say than the American Conference as a whole.

What's stopping the G5 schools from forming their own association and having their own playoff? They could have a G5 national champion just like the FCS, DII, and DIII national champions. They don't because they benefit enormously from the Power 5 money. They want to grow their revenue while also claiming silly "national championships" and pretending they could compete on a weekly basis in a Power 5 conference. Sorry - can't have it both ways.

What's stopping the G5 schools from forming their own association and having their own playoff? They could have a G5 national champion just like the FCS, DII, and DIII national champions. They don't because they benefit enormously from the Power 5 money. They want to grow their revenue while also claiming silly "national championships" and pretending they could compete on a weekly basis in a Power 5 conference. Sorry - can't have it both ways.

I’d prefer to have a tournament of FBS conference champions but plan 1b would be a G5 tournament. Of course that would throw the Bowl industry into chaos but it could still be worked out. I’d love to see it. That would leave only the P5 as lacking a sensible postseason system for determining a champion.

The only way this will be solved is to have 8 regional conferences, with each winner entering into a national playoff bracket (NC games should really be scrapped in this scenario). Obviously, since there are more than 8 conferences at the moment a play-in or at-large format would have to be implemented (one team per conference), but it would renew the whole East-West title game (or North-South). I would love to see a renewal of old bowl rivalries, such as the BigTen/PAC10 Rose Bowl, where the winner enters the Final Four alongside the Orange, Cotton, whatever bowl winners.

They didn’t just lose, they got their ***** torn off by better teams. When a team is talented up and down the roster they usually can keep things competitive versus the likes of Rutgers, whom they also lost to. Bortenschlager was a three star sophomore. He wasn’t fresh off the boat and totally hapless. He was serviceable vs the home team....enough said about that.

Do you believe women were inferior and not worthy of being a President because they were not given the right to vote or participate?
I bet you don't.
So, UCF should not be looked down upon because they were not given the same access as a P-5 school, despite the fact they beat a major P-5 school and went undefeated.
Give them respect and don't look down on UCF for claiming something they should have legitimately had the right to participate in.

Huh, you're right. I guess you can make an argument that every president prior to 1920 was elected illegitimately since over half the electorate was disenfranchised. This could get ugly. White supremacists are going to have a field day when they figure out Lincoln didn't actually have a legitimate claim to issue the Emancipation Proclamation as an executive order! Is it possible we might even still be part of the British Empire?

Point being: sure you can make that argument, but it's meaningless. In this case yeah, the system should be changed, but even had UCF been part of the playoffs, they still would have had to, you know, win the actual games. Claiming they were screwed is valid. Claiming as certainty an alternate history in which they are champs is absolutely absurd. Which, whether they intend it or not, is what these rings actually claim.

Huh, you're right. I guess you can make an argument that every president prior to 1920 was elected illegitimately since over half the electorate was disenfranchised. This could get ugly. White supremacists are going to have a field day when they figure out Lincoln didn't actually have a legitimate claim to issue the Emancipation Proclamation as an executive order! Is it possible we might even still be part of the British Empire?

Point being: sure you can make that argument, but it's meaningless. In this case yeah, the system should be changed, but even had UCF been part of the playoffs, they still would have had to, you know, win the actual games. Claiming they were screwed is valid. Claiming as certainty an alternate history in which they are champs is absolutely absurd. Which, whether they intend it or not, is what these rings actually claim.
As others have pointed out, UCF's claim is far from unprecedented. Furthermore it sends a strong message to the NCAA to get their sh!t in order.

Top Bottom