Central Florida actually made championship rings for their season

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

So, on the topic of claiming National Championships - I wonder if the U made any attempt to find any members or relatives of the 1904 team when they claimed that championship a few years ago. Likely all the players had passed, and I'm not sure if there is even a roster that still exists. Just curious.

If they could, I think it would have been neat to present their families with rings, even if they were inexpensive...

I think I saw one of these rings at my dentist office for the kids. A ring for everything.

Good for them. I have no problem with this.

Except the rings say national champions and they simply aren't national champions. They knew the rules coming in. Why not do the same rings with "undefeated" on one side and "season" on the other.

Except the rings say national champions and they simply aren't national champions. They knew the rules coming in. Why not do the same rings with "undefeated" on one side and "season" on the other.

The current rules denied them the opportunity to play for one. I applaud this.

The current rules denied them the opportunity to play for one. I applaud this.

Well not exactly. Under the current rules they didn't qualify to play for the national championship. Similar to St. Mary's not being in the basketball tournament this year. By the current selection criteria they weren't allowed to play. Unfair, but a pretty big leap to say they are the National champions.

UCF finished the season ranked #1 in the Colley Matrix rankings, which is a former ranking used in the BSC calculation. This in some ways does validate their championship claim, at least no differently than many other claimed "national championships" by other schools over the years...

Well not exactly. Under the current rules they didn't qualify to play for the national championship. Similar to St. Mary's not being in the basketball tournament this year. By the current selection criteria they weren't allowed to play. Unfair, but a pretty big leap to say they are the National champions.

Remember when Ohio State leapfrogged Big Ten champion Penn State (a team they were defeated by earlier that season) and went on to get curb stomped to the tune of 31-0 and 215 offensive yards in the first round of the playoff? Good times, good times. Great system.

UCF finished the season ranked #1 in the Colley Matrix rankings, which is a former ranking used in the BSC calculation. This in some ways does validate their championship claim, at least no differently than many other claimed "national championships" by other schools over the years...

Looks like they liked Georgia over UCF.

http://colleyrankings.com/currank.html

It is another part of the alternative truth time we live in. Say something enough times and people will believe it. George Orwell was about 30 years off.
That ring has about as much valuable diamonds as a stone cutting blade. The players should be embarrassed to wear it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is another part of the alternative truth time we live in. Say something enough times and people will believe it. George Orwell was about 30 years off.
That ring has about as much valuable diamonds as a stone cutting blade. The players should be embarrassed to wear it.

100%

It will be valuable someday, maybe the year 2255.... like the upside down airplane stamp... a mistake turned into a fortune...

This is a tough one, but I say good for them. They were undefeated and beat multiple ranked teams. Screw the NCAA & the playoff rules, UCF has the right to declare themselves champions.

This is a tough one, but I say good for them. They were undefeated and beat multiple ranked teams. Screw the NCAA & the playoff rules, UCF has the right to declare themselves champions.

No they don’t! Life isn’t always fair and you just can’t make stuff up because you want to do it. Well, you can make stuff up, just don’t expect people to believe you or follow along.

No they don’t! Life isn’t always fair and you just can’t make stuff up because you want to do it.

UCF was undefeated. They beat everyone they faced, including Auburn. Alabama lost one game, that being to Auburn. Since Alabama and UCF didn't meet head to head, the common tie-breaking procedure is to compare records against common opponents. UCF wins that tie-breaker. They have every right to claim championship status over Alabama.

Nice! My MK Diamond Tile saw needs a new blade.

UCF was undefeated. They beat everyone they faced, including Auburn. Alabama lost one game, that being to Auburn. Since Alabama and UCF didn't meet head to head, the common tie-breaking procedure is to compare records against common opponents. UCF wins that tie-breaker. They have every right to claim championship status over Alabama.

100%. They did everything they could do. Let group of 5 have their own playoff or expand playoff to 8 and give power 5 automatic plus group of 5 automatic and 2 wildcards.

Not even the UCF players think this is legit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Women didn't qualify to vote until 1920.
Good for UCF. Give a big two fisted middle finger to the NCAA.

100%. They did everything they could do. Let group of 5 have their own playoff or expand playoff to 8 and give power 5 automatic plus group of 5 automatic and 2 wildcards.

They have a game for that, it’s called the FCS championship.
The players and the coaches all knew that it was nearly impossible for their school to qualify for the BCS games when they signed up. Sorry, no cigar....

Those championship rings are about as legit as the AP poll, Coach’s poll, BCS, and CFP. College football is great in every way, except the postseason playoff leaving out deserving teams every single year.

They have a game for that, it’s called the FCS championship.
The players and the coaches all knew that it was nearly impossible for their school to qualify for the BCS games when they signed up. Sorry, no cigar....

You really are an idiot. Group of five schools are FBS not FCS

I was shocked to see the National Champion Central Florida program lose their head Coach on the first train out of town. Don't see that happen every day.
Does anyone fear that Frost is creating another cult in Lincoln like they have in Happy Valley? It's already happening.

It is a 100% illegitimate claim and frankly it’s embarrassing.

You really are an idiot. Group of five schools are FBS not FCS

I guess my response was a little too subtle for you to understand. Everyone is well aware that the non-P5 schools have almost no chance of playing for the FBS national championship. It take years of very high level success for a small school to even get the respect to be allowed into the playoffs. Heck, not even all of the P5 conferences get the same respect (i.e. SEC over PAC). Every year there are P5 schools that should have made the playoffs. So with all of that in mind and knowing they will not change the playoffs, any small school that wants to play for a natty should be in the FCS. NDSU thinks it is a big deal to win at that level, maybe there should be more competition and make it a realistic goal for those schools.

UCF's thing was kinda cute and funny.

Now it seems like ... yeah alt facts type stuff. Getting a bit creepy.

Top Bottom