Mark Coyle provides update on the Gopher Loyalty Program

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per GopherSports.com:

During my very first press conference at Minnesota, now nearly two years ago, I talked about how fans have invested so much in Gopher Athletics over the years and how I felt that the athletics department needed to do more to invest back in those fans. That's a never-ending charge for me and for everyone who works in our department. We are always discussing new and different ways to create more value and better experiences for the people who invest the most in us, our season ticket holders and donors.

Our boldest effort to invest more in Gopher fans came this past year with the launch of the Gopher Loyalty Program. This program is unlike any other in college athletics. It's different. It's inclusive. It's customizable. It's entirely unique to Minnesota.

Just like every other school, at least across the Power Five conferences, we had a benefits program in the past that only rewarded donors and treated them exactly the same, offering one-size-fits-all benefit packages based on their giving level.

Last year, we saw a new way to reward our most loyal supporters.

First, we opened up the program to all season ticket holders, many of whom had never received benefits from us to show gratitude for their support. Then we found a way for each fan to customize their benefits packages to include items and experiences they cared about the most.

Now, whether you're a major donor, a long-time season ticket holder, or a first-time contributor, we are finding new ways to thank you for that support and provide one-of-a-kind Gopher Athletics experiences, with the flexibility to build a benefits package that's the best fit for you. No other department in college athletics is doing anything quite like this for its fans.

In total, we offered more than 66,000 benefits in the inaugural year of the Gopher Loyalty Program. The most popular, as you might imagine, were our experiential benefits - opportunities to go behind-the-scenes and get closer to our coaches and student-athletes. These experiences were the cornerstone of this year's program. In the last year of our old system, we offered three experiential benefits. In the first year of the Gopher Loyalty Program, we offered 84.

Opportunities were available for fans across the Gopher Score spectrum. One concern we heard this year was that the best opportunities were only available to those with the best Gopher Score rank, but many unique experiences were available for those with a Gopher Score rank above 9,000, including men's hockey "Skate with the Gophers," band practice viewing events, our Gopher Insider events with Coach McCutcheon (volleyball), Coach Eggum (wrestling) and Coach Frost (women's hockey), and Coffee with the AD, where I sat down with fans for an hour in the morning for a quick presentation and an open question and answer session about our department. We held several of these morning sessions throughout the year.

What's been wonderful about this program is how Gopher fans who received limited or no benefits in our old program were offered so much more by the Gopher Loyalty Program. Here are two cases of actual Gopher fans.

Single 28-year-old who is a $50 annual donor and a pick-your-pack buyer with a Gopher Score rank in the 8,300s went from receiving a 15-percent discount at Goldy's Locker Room and a student-athlete calendar, to hearing from coaches at a Gopher Insider event with our softball program, enjoying a movie from the field at TCF Bank Stadium Movie Night, walking into any Olympic sporting event on campus with the Gopher Sports Pass, a Ski-U-Mah magazine subscription for the year, and a 25-point boost to his Gopher Score.
Married 41-year-old with three kids with men's basketball and volleyball season tickets, no annual donation and a Gopher Score rank of nearly 11,000 previously received no benefits. Zero. Zilch. Last year, this fan and his family stopped by the VIP Tent at the Griak Invitational, attended any Olympic sporting events they wanted for free with the Gopher Sports Pass, watched a movie on the TCF Bank Stadium field as part of Movie Night, and received an annual subscription to Ski-U-Mah magazine.

Creating and launching the Gopher Loyalty Program this year was exciting, but we always kept in mind that it was a pilot program. There was no example for us to follow, no blueprint about how to build a program like this. We knew it was a step toward our goal of better investing in fans, but we also knew it wouldn't be perfect. We are looking to add new experiences, more opportunities, and expand the program to provide better benefits to every single season ticket holder and donor. We are excited to unveil an improved Gopher Loyalty Program later this summer as we start our second year.

We try to operate our athletics department by five guiding principles. One of these in innovation, and nowhere in our department was there a more sweeping innovation last year than the Gopher Loyalty Program. This program will become a model for how athletics departments reward loyal donors and season ticket holders. I hope you all continue to take advantage of its benefits next year.

http://www.gophersports.com/genrel/042418aaa.html

Go Gophers!!

One comment - there's no link on HOW to take advantage, no link on what's available, etc. Unless I missed it. It'd be great if there was a button to push to take you to the rewards program.

Not sure I'll actually take advantage of it. A lot of the things last year I wasn't interested in (not saying they were bad or something is wrong with the program, just didn't fit my personal taste).

I am about 4400 on the list of over 15,000. I think the best option I had was to build your own Gopher calendar. An on the field experience is about the only benefit I could get excited about and those are the first to go. Hard to take advantage of offers when you live so far away, sucks for me.

One comment - there's no link on HOW to take advantage, no link on what's available, etc. Unless I missed it. It'd be great if there was a button to push to take you to the rewards program.

Not sure I'll actually take advantage of it. A lot of the things last year I wasn't interested in (not saying they were bad or something is wrong with the program, just didn't fit my personal taste).

Within the article Bleed linked to

https://www.mygophersports.com/Online/article/loyalty

Per the article, August is when you can make selections. Guessing we'll get more info on the selections as we get closer to that date.

Are they going to have more than two bathrooms and waits in line for food for less than 30 minutes for Movie night this year?....... would be nice.

I have been a season ticket holder (of 4) since 2006 and pay scholarship seating amounts for them to boot. By the time it was my turn to pick rewards last year, there was literally nothing available that interested me. I think I picked a gopher magazine and left other opportunities unfulfilled because they were worthless to me. There were a few things on the list that interested me but they were long gone by the time it was my turn. I told the poor kid that helping me with my selections that the whole thing gave me a sour taste in my mouth that I wouldn't have had if they had simply not had the program. He said I wasn't the first person that told him that. If true, it looks like they took the feedback, and mostly ignored it for this year. Sigh.

I think they need tiers of rewards, and the majority have a shot at at least one top tier award - like a tour, on-field, in the tunnel, etc. Or perhaps "values" for the rewards of some kind. (I'll leave it to the experts - my degree is from CLA.) Spread the wealth. I'd like to see them make the rewards more of an experience. We did the stadium tour and it felt like just a group of people that happened to be someplace and they decided to show us around. They forgot to turn on the stadium lights so they weren't lit until near the end - would have been a cool view from the suites. They could have had fake field or suite passes for us, someone to take pictures on the field, recognition on the scoreboard, things like that that could have made us feel like we were valued rather than just - oh okay, we'll show you around. It was a better tour than we've had before, but it really felt like an afterthought. Free popcorn at movie night perhaps? Anyway, it's a nice start. Hopefully the kinks will get worked out.

I have been a season ticket holder (of 4) since 2006 and pay scholarship seating amounts for them to boot. By the time it was my turn to pick rewards last year, there was literally nothing available that interested me. I think I picked a gopher magazine and left other opportunities unfulfilled because they were worthless to me. There were a few things on the list that interested me but they were long gone by the time it was my turn. I told the poor kid that helping me with my selections that the whole thing gave me a sour taste in my mouth that I wouldn't have had if they had simply not had the program. He said I wasn't the first person that told him that. If true, it looks like they took the feedback, and mostly ignored it for this year. Sigh.

I think you hit the nail on the head......

Hopefully the make the rewards better this year.

It was a weird roll out as there were these benefits that had been around for a while that we never got access to (who did then!?!?) and then they rolled it out and .... honestly most seemed like programs or ideas that were lying around in the office and they just threw them on.

Didn't help that guys like me snapped up a bunch of tunnel teams because as you said there wasn't anything left and that was the only thing I kinda liked.

Movie night when I got there they didn't even check tickets and then there were long lines for food and bathrooms (not gonna do it again after that).

I passed on coffee with Coyle... I even left choices on the table because... did not want.

It was a weird program, seems to be the same weird program. Maybe someone is busting their ass for all this but the end result seems half hearted.

Honestly most everything from the athletic department seems cold, detached, slightly off, half half hearted. It is really weird.

It was a weird roll out as there were these benefits that had been around for a while that we never got access to (who did then!?!?) and then they rolled it out and .... honestly most seemed like programs or ideas that were lying around in the office and they just threw them on.

Didn't help that guys like me snapped up a bunch of tunnel teams because as you said there wasn't anything left and that was the only thing I kinda liked.

Movie night when I got there they didn't even check tickets and then there were long lines for food and bathrooms (not gonna do it again after that).

I passed on coffee with Coyle... I even left choices on the table because... did not want.

It was a weird program, seems to be the same weird program. Maybe someone is busting their ass for all this but the end result seems half hearted.

Honestly most everything from the athletic department seems cold, detached, slightly off, half half hearted. It is really weird.

They need a real pro running the marketing for the Football Operations. I applaud the idea but the execution was very poor. My choices were horrible, while just the year before I asked my representative in the ticket office for on field passes prior to kickoff for the NW game and my request was happily granted.

TCU lets their season ticket holders children on the field for the players to run through as they come out of their tunnel....what a great idea.

They need a real pro running the marketing for the Football Operations. I applaud the idea but the execution was very poor. My choices were horrible, while just the year before I asked my representative in the ticket office for on field passes prior to kickoff for the NW game and my request was happily granted.

TCU lets their season ticket holders children on the field for the players to run through as they come out of their tunnel....what a great idea.

Agreed.

I wish I knew more about the athletic department, something is ... just off on how they do everything. Not all bad, just off.

No doubt this is important for Coyle. Good thought but horrible plan.

As a long time ST holder, it did absolutely nothing for me. What reward?

Reward idea: a scramble golf tourney/BBQ at UofM Golf Course. Put a mens or womens golf team member/coach on each group of 3. Wouldn't cost much and
you'd have over 100 spots per event. Have a couple of them as I'm guessing demand would be high.

That's the type of reward people are looking for.

Top Bottom