2018 Gophers NFL Draft and FA signings

West Fargo Gopher Fan

Section 114 Row 2
Reaction score
Most mock drafts do not have a Gopher being drafted this year. Still all you need is one team that likes you enough to spend a draft pick. What are your thoughts?

Outside chance at being drafted (less than 50% IMO):

Steven Richardson

Nate Wozniak

Others:

Adekunle Ayinde

Vincent Calhoun

Jonathan Celestin

Merrick Jackson

Kobe McCrary

Duke McGhee

Ryan Santoso

Andrew Stelter

Garrison Wright

It's not a bumper crop, but I could see Richardson getting picked late on the third day as a situational guy.

Of the rest of the guys, I think McCrary, Wozniak, and Santoso probably get a look in a camp. I really think McCrary has a chance at the next level. He's not instinctive, but he's a good one-cut runner who may have a future as a short yardage guy for the right team. A lot will depend whether he can show himself to be a reliable blocker. Wozniak and Santoso each have a singular aspect of their game that is very strong (Wozniak, size; Santoso, leg strength) that can pique a team's interest.

I'd be shocked if Wozniak gets drafted or makes a team....He just isn't a good athlete.

I’d actually not be surprised if he had a nice NFL career.

He won’t get drafted, but teams could have initial interest based on his freak size. It would be great if he found success but he’d have to play the role at a higher skill level than he ever did at MN. Being mongo will get you looks but his weak play in college makes it unlikely he could earn NFL time.

He won’t get drafted, but teams could have initial interest based on his freak size. It would be great if he found success but he’d have to play the role at a higher skill level than he ever did at MN. Being mongo will get you looks but his weak play in college makes it unlikely he could earn NFL time.

The NFL loves freaks.

I’d actually not be surprised if he had a nice NFL career.

I wouldn't either. I saw some improvement from him. I think he is still growing into his frame. I wouldn't be surprised for him to get a camp invite and make a practice squad. From there, much can happen.

NFL loves Freak Athletes. Not sure I would consider Wozniak a great athlete he is just tall, if he was 6-5 no one would care.

Sasquatch will be drafted if just for looks.

I don't know if any of them will be drafted, but I could definitely see Celestin, McCrary and McGhee getting looks in training camp somewhere. The key to sticking on a roster will be flexibility - able to play more than one position, or show you can be a good special-teams guy.

NFL loves Freak Athletes. Not sure I would consider Wozniak a great athlete he is just tall, if he was 6-5 no one would care.

Yeah I use the term freak only in relation to his size. He is not a freak athlete or even a good one. He was a poor college TE and so there is no reason to believe he could succeed in the NFL. The only thing that he has going for him is his size. I will be happy if he somehow has sudden and massive improvement in his playing ability but that is unlikely.

Yeah I use the term freak only in relation to his size. He is not a freak athlete or even a good one. He was a poor college TE and so there is no reason to believe he could succeed in the NFL. The only thing that he has going for him is his size. I will be happy if he somehow has sudden and massive improvement in his playing ability but that is unlikely.

He was our best blocking TE since Spaeth.

He was our best blocking TE since Spaeth.

Maybe. I'd be interested in the metrics on that. But we've also had an underwhelming run at TE outside of Maxx Williams in the recent past. I guess I also consider the position multi-dimensional and Wozniak has the hands of a lobster. For my money, just being a third tackle doesn't equate to a quality tight-end.

Maybe. I'd be interested in the metrics on that. But we've also had an underwhelming run at TE outside of Maxx Williams in the recent past. I guess I also consider the position multi-dimensional and Wozniak has the hands of a lobster. For my money, just being a third tackle doesn't equate to a quality tight-end.

We've been underwhelming at TE? I guess. I think it's probably been our best position outside of DB lately. These guys have all played in the NFL since Spaeth:
Maxx Williams;
Jack Simmons;
Nick Tow Arnett.

As far as metrics on blocking, that's not really possible.

As far as your third point, I guess that's how some people look at it, that's certainly not how the NFL sees it. There has been an emergence of the strictly blocking TE (pretty much strictly blocking). It's sort of taken the position of the FB on many teams (forces teams to widen their splits on DL on passing plays, obviously helps the run game, etc.).

We've been underwhelming at TE? I guess. I think it's probably been our best position outside of DB lately. These guys have all played in the NFL since Spaeth:
Maxx Williams;
Jack Simmons;
Nick Tow Arnett.

As far as metrics on blocking, that's not really possible.

As far as your third point, I guess that's how some people look at it, that's certainly not how the NFL sees it. There has been an emergence of the strictly blocking TE (pretty much strictly blocking). It's sort of taken the position of the FB on many teams (forces teams to widen their splits on DL on passing plays, obviously helps the run game, etc.).

Can't forget Marquies Gray on the TE list.

Apparently, the Eagles and the Falcons value TEs with certain physique for their blocking and as an extra protector on the blind side. At 6' 10", I can see teams springing a blocking TE guy like Woz for a rare occasional pass play.

I was on NFL.com checking to see if any of our guys were drafted. They have a screen when you can filter NFL prospects by position or college. The list of colleges is quite extensive, and even includes Minnesota Morris. That being said Minnesota did not even appear on the list.

I was on NFL.com checking to see if any of our guys were drafted. They have a screen when you can filter NFL prospects by position or college. The list of colleges is quite extensive, and even includes Minnesota Morris. That being said Minnesota did not even appear on the list.

Program has a long way to go to relevance.

Top Bottom