Athletes Village Public Open House Scheduled for May 19

WindyCityGopher

Reaction score
I wish I could come up for a tour, the Village looks amazing.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Here's the press release:

Gophers Welcome Fans to Athletes Village

MINNEAPOLIS - On Saturday, May 19, Gopher Athletics will toss open the door to the new Athletes Village for fans to come and explore the new facilities in what will be the largest event hosted in Athletes Village since it opened to Gopher student-athletes and staff earlier this year.

“Welcome to Athletes Village” is a completely free event that will offer fans the chance to visit many spaces throughout the three new structures added to the department’s existing Bierman and Gibson-Nagurski facilities at the corner of 15th St. SE and 5th Ave. SE in Dinkytown. Gopher Athletics staff will be positioned throughout the facilities to answer questions as fans go on self-guided tours.

Fans will be able to visit select spaces inside the Land O’Lakes Inc. Center for Excellence, Charlie and Kathy Cunningham Basketball Performance Center, David and Janis Larson Football Performance Center and the new indoor practice facility. These spaces include: the Lindahl Academic Center, the nutrition center and the leadership center; basketball practice court, film room, locker room and lounge; football Hall of Fame, Gameday Experience, weight room, team meeting rooms, locker room and lounge, and; the new indoor field.

Fans planning to attend the event will need to register online. For all fans with a Gopher Score, registration opens tomorrow (Tues., Apr. 24) at 9 a.m. Registration for remaining spots will be open to the general public on Thurs., Apr. 26 at 9 a.m. Individuals are limited to reserving six spots for the event and are asked to select an arrival time from one of seven different 30-minute windows, the first starting at 11 a.m. and the last at 2 p.m. Each window will be limited to approximately 285 people.

Funded entirely by ongoing private fundraising and athletics revenue – no taxpayer or tuition money – the Athletes Village opened in January 2018 and added more than 338,000 square feet of new academic, leadership, nutrition, practice, and team support space to Gopher Athletics’ footprint. These were the first significant additions to the everyday facilities Gopher student-athletes use to study and train in more than 30 years. The opening of these facilities are the start of a transformational time for Gopher Athletics, one that has catapulted the department from having some of the worst everyday facilities in the Big Ten to some of the best in the nation.

Though significant, Athletes Village is not the only facilities project currently underway to benefit Gopher student-athletes. By the end of the calendar year, Gopher Athletics will also have opened a new outdoor track and field stadium, a new golf practice facility, and a new wrestling facility, along with continued renovations in Bierman and Gibson-Nagurski to improve facilities for many additional Gopher programs. Like the Athletes Village, this work is being financed entirely through donated funds and athletics revenue.
--

Figures, I will be out of town that week. So glad they are doing this, just bad timing for me.

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We toured the Athletes Village last Saturday as part of the loyalty rewards program. WOW. What an amazing facility. Lots of special touches, like the windows in the meeting rooms can be tinted on demand. For football, the weight room is huge, the trainer room has underwater treadmills, and the lockers in the locker room can be lit differently - they were lit to show the Minneapolis skyline. The basketball area is also impressive - particularly since there are two identical areas for men and women. The view of downtown from the main academic lobby (I think) on the 6th floor is gorgeous. If you can visit it, do. It's impressive.

We toured the Athletes Village last Saturday as part of the loyalty rewards program. WOW. What an amazing facility. Lots of special touches, like the windows in the meeting rooms can be tinted on demand. For football, the weight room is huge, the trainer room has underwater treadmills, and the lockers in the locker room can be lit differently - they were lit to show the Minneapolis skyline. The basketball area is also impressive - particularly since there are two identical areas for men and women. The view of downtown from the main academic lobby (I think) on the 6th floor is gorgeous. If you can visit it, do. It's impressive.

Took the tour yesterday and I 100% agree. Athletes Village has everything, and I mean everything, a Power 5 Football team could possibly need to be successful. The weight room, nutrition and dining center, locker room, meeting rooms, training space, multi-media room and indoor practice facility are beyond belief. In fact, I would say that, particularly when coupled with TCF Stadium, this facility puts Gopher Football in a position where there are no more valid excuses. None. And if this coaching staff can't, at a minimum, get this program within the next few years to the level where they are routinely competing with and beating the top teams in the Big 10, both on the field and in recruiting, they need to go and we need to bring in someone who can. With this kind of investment, the Gopher fan base deserves nothing less!

It's an arms race with no advantage. Northwestern just previewed their facility. WOW

Top Bottom