Gophers Schedule So Far

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Wednesday, Nov. 6 is college basketball's Opening Night. Gophers' ACC Challenge is assumed road game.

Gophers 2018-19
Nov. 11-15: HOME CUPCAKE (Vancouver Showcase)
Nov. 11-15: HOME CUPCAKE (Vancouver Showcase)
Nov. 18-20: vs. 2 of Santa Clara/Texas A&M/Washington (Vancouver Showcase)
Nov. 26-28: @ ACC Challenge (guess is Notre Dame)
Nov. 30-Dec. 4: vs. B1G opponent TBD
Nov. 30-Dec. 4: vs. B1G opponent TBD
Date TBD: vs. TBD @ U.S. Bank Stadium (guess is Kansas State)
Dates TBD: 5 other non-conference games, all most likely at Williams Arena

Conference Opponents (20)
ILLINOIS*
@ Illinois*
INDIANA*
IOWA*
MARYLAND*
@ Maryland*
MICHIGAN*
@ Michigan*
@ Michigan State*
NEBRASKA*
@ Nebraska*
@ Northwestern*
@ Ohio State*
PENN STATE*
PURDUE*
@ Purdue*
RUTGERS*
@ Rutgers*
WISCONSIN*
@ Wisconsin*

Projected Home/Road/Neutral Mix: 17 home, 11 road, 3 neutral

March 13: B1G Tournament, Chicago (Weakling Wednesday)
March 14: 2nd Round
March 15: Quarterfinals
March 16: Semifinals
March 17: Championship Game

I think there's a good chance we avoid Santa Clara in the first game of the Vancouver Classic. With the lack of buzz surrounding the Gophers (whether it be national or in the Big Ten) going into next year, my guess is Washington or Texas A&M will get stuck with that matchup. Santa Clara is easily the worst of the four teams. I'm assuming the Barclays Classic made us play UMass last year instead of BYU because we were projected to be the best team of the four, with UMass being projected as the worst. But just speculation I guess. Do we know yet if all the matchups will be set regardless who wins and loses, or will it be tournament-style?

If they could somehow face Washington and Texas A&M. Those are 2 teams that I would think will be projected to be in NCAA tournament next year based on what they have returning. For Texas A&M it might depend upon who returns as I think Robert Williams and Tyler Davis declared. I would think Williams will stay in the draft and Davis will return.

Vancouver Showcase

Take it for what it's worth, Vancouver Showcase Twitter account told me it won't be pre-determined matchups, hence, it'll be true semifinals and finals (and 3rd place game). The 4 "lesser" teams will have the same format.

My guess for semifinal matchups are (1) Texas A&M vs. (4) Santa Clara, (2) Washington vs. (3) Gophers. Aggies will get the benefit of the doubt for the #1 seed for making the Sweet 16 last year, though in reality I think Washington will be the best team of the 4. Nice opportunity for the Gophers, and hopefully avoid Santa Clara.

Take it for what it's worth, Vancouver Showcase Twitter account told me it won't be pre-determined matchups, hence, it'll be true semifinals and finals (and 3rd place game). The 4 "lesser" teams will have the same format.

My guess for semifinal matchups are (1) Texas A&M vs. (4) Santa Clara, (2) Washington vs. (3) Gophers. Aggies will get the benefit of the doubt for the #1 seed for making the Sweet 16 last year, though in reality I think Washington will be the best team of the 4. Nice opportunity for the Gophers, and hopefully avoid Santa Clara.

I hope that's how it's set up and I agree that Washington is probably the best of the 4 teams, but they aren't world beaters either. I think the Gophers can beat them, if they have their full roster available.

If they're somehow able to draw both Washington and Texas A&M. Once you throw in their US Bank game and the ACC/B1G challenge game, you have a solid foundation for a schedule. I hope they throw in a decent mid-major to bring into the Barn. I would like to see a home and home with another power 5 team as well.

If they're somehow able to draw both Washington and Texas A&M. Once you throw in their US Bank game and the ACC/B1G challenge game, you have a solid foundation for a schedule. I hope they throw in a decent mid-major to bring into the Barn. I would like to see a home and home with another power 5 team as well.

Absolute best scenario would be (1) Texas A&M, (2) Washington, (3) U.S. Bank opponent, (4) ACC opponent, and/or (5) Big East Gavitt Games opponent/start of home & home. I suspect 5 isn't happening. If that's the case, Gophers not likely to have a Power 6/notable home opponent this season.

SS -

What is going on with the B1G schedule - are they splitting it up like last year? (a couple conference games, then OOC, then back to conference)? I thought Delaney said it was a mistake last year? Or do we avoid a condensed schedule still?

SS -

What is going on with the B1G schedule - are they splitting it up like last year? (a couple conference games, then OOC, then back to conference)? I thought Delaney said it was a mistake last year? Or do we avoid a condensed schedule still?

Playing 20 forces the same situation as cutting a week off the season. They would either have to start around December 20th and have games the week of Christmas or get two out of the way in early December. I don't have a huge issue with it. Playing the conference tournament a week early sucked and that's the part Delaney said he would not repeat.

Top Bottom