Vanderbilt transfer Payton Willis just verbally committed to Minnesota

Why would an arbitrary ranking from two years ago play into your opinion at all?

Go Gophers!!

I keep asking the same thing but that never seems to register with some people. Why believe what your lying eyes tell you about his lack of minutes and accomplishments in two years of D1 basketball? Much more reliable is the rating that some laptop jockeys assigned to him while he was in high school over two years ago.

I don't think the good people of GopherHole appreciate you saying that their website is not secure.

Why do you feel compelled to comment on peoples' diction on an internet message board? I'm not looking to publish my comments in a journal.

Why would an arbitrary ranking from two years ago play into your opinion at all?

Go Gophers!!

Maybe it won't matter, but some believed at one point he has talent. Some people take longer to develop. Maybe he never will, only time will tell.

I still like the pickup because I think he has more potential and is a better version of Jamir Harris.

Maybe it won't matter, but some believed at one point he has talent. Some people take longer to develop. Maybe he never will, only time will tell.

I still like the pickup because I think he has more potential and is a better version of Jamir Harris.

I didn't see Vandy play at all the last two years so I have no opinion of this kid, what did you see in Willis that leads you to believe he is a better version of what Harris would have developed into after this next year?

Go Gophers!!

How much productivity and/or minutes do the 12th and 13th scholarships actually provide on a good team?

I think it's ridiculous to "bank" a scholarship when you can get a player into your program for a year to help out -- using a scholarship that would likely be occupied at this point with an end of the bench player. With all the fluidity of college basketball rosters from year to year, bring in somebody that will fill a need the following year. Most likely you'll be replacing another player or two via transfer that you don't expect to the prior spring.

Ideally you don't fill out your roster with the Gaston-type players but it was a perfect storm this year losing two of your three best front court players and being forced to play way too many minutes with Konate and Gaston.

Regarding Willis -- I don't think guy is a big a reach as the players he's being compared against (Mav).

I didn't see Vandy play at all the last two years so I have no opinion of this kid, what did you see in Willis that leads you to believe he is a better version of what Harris would have developed into after this next year?

Go Gophers!!

He's bigger and offers more athleticism then Harris. Harris probably ups his 3pt% throughout his college career, but they are pretty similar shooting wise. The big difference is Willis can be a primary ball handler. Harris is more like Dupree in a sense that he could be the primary guy, but probably not the best thing for the team. A guy like Marcus Carr from Pitt would have been the better option, but to say that Willis isn't a decent player is false. He will offer something on both offense and defense, and I'm sure the tune of bringing him in will change once he's finally able to get on the court.

+ +

Everyone makes mistakes but eventually one should learn from them.

Count me a Pitino supporter, but this move brings out the cynical side of my my neuron processors.

Why believe what your lying eyes tell you about his lack of minutes and accomplishments in two years of D1 basketball? Much more reliable is the rating that some laptop jockeys assigned to him while he was in high school over two years ago.
18.5 mpg is a lack of minutes? He was sixth on the team in minutes per and he played behind two senior guards. Did you watch a single Vanderbilt game this last year to adequately determine his lack of talent or potential?

Hey, I am not overly excited about the pick up either but for **** sake...already comparing the kid to 2 star, little-talent, little-recruited-by-anyone Ahanmisi? Maybe let him suit up before we throw out the Mav comparisons. What an insult!

Standards for sit out transfers just have to be so much higher than this. Willis has been ineffective in two years of major college basketball. It's not that there's no chance he will be effective, but that his performance to date suggests it is unlikely he will be effective. If you are taking a guy who has to sit out a year, you should be expecting an impact starter and Willis has a long way to go to just be an acceptable bench piece. This is a bigger stretch than Stockman in my opinion. At least with Stockman you could make the argument that he was behind an NBA player in Montrezl Harrell and that there are only so many 7 footers in the world. Willis is a reserve guard from a team that was worse than the Gophers in 2017-2019.

............. it's a good thing none of you are a college basketball coach.

Not a single one of you knows Pitino's strategy.

It's simply amazing how many armchair coaches there are on this board that know way more then Coach Pitino.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

............. it's a good thing none of you are a college basketball coach.

Not a single one of you knows Pitino's strategy.

It's simply amazing how many armchair coaches there are on this board that know way more then Coach Pitino.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks for setting us straight on a message board. Can't believe how we were discussing roster, players, etc., on a basketball forum. Sometimes we just get so dumb. Thanks!

Thanks for setting us straight on a message board. Can't believe how we were discussing roster, players, etc., on a basketball forum. Sometimes we just get so dumb. Thanks!
We could discuss the color of Williams Arena’s gym floor, that might be safe?

So basically Willis is a drop in replacement for Harris. I think that is an upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18.5 mpg is a lack of minutes? He was sixth on the team in minutes per and he played behind two senior guards. Did you watch a single Vanderbilt game this last year to adequately determine his lack of talent or potential?

Hey, I am not overly excited about the pick up either but for **** sake...already comparing the kid to 2 star, little-talent, little-recruited-by-anyone Ahanmisi? Maybe let him suit up before we throw out the Mav comparisons. What an insult!

I didn't compare him to Mav. Someone else did.

I didn't have to. His composite measures were very similar to Michael Hurt last year and so were his minutes per game and he, like Michael, also played for a lousy team. Would you be excited about getting Michael as a sit out transfer?

So you watched him for a few minutes over a few games and you maybe saw one or two things that looked good. Should I feel that's worth more than composite measures of his two year career? Well, I'll answer that: NO!

So basically Willis is a drop in replacement for Harris. I think that is an upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So were you hoping for sit out transfer who was a slight upgrade over Jamir Harris?

I didn't have to. His composite measures were very similar to Michael Hurt last year and so were his minutes per game and he, like Michael, also played for a lousy team. Would you be excited about getting Michael as a sit out transfer?

So you watched him for a few minutes over a few games and you maybe saw one or two things that looked good. Should I feel that's worth more than composite measures of his two year career? Well, I'll answer that: NO!

So you never need to turn on a game to see if someone can play? Just tune into the composite stats and that tells you all you need to know about a player. Because you are comparing a player with zero athleticism and is more of a forward to a player that has good athleticism and is a PG...

Basketball doesn't work by looking at box score stats and determining if a player is good or not.

Stats of Chase Jeter at Duke

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/chase-jeter-1.html

Why would a team like Arizona line up to get him when he couldn't even put up better stats than Michael Hurt.

So you never need to turn on a game to see if someone can play? Just tune into the composite stats and that tells you all you need to know about a player. Because you are comparing a player with zero athleticism and is more of a forward to a player that has good athleticism and is a PG...

Basketball doesn't work by looking at box score stats and determining if a player is good or not.

Stats of Chase Jeter at Duke

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/chase-jeter-1.html

Why would a team like Arizona line up to get him when he couldn't even put up better stats than Michael Hurt.

Chase Jeter played on very successful teams with multiple All Americans and supplemented by some very capable vets. Although I certainly don't consider ratings infallible, he was a five star player and you can normally count on a rating that high indicating the necessary talent level. Finally, he is a big man and they often develop a little more slowly.

I never said that there is no need to watch a player. I just doubt that you watched Willis as much as you're pretending that you did so I don't think what was likely a few short glimpses means as much as composite numbers over a two year career.

He's bigger and offers more athleticism then Harris. Harris probably ups his 3pt% throughout his college career, but they are pretty similar shooting wise. The big difference is Willis can be a primary ball handler. Harris is more like Dupree in a sense that he could be the primary guy, but probably not the best thing for the team. A guy like Marcus Carr from Pitt would have been the better option, but to say that Willis isn't a decent player is false. He will offer something on both offense and defense, and I'm sure the tune of bringing him in will change once he's finally able to get on the court.

Agree. He's a good ball handler and 4" taller which helps him defensively. As long as we add another PG, we'll have at least 3 who can handle the ball in 2019-20.

Willis can handle the ball, a desperate need on this team. Hurt can't. Big difference.

Absolutely comical that some people on this board are comparing Willis to Ahanmisi. Mav was one of the worst guards to come through this program in my lifetime. Willis seems like he will be a better version of Jamir Harris. Better handles, most likely a better defender, probably a wash shooting-wise. He has an entire year to work on his game. It's not unreasonable to think he can be a solid player in our rotation.

Willis can handle the ball, a desperate need on this team. Hurt can't. Big difference.

You're right we could use someone like that - FOR THIS UPCOMING SEASON! I didn't say he had the same level of athleticism or the same skill set as Hurt; relatively speaking, he just had a similar level of productivity as a soph. If this is the best that Pitino can do for a sit out transfer, that's not very inspiring. Of course, we had the same horde of pollyanna schmucks on the board last summer telling me that I was an idiot for saying that taking Stockman instead of an immediately illegible grad transfer was a bad move because our roster depth was very risky upfront. We do have three scholarships this summer and that makes a big difference but this still is an underwhelming pickup for a sit out transfer.

has nothing to do with discussing roster and players. I was referring to the guys that throw RP under the bus after one recruit commit.

You're right we could use someone like that - FOR THIS UPCOMING SEASON!
We have two more scholarships left. We can still add quality ball handlers that are immediately eligible.

Of course, we had the same horde of pollyanna schmucks on the board last summer telling me that I was an idiot for saying that taking Stockman instead of an immediately illegible grad transfer was a bad move because our roster depth was very risky upfront.

Are you the same poster that couldn't comprehend that quality grad transfers that played center likely wouldn't want to come to a team that had the returning Big Ten defensive player of the year at the same position? Grad transfers want playing time. One willing to only play about 10 minutes per game for their last season ever of college basketball probably wouldn't have been any better than Konate. Looks like you're still struggling with that.

has nothing to do with discussing roster and players. I was referring to the guys that throw RP under the bus after one recruit commit.

It is because of all the losing that wears people out. In addition recruiting is much tougher that fans can imagine and even tougher for the best grad transfer guards. There are only a few of the really good ones and they are coveted by programs that are further along . Not every class is great anywhere except for the blue bloods.

Chase Jeter played on very successful teams with multiple All Americans and supplemented by some very capable vets. Although I certainly don't consider ratings infallible, he was a five star player and you can normally count on a rating that high indicating the necessary talent level. Finally, he is a big man and they often develop a little more slowly.

I never said that there is no need to watch a player. I just doubt that you watched Willis as much as you're pretending that you did so I don't think what was likely a few short glimpses means as much as composite numbers over a two year career.

As bad as Vandy's record was, they still had three very good guards that would be great on the Gophers. Riley LaChance, Matthew Fisher-Davis, and freshman Saban Lee. With both Fisher-Davis and LaChance being seniors. I watched about 5 or 6 games in the regular season, and then you can go to youtube and watch full NCAA basketball games. Crazy how technology works. Willis is definitely no throw away player, and with the incoming freshman class Vandy has coming, there was really no other option. He choose to go and play with a former teammate, which comfortability and style of play can make a huge difference with a player.

Like with Jeter, Willis was still surrounded by capable vets. You don't need to be a 5 star or an All American to be a good basketball player. Even with a bad team you can still have a position group that is strong, so regardless of the team someone comes from you still have to watch them to see for yourself. Looking at a players shooting mechanics and movement on the court is more important than stats, because they are going to a different city with different coaches, teammates, and style.

You are not going...

As bad as Vandy's record was, they still had three very good guards that would be great on the Gophers. Riley LaChance, Matthew Fisher-Davis, and freshman Saban Lee. With both Fisher-Davis and LaChance being seniors. I watched about 5 or 6 games in the regular season, and then you can go to youtube and watch full NCAA basketball games. Crazy how technology works. Willis is definitely no throw away player, and with the incoming freshman class Vandy has coming, there was really no other option. He choose to go and play with a former teammate, which comfortability and style of play can make a huge difference with a player.

Like with Jeter, Willis was still surrounded by capable vets. You don't need to be a 5 star or an All American to be a good basketball player. Even with a bad team you can still have a position group that is strong, so regardless of the team someone comes from you still have to watch them to see for yourself. Looking at a players shooting mechanics and movement on the court is more important than stats, because they are going to a different city with different coaches, teammates, and style.

to bring is 6 newcomers (3 signees and 3 open) and have them all get their feet wet. We have 5 guys who absolutely will play a lot (Wash, MCB, Coffey, Murph and Curry) then Hurt and the 3 locals. We had to take at least one transfer. Now a graduate transfer and maybe JC guard to fill out.

Top Bottom