Pioneer Press: Lindsay Whalen has perfect role model in Dawn Staley

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Before Lindsay Whalen was introduced last Friday as the Gophers’ new women’s basketball, she already had contacted Dawn Staley.

If there’s a blueprint for the Lynx point guard to follow as she juggles playing in the WNBA this summer and coaching at her alma mater in the fall, it’s Staley, who played point guard for the Charlotte Sting while coaching the Temple Owls from 2000-06.

“I’ve reached out to her and we’re going to talk,” Whalen said from the podium at Williams Arena last week. “Some of the things she did while she was playing and coaching will definitely be things I’ll try to follow and I’ll try to do.”

Staley hung up her jersey after 2006 and moved on to South Carolina in 2008, where she won the 2017 NCAA national championship. A year ago, she was named head coach of the USA women’s basketball team through 2020.

Staley, who led the Owls to four NCAA tournament appearances in six seasons, said she told Whalen, 35, that she needs also play for the Lynx for as long as she can.

“Because there is a great satisfaction to being on both sides of the (ball),” Staley said on a conference call Tuesday. “Mentally, it’s a little bit different, so it’s a breath of fresh air to be able for her to play for the next four or five months and get into the swing of things of coaching a college basketball team.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/04/...whalen-has-perfect-role-model-in-dawn-staley/

Go Gophers!!

Every coach has made errors, or wish they had done something differently. Hopefully Staley will be straightforward to Whalen as to what she wishes she had done differently. Playing professional basketball and coaching at the same time is not exactly common. Other than a few in Woman's basketball, where else have we seen this?

Every coach has made errors, or wish they had done something differently. Hopefully Staley will be straightforward to Whalen as to what she wishes she had done differently. Playing professional basketball and coaching at the same time is not exactly common. Other than a few in Woman's basketball, where else have we seen this?

Player-coaches used to be quite common in MLB, the NBA, and the NFL. Several Basketball Hall of Famers were player-coaches, including Bill Russell, Dave DeBusschere, Bob Cousy, Red Holzman, Dick McGuire, Dolph Schayes, Bob Pettit, and Lenny Wilkens (the only man to be inducted as both a player and a coach).

Player-coaches used to be quite common in MLB, the NBA, and the NFL. Several Basketball Hall of Famers were player-coaches, including Bill Russell, Dave DeBusschere, Bob Cousy, Red Holzman, Dick McGuire, Dolph Schayes, Bob Pettit, and Lenny Wilkens (the only man to be inducted as both a player and a coach).

I stand corrected.

Top Bottom