Great read: Nothing can stop Minnesota's Casey O'Brien from playing college football

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Yahoo:

Casey O’Brien went to the Masonic Children’s Hospital on Monday. He wore his maroon Minnesota Gophers polo, like all of his teammates. The players were there to brighten up the days of some kids with cancer.

“It was awesome,” he says.

O’Brien actually got recognized as he walked through the halls. That happens to some of the Gophers football players, but Casey has never played in a game. No, he got recognized because he’s been there before.

He’s been there more than 200 times.

“Scans are on the first floor,” he explains. “You meet with your oncologist on the ninth. Blood tests are also on nine, where they check your platelets. If you’re there overnight, you’re on the fifth floor. I can probably draw the whole hospital.”

O’Brien knows this because he’s beaten cancer three times in five years. And he’s trying to defeat it again now.

The 19-year-old played two snaps in the Minnesota spring game last week and those should be two of the top plays of the entire season, even though there will be no viral highlights of a backup holder. It’s not often that a cancer patient with a full knee replacement and rods in his legs gets onto the field during a Division I football scrimmage.

O’Brien visited the kids at Masonic Children’s Hospital on Monday to tell them how inspiring they are. He’s pretty inspiring too.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/noth...all-not-even-four-bouts-cancer-003034890.html

Go Gophers!!

Good for him. That has to be rough for him and his family.

Dan O'Brien was one of the great men of Gopher football 2008-15. His kid is a reflection of his class and character.

"He's been there more than 200 times." Damn.

Sad, hopeful and inspiring; all at the same time.

Great kid, great story.

Great Kid. Proud to be a Gopher fan after reading that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom