ESPN: Mechelle Voepel: Whalen and Thompson Lead Wave of Coaching Hires

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-...emale-coaching-hires-women-college-basketball

Two years ago, Tina Thompson and Lindsay Whalen were part of the WNBA's "20@20," a list of the best players of the league's first two decades. This fall, they'll both be on the sidelines coaching college programs in the ACC and Big Ten.

Thompson taking over at Virginia and Whalen at her alma mater, Minnesota, are the two most intriguing hirings thus far in the annual coaches' carousel. The job market is most active each spring, typically with at least some domino effect as an opening filled at one school often creates another vacancy somewhere else...

...To have anything resembling Staley's success would make Thompson and Whalen home run hires. But nothing about that will be easy.

Recruiting is extremely time- and energy-consuming, players are more tightly tethered to their parents than ever, and transferring has become commonplace. In short, it's not just about getting the best players to want to come to your school, it's about the continued work to get them to stay there. And improve.

Thompson knows this first-hand after three seasons as an assistant at Texas under Karen Aston. It's still a big move to becoming a head coach, but Thompson has experienced the ins and outs of how a college staff works...

...Whalen and Thompson getting these opportunities is gratifying to the WNBA and the players' union. A list compiled by the WNBAPA has 38 current or former WNBA players who have moved into the coaching ranks at the pro, college or high school levels. Unlike the NBA and its stars, whose influence is ubiquitous in all levels of basketball, the WNBA is still selling itself and its influence. Current or former WNBA players getting headlines in the college game as coaches can help that.

But there are no guarantees for success for Thompson or Whalen. Former WNBA player and coach Stephanie White has had an uphill battle so far at Vanderbilt, where's she's 21-40 after two seasons. Another former WNBA player and coach, Suzie McConnell-Serio was fired this month after going 67-87 in five seasons at Pittsburgh.

I am still in the camp of loving this hire. That being said there are no guarantees.

I am still in the camp of loving this hire. That being said there are no guarantees.

I am with you. Though the fact that a couple of the people whose views I really respect here have real doubts is a bit disquieting. But figure it's worth the gamble of Lindsay still playing and having no coaching experience. Not like it's been a successful and entertaining program to follow now for a long time although last season was. However, I'm still astounded Stollings was pursued by Texas Tech and got that big raise in salary.

Top Bottom