Heather Fleck Responds to Reusse's Negativity

So is Donald Trump being bullied by the media? If his wife came out telling CNN to lay off would we get "good for her" posts. Sorry folks, some public jobs come with the fact that you will be ripped on publicly. To say Pat is bullying PJ is one of the most ridiculous claims I have seen on here in years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trump has been battling the media from the point of the primaries in 2016. He essentially went after the media unprovoked.
That has been on-going. It's not a fair comparison.

PJ and Heather have done nothing but take the high road on Reusse since they landed here. Now at the first instance of them speaking up by confronting their nemesis, people want to criticize them for letting it bother them.

Much of what Reusse attacks PJ on is personal. Calling him Phil instead of PJ which is PJ's preference. Going after PJ's optimism head on. Going against PJ's "salesmanship". Everything Pat is criticizing is a hatred for what PJ actually is. Not about decisions he's making or his approach to hiring coaches, fielding a team, etc.

It's similar to if a sports writer continued to write article about Tracey Claeys and what his physical appearance was. You're fighting at a personal level instead of a professional one.
Why do we not equate someones attitude and mental approach, mental health, as items that are personal, but someone's physical attributes are?

I think pretty much everyone here knew that from day 1 PJ was hired that Reusse would thoroughly enjoy having him as Gopher football coach. I am not a Reusse fan and can't stand the constant negativity, but people need to just ignore him until he goes away. And PJ - if you want to keep Reusse quiet - just win.

Here's the thing. I appreciate negativity when warranted. I appreciate people's ability to deconstruct why the Wild can't win playoff games year after year, or why the Vikings come up short in a given year.

Ripping on whoever is the current Gopher Football head coach is not a brave contrarian view.

"I boldly predict the Gopher Football Team won't be successful with their new head coach".
You could say that at anytime over the last 50 years and you never would have been wrong.

I think Phat Pat has some talent as a teller of tales, but as a human being, he was poisoned by SOucheray a long time ago into being a negative slime ball. GOOD FOR HEATHER for calling him out. What a prick to write what he did. Souch is a lient denier & as dumb as a post. I think Viking playrs gave him crap and he has held a grudge ever since. His stjupid garage logic crap has flallen to the stupidityu level of the Rookie, who is as dumb as Sooch and is his Pence. Reusse, it's time to retire, put on a bib and eat your words along with your old man's rabbit stew.

Wow "Pat 2" in the house. What a piece of work you are.

As far as the "Reusse hates the U" routine -

Reusse has written many very complimentary columns about Gopher volleyball. On the radio, he's called it the best show in town. He has also been complimentary about the softball program.

I've been reading Reusse's stuff for over 40 years. He has been consistent from day 1. He goes after fat cats - rich owners who get public subsidies for stadiums - GM's and front office types who can't or won't give a straight answer to a question - and anyone he deems to be a BS artist. He thinks Fleck is a BS artist.

That is called an opinion. You are free to agree or disagree. But Pat Reusse - just like anyone else, has a right to have his or her own opinion.

And the tweet that kicked this whole thing off - Fleck is supposed to be a great motivator. The Wild are losing - they show a Fleck motivational video - and they go on to lose the game. There is some irony there - unless you believe a college football coach is above criticism.

Bottom line - no matter how angry the coach's wife may be - getting into a public spat with a writer is a no-win situation for her. It's a fight she can't win.

In the end, PJ Fleck will be judged by wins and losses. His players can visit children's hospitals every day of the week and twice on Sunday - but if the Gophers don't win enough games, Fleck will not be the Coach of the Gophers. That is the reality of D1 sports.

Give most fans a choice between a humanitarian who wins 5 games, and a total a-hole who wins 10 games, and they'll take the a-hole. Just win, Baby.

Reusse only compliments auxiliary Minnesota sports. Wouldn’t be caught dead complimenting basketball or football

I don’t say this often but this thread is something. Was Reusse in any way attacking PJ’s charity work, outreach, or character? Reusse made PJ the butt of an analogy of sporting failure after the way the team finished out the season last year. Is criticism of coaches new? Not in my lifetime.

Maybe there has been a lot more to it (personal attacks) but I don’t follow Reusse’s twit feed, I don’t listen to sports radio, and I only read the Reusse articles posted here. I’ve read far worse character attacking trash from the likes of Shipley and a few others at the ST and the PP, and those involved players, not 40 year old grown men earning millions.

It’s been a full court press of personal jabs since the day he arrived. Like a weirdly large number.

Reusse only compliments auxiliary Minnesota sports. Wouldn’t be caught dead complimenting basketball or football

So what? Why is he required to be positive about anything? If you don't like him, don't read him. Pretty simple, really.

Constructive criticism is warranted about the football program or Gopher Sports in general, but not personal attacks on the coach (or even players by some sports talking heads) and doing it repeatedly.

Reusse is one cocky personality who poisions the atmosphere with his negativity. I get sick sometimes when I read his vitriol. That is why I don't read them anymore.

In a battle between a grumpy old man that hates the Gophers and the most promising coach we’ve maybe ever had, Spoofin is on team grumpy old man.

Spoofin could be Patrick for all we know. They both trot out the same old schtick over and over again.
I thought Pat’s response was interesting: “Balance”. Does that mean he is trying to bring balance or he thinks PJ needs balance?
I had a back and forth with Pat recently on Twitter about How the Vikings should be playing outdoors like the Gophers. He knows he can get some likes for being negative about Gopher football because there are enough fans of other college teams in this market.

C'mon man, you're better than this. Fleck treats everyone with dignity and respect. He treats Sid Hartman with respect while everyone in MN sports seems to be laughing at him. Heather has been listening to Reusse's bull**** for over a year and I have no problem if she wants to call him out for being a jerk, which he is. My guess is that he won't back down and this further escalates.

That fact is, Reusse could be part of the solution but he has always been part of the problem. He could write some flattering articles and possibly help get kids interested in U of M sports, but instead he goes out of his way to make U of M sports his punchline, every time.

Kids today don't even know what a newspaper is, nor do they know what the online electronic version of it is. Twitter....different story.

Reusse is a turd but Heather Fleck looks silly for responding to him.

Her husband is a very well paid football coach. He chose to enter that spotlight. Furthermore, the rip was directly on his football coaching ability/success (it wasn't personal, it wasn't about some health issue (see Souhan), it was about football). Frankly, it comes with the job. Heather Fleck should look around her nice home and understand that having an old, fat, disgruntled writer poking fun at your husband's lack of success comes with the job.

As far as online bulling? GTFO. Just stop. You are the reason why people think that any discussion of bullying is silly.

In looking at this as just one tweet, the only thing I find wrong with it is the use of Phil. Reusse compares the end of the Gopher season, in which they ended up getting shut out in the last two games, to the end of Game 4 where the Wild get shut out after PJ is shown on the video board to ramp up the crowd. The video didn't inspire the crowd, nor the Wild, just like PJ didn't inspire his team at the end of the season. As a one time tweet it is kind of fitting in the context of it all.

I don't follow Ruesse, so don't know how often he goes after PJ. From what others are saying he does it often, which isn't cool, especially during the off season. If Ruesse wants to rip PJ during the season for his coaching, how the team plays or what PJ says that should be ok. Ruesse is paid for opinions and mostly his are negative, while PJ is paid to win games. Constantly going after PJ all year long is wrong.

Why are the Wild using a PJ video to get the crowd pumped up? Why not a Wild player, Bruce B, Chuck F or the owner? Do the Wild also have videos to fire up the crowd that are from Cheryl Reeve, Thibs, Mike Zimmer, Adrian Heath, Paul Molitor, Richard Pitino, etc. If PJ is wanting to be the face of all MN sports, then he should expect quite a bit of criticism, especially when his team did not perform well.

Trump has been battling the media from the point of the primaries in 2016. He essentially went after the media unprovoked.
That has been on-going. It's not a fair comparison.

PJ and Heather have done nothing but take the high road on Reusse since they landed here. Now at the first instance of them speaking up by confronting their nemesis, people want to criticize them for letting it bother them.

Much of what Reusse attacks PJ on is personal. Calling him Phil instead of PJ which is PJ's preference. Going after PJ's optimism head on. Going against PJ's "salesmanship". Everything Pat is criticizing is a hatred for what PJ actually is. Not about decisions he's making or his approach to hiring coaches, fielding a team, etc.

It's similar to if a sports writer continued to write article about Tracey Claeys and what his physical appearance was. You're fighting at a personal level instead of a professional one.
Why do we not equate someones attitude and mental approach, mental health, as items that are personal, but someone's physical attributes are?

We don't because physical appearance has absolutely nothing to do with coaching. We are told to like PJ, but people like you, because of his attitude, mental approach, etc. We are told, by you, that his salesman ship and his approach to everything makes him the most promising coach that U has ever had. It's absolutely part of the debate with Fleck (do you like Fleckisms or do you not).

I've never heard anyone say something like "You should really like Tracy Claeys, he has the perfect physique for coaching success". It's literally a non-factor besides by many of the people who wanted him fired. They brought it up all of the time, but no one said it was bullying. . . lol (the thought of bullying your college football coach).

This is an honest question, were you a Gopher fan before Fleck?

Reusse used to call Jerry Kill "Country Jer" as a reference to his "aw shucks" folksy demeanor. It wasn't complimentary.
Reusse used to rip on Brew endlessly.

I suppose you're in favor of an online petition outlawing references to chili being hot on Gopherhole? That really seems like a rip on Brew's attitude and mental approach, and you seem to be quite the White Knight in ridding the online forums of all of this bullying of college football coaches.

Constructive criticism is warranted about the football program or Gopher Sports in general, but not personal attacks on the coach (or even players by some sports talking heads) and doing it repeatedly.

Reusse is one cocky personality who poisions the atmosphere with his negativity. I get sick sometimes when I read his vitriol. That is why I don't read them anymore.

Without question he has become far more cantankerous since he quit drinking. Alcohol use to give him his kicks, now his negativity towards the Gophers has taken its place. He obviously isn’t drawing a great/medium salary as he really offers nothing to the Star Tribune. Soon he will be riding off into the sunset and never be missed. His tombstone should read “I tried, I failed”.

Legitimate criticism by members of the sports media of the performance of coaches and athletes is not bullying. But such criticism can become bullying when it expands into 24/7 ridicule of anything a coach or athlete does even in their personal lives. I now agree that Reusse crossed the line for a professional sports journalist when he went after Fleck's tweet about the Wild. There is zero doubt that Fleck can take it but he also has a family. It has to be very hard on his wife and children to see their husband and father constantly ridiculed by prominent members of the local sports media.

You think Fleck's kids follow Reusse on Twitter? JK

He is a sports writer, it's going to be 24/7. We want the media to care about the U 24/7-365. He didn't attack him personally, it's fair game (IMO).

Without question he has become far more cantankerous since he quit drinking. Alcohol use to give him his kicks, now his negativity towards the Gophers has taken its place. He obviously isn’t drawing a great/medium salary as he really offers nothing to the Star Tribune. Soon he will be riding off into the sunset and never be missed. His tombstone should read “I tried, I failed”.

Bully! #Fatlivesmatter

Legitimate criticism by members of the sports media of the performance of coaches and athletes is not bullying. But such criticism can become bullying when it expands into 24/7 ridicule of anything a coach or athlete does; even in their personal lives. I now agree that Reusse crossed the line for a professional sports journalist when he went after Fleck's tweet about the Wild. There is zero doubt that Fleck can take it but he also has a family. It has to be very hard on his wife and children to see their husband and father constantly ridiculed by prominent members of the local sports media. It is not only Reusse who has been doing it to Fleck. Not by a long shot.

He is a sports writer, it's going to be 24/7. We want the media to care about the U 24/7-365. He didn't attack him personally, it's fair game (IMO).

If you don't think Fleck's kids hear from their schoolmates about what local sports writers are saying and writing about their dad you are clueless. I listen to Reusse on KSTP all the time. Believe me when I say Reusse's rants about Fleck aren't limited to his won/loss record. They are just as much about who Fleck is as a person as they are about his coaching ability.

Reusse is simply calling it how he sees it. He thinks Fleck is nothing but a blowhard and has said that on air several times. Until PJ wins on a consistent basis Reusse will continue to point to things that bolster his point of view so it's best to let it go and hope PJ proves him wrong. Heather and the Flecksters here need to have thicker skin than that because as long as PJ is who he is the criticisms won't stop until he proves it.

Reusse simply summed it up in a one word response to Heather Fleck's tweet. "Balance." It's a game, shtick, to him. He loves to troll. It's that simple.

This isn’t normal behavior from a sports media member in a major city. In most places this behavior would get him ran out of town, but here we pass it off as a sassy old man jokin around on the Internet.

Good for Heather. We don’t have to sit here and let people be d*ckheads.

Reusse is simply calling it how he sees it. He thinks Fleck is nothing but a blowhard and has said that on air several times. Until PJ wins on a consistent basis Reusse will continue to point to things that bolster his point of view so it's best to let it go and hope PJ proves him wrong. Heather and the Flecksters here need to have thicker skin than that because as long as PJ is who he is the criticisms won't stop until he proves it.

And Heather is calling it how she sees it; that Reusse is a flat out negative person who thinks he's funny because "I enjoy trolling fans." He needs to grow up.

People enjoy throwing their noses in the air when Fleck talks about changing the culture. Changing the culture just isn't about the players.

Reusse simply summed it up in a one word response to Heather Fleck's tweet. "Balance." It's a game, shtick, to him. He loves to troll. It's that simple.

Then he needs to grow up...

My criticism is that it makes him look like an immature child. He could be a good writer, but he chooses to go this route instead because some people like it for some reason. I don't necessarily get mad when I see him post stuff like this, it just makes me wonder what is wrong with him to be so miserable all the time. Some people automatically assume Heather was screaming with rage or crying when she typed that. It's just as likely a roll of the eyes and "what the f is wrong with this guy?" type of response. Many people have asked the same thing.

“Someone is abusing you? Who cares? Get over it, you p****.”

That’s essentially what you’re saying. Again, it’s clearly affecting Heather emotionally. She literally put it in writing. You’re excusing inappropriate behavior because Fleck is famous even though he and his family are impacted by others in the same way everyone else is.

Your response is a part of the problem. We don’t respect mental health in our society. Instead of supporting someone who puts their pain out there, you attack them instead. Incredibly disappointing.

Yes, pretty much what I’m saying for PJ. Pain? Like I said, if PJ doesn’t want criticism he shouldn’t be a public figure, and particularly in athletics. Middle schools are hiring.

As far as mental health -real- bullying is a major problem. Many children are not psychologically equipped to deal with constant social media criticism and isolation and the suicide rate is way up. Hot take: It’s so bad I’m in favor of a total ban on smartphones until age 21 (and I’d like the ones checking their twitter to be off the roads - far scarier than “guns”) These type of psychologically fragile people generally self-select to less stressful positions as adults but every person has their limit. Real bullying about appearance, traits, family, or false or alleged accusations etc isn’t ok.

Chiding a successful, self-confident multimillionaire for On FIELD performance does not rise to bullying IMO.

It's sad some people in the media feel that it is their job to treat other people poorly as a game / for profit.

Her husband is a very well paid football coach. He chose to enter that spotlight. Furthermore, the rip was directly on his football coaching ability/success (it wasn't personal, it wasn't about some health issue (see Souhan), it was about football). Frankly, it comes with the job. Heather Fleck should look around her nice home and understand that having an old, fat, disgruntled writer poking fun at your husband's lack of success comes with the job.

As far as online bulling? GTFO. Just stop. You are the reason why people think that any discussion of bullying is silly.

I wish GH had an upvote option

It will be interesting to revisit this thread years from now if PJ doesn’t succeed here. Prior coaches are never criticized, er mercilessly “bullied”, for their records or schtick. :rolleyes:

Being in the spotlight doesn't automatically justify someone's behavior when it comes to things directed at PJ... just like your point about bullying.

And Heather is calling it how she sees it; that Reusse is a flat out negative person who thinks he's funny because "I enjoy trolling fans." He needs to grow up.

People enjoy throwing their noses in the air when Fleck talks about changing the culture. Changing the culture just isn't about the players.

This is exactly correct. PJ called out the media at his first press conference. Reusse needs thicker skin and a new outlook on life. He isn't adding anything of worth to the human race.

Top Bottom