STrib; Roysland Hired as Assistant Coach

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/lindsay-...ammate-kelly-roysland-as-assistant/480260383/

Lindsay Whalen is closing in on hiring her first assistant: former Gophers teammate, and current Macalester head coach, Kelly Roysland.

The move could be made official as soon as today, multiple sources told the Star Tribune. Final steps of the hiring process are taking place this morning. Whalen reportedly is closing in on a second assistant coach as well.

Where’s that former D1 head coach? Not going to happen?

http://athletics.macalester.edu/new...resigns-to-become-assistant-at-minnesota.aspx

Roysland officially resigns from Macalester:

Macalester College Director of Athletics Kim Chandler has announced that head women's basketball coach Kelly Roysland is leaving Macalester to become an assistant coach at the University of Minnesota. Roysland's resignation is effective immediately.

"I want to thank Kim Chandler and the college for the opportunity to lead the women's basketball program these past four years," Roysland said. "My coaching experience at Mac is one I will always cherish because of the talented women I had the privilege to coach and interact with on a day-to-day basis. While the decision to leave was hard, I look forward to this new opportunity and always being a Macalester fan."

Roysland coached the Scots for four seasons following a four-year stint as an assistant at Minnesota under former coach Pam Borton. She returns to her alma mater as an assistant to former teammate Lindsay Whalen, who was named the Gophers' new head coach last week.

"Kelly made a huge impact with our women's basketball program and has been a strong member of the Macalester community," Chandler said. "We're certainly disappointed to see her leave Mac, but we remain grateful for her work and supportive of her next steps with the University of Minnesota women's basketball program."

I like the Minnesotan star connections. I am hopeful she will add a skilled recruiter.

Top Bottom