Gophers to play FCS school Tennessee Tech in 2020

In what season do we play two home games against FCS teams? I don't see that anywhere on the future schedules.

Sorry if I was unclear. I was trying to compare a home and home with a power 5 team over two years vs one fcs game each in those same two years.

A lot of angst (again) about making sure Minnesota is locked into 7 home games that fit the football schedule and annual calendar. This isn't EA NCAA 2019. I have no problem with this game. If you are giving up your season tickets because of the schedule, you should stop coming to the games--and please do not return. Minnesota football does not need you.

I go to the games to see Minnesota play football. Weird concept.

It is amazing to me that there are people out there who follow college football enough to read and post on a fan site like this, but are still surprised that this game was announced as an FCS opponent.

When B1G teams play 5 conference road games they play one FCS home game. It’s math. This is just how it works. The conference avoided it for a few years by moving around buy-in games. But it was unsustainable long-term. And the popularity of the SEC and their cupcake FCS-schedules was proof the conference was getting no credit for it anyway.

A lot of angst (again) about making sure Minnesota is locked into 7 home games that fit the football schedule and annual calendar. This isn't EA NCAA 2019. I have no problem with this game. If you are giving up your season tickets because of the schedule, you should stop coming to the games--and please do not return. Minnesota football does not need you.

You are entitled to your opinion, but if you don't think a schedule like this year has some influence on season ticket holders you are crazy. This year's schedule is so bad that I couldn't justify the $1800 plus the additional funds it costs me to get to games. I will still get to a game or two from Houston, TX, but I can't justify the cost of tickets this year for that home schedule.

You are entitled to your opinion, but if you don't think a schedule like this year has some influence on season ticket holders you are crazy. This year's schedule is so bad that I couldn't justify the $1800 plus the additional funds it costs me to get to games. I will still get to a game or two from Houston, TX, but I can't justify the cost of tickets this year for that home schedule.

Well then, highwayman doesn't want you there at all - or ever again. You are one of those "fans". I'm sure there is a long list of real fans waiting to take your seat at TCF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When B1G teams play 5 conference road games they play one FCS home game. It’s math. This is just how it works.

I just double-checked. 5 and 1 are indeed both numbers and as you stated used in math. Hard to be disappointed in scheduling TT now.

It's such a weird concept that nearly every sports team (pro and college) has implemented demand-based pricing, including the Gophers. Apparently the opponent matters to a lot of people. Not everyone has wads of disposable cash as you seem to.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Well then, highwayman doesn't want you there at all - or ever again. You are one of those "fans". I'm sure there is a long list of real fans waiting to take your seat at TCF.

The problem with this schedule is you can't sell your tickets and recoup some of your investment. This schedule is absolutely atrocious.

The problem with this schedule is you can't sell your tickets and recoup some of your investment. This schedule is absolutely atrocious.

And the real slap in the face will be that the U will end up discounting single game seats so much that season ticket holders will be punished for buying in bulk rather than a la carte

Yeah, I am sure that Alabama fans are refusing to buy their season tickets for 2019 because they play Western Carolina Catamounts. Or maybe 2018 when Alabama plays the Citadel Bulldogs, I would most definitely refuse to get those season tickets. Oh, And no way would I pay for season tickets for 2020 when Alabama plays Georgia State Panthers and Kent State.
Guys, all schools schedule weak teams, it is part of the system. Many fan bases are excited about watching their team play and do not need a marquee opponent to get them to go to the game. It is comical that some fans feel cheated unless theU fills their 3 non-conference games with USC, Texas, Alabama, Auburn, Oklahoma, etc. our conference schedule is full of marquee teams.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, I am sure that Alabama fans are refusing to buy their season tickets for 2019 because they play Western Carolina Catamounts. Or maybe 2018 when Alabama plays the Citadel Bulldogs, I would most definitely refuse to get those season tickets. Oh, And no way would I pay for season tickets for 2020 when Alabama plays Georgia State Panthers and Kent State.
Guys, all schools schedule weak teams, it is part of the system. <b>Many fan bases are excited about watching their team play and do not need a marquee opponent to get them to go to the game. </b>It is comical that some fans feel cheated unless theU fills their 3 non-conference games with USC, Texas, Alabama, Auburn, Oklahoma, etc. our conference schedule is full of marquee teams.

Do you not realize the U does not have one of those fan bases? Do you not realize that is the point?

Here is a tip for you: We don't have a season ticket waiting list. Take a minute to think about what that does to your precious AL comparison.

I'm not sure that buying season tickets and looking at them as an investment is a good idea. I have season tickets for UNLV football (must be 200 of us..). When I click that button to buy the tickets I just say, "there goes X% of my disposable income." I buy the tickets because I enjoy going to the games and supporting UNLV football, as hard as that is.

Do you not realize the U does not have one of those fan bases? Do you not realize that is the point?

Here is a tip for you: We don't have a season ticket waiting list. Take a minute to think about what that does to your precious AL comparison.

Of course we don’t have the same fan base as Alabama, but the point is that people are holding the U up to unrealistic expectations on the non conference schedule that not even Alabama meets.

Of course we don’t have the same fan base as Alabama, but the point is that people are holding the U up to unrealistic expectations on the non conference schedule that not even Alabama meets.

I don't think it is unrealistic to want the Gophers to schedule FBS schools in the OoC games.

For me it's the conference schedule that sucks so bad, I don't even care about the non conference . Iowa is the only team of any interest for me this year. I may renew next year, but the best I can do is make a game, maybe two and coming from Houston, it's not cheap.

Guys, all schools schedule weak teams, it is part of the system. Many fan bases are excited about watching their team play and do not need a marquee opponent to get them to go to the game. It is comical that some fans feel cheated unless theU fills their 3 non-conference games with USC, Texas, Alabama, Auburn, Oklahoma, etc. our conference schedule is full of marquee teams.

Alabama is going to have some great conference games at home every year, can't say the same for the Gophers this year. Pathetic schedule!

I just double-checked. 5 and 1 are indeed both numbers and as you stated used in math. Hard to be disappointed in scheduling TT now.

Great, So then just quit trying so desperately to be cute and just answer the question: what FCS team would you rather they scheduled?

You proved to be pretty dense in the last year, but you can’t actually be stupid enough to think this was going to be a game against USC.

I’m really concerned with the bullying in this thread.

Personally, I’d like to see more conference games - why not ten conference games and two non conference. With the expansion of the league it’s really unfortunate we get a shot at Michigan or OSU or PSU only once ever every two or three years. It would also help to settle which team is best...larger sample size.

I suppose the downside would be a greater chance of a conference darling stumbling and losing out on a CFP opportunity. Of course that isn’t materially worse than getting in and getting spanked.

As far as the Alabama thing:

Alabama - buy season tickets, and you get to watch a team that has a good chance of contending for a National Title.

Minnesota - buy season tickets and you get to watch a team that did not go to a bowl game last year.

I will put this as bluntly as I can.

If you're an Alabama fan, you're going to the games to watch Alabama, regardless of the opponent.

If you're a Gopher fan - I would say 25 to 30,000 people will go to every home game regardless of the opponent. The rest of the people in attendance are basing their decision on the opponent and the weather. that is why the Gophers struggle to fill a 50,000 seat stadium.

As far as the Alabama thing:

Alabama - buy season tickets, and you get to watch a team that has a good chance of contending for a National Title.

Minnesota - buy season tickets and you get to watch a team that did not go to a bowl game last year.

I will put this as bluntly as I can.

If you're an Alabama fan, you're going to the games to watch Alabama, regardless of the opponent.

If you're a Gopher fan - I would say 25 to 30,000 people will go to every home game regardless of the opponent. The rest of the people in attendance are basing their decision on the opponent and the weather. that is why the Gophers struggle to fill a 50,000 seat stadium.

And that's why most people who call themselves "Gopher fans" are not. Minnesotans are the epitome of front-runners. Every team in this town suffers from this malady, none are immune. We forget that the Vikings would have had most game blacked out in most of the Metrodome years if it were not for corporate ticket buy-outs. Since there are no blackouts in college football, the lazy so-called "fan" has nothing to lose.

And that's why most people who call themselves "Gopher fans" are not. Minnesotans are the epitome of front-runners. Every team in this town suffers from this malady, none are immune. We forget that the Vikings would have had most game blacked out in most of the Metrodome years if it were not for corporate ticket buy-outs. Since there are no blackouts in college football, the lazy so-called "fan" has nothing to lose.

Well, that’s kind of how markets work and markets speak.

There is nothing preventing lower prices in down times, higher prices in good times, and market pressures pushing management to, you know, work harder and smarter to put out a good product in terms of not only the team but the experience: parking, tailgating, entertainment, WiFi.

Has the management ballyhooed fan committee put up any good suggestions that will be implemented? Does Coyle have a vision??

Correct! Our “fan base” is so fickle. They want the Gophers to win 10 games every year, but they don’t want us to play any chumps even though every other school does. They will only attend games if the opponents worth of going to see. They want us to recruit 4* and 5* players, but then they can’t understand why players would choose us over ND, OSU, any SEC school, etc... the self-deprecating nature of our fans and the press (PR, etc) are a part of the problem. It sure is a part of the reason that we lose the local big name talent. Why would you go to a school if none of the “fans” or local people believe it their ability to compete? Now we get a coach that believes in that he can get the program to compete at the highest level and what do our “fans” do? Mock and ridicule him just because he doesn’t do it exactly the way they expect. Our fan base frustrates me, I can’t imagine what it is like for the coaches and their families.

I’m really concerned with the bullying in this thread.

Personally, I’d like to see more conference games - why not ten conference games and two non conference. With the expansion of the league it’s really unfortunate we get a shot at Michigan or OSU or PSU only once ever every two or three years. It would also help to settle which team is best...larger sample size.

I suppose the downside would be a greater chance of a conference darling stumbling and losing out on a CFP opportunity. Of course that isn’t materially worse than getting in and getting spanked.

Yes, and I am sure that Alabama feels that their National Championships are tainted because they didn’t get to play all of their cross conference rivals. And I bet the Vikings which they could play NE, Seattle, every year. It is just the nature of the beast, you can’t play everyone every year, you need to take advantage of the schedule and make the most of it.

I’m not sure why you’re arguing against the idea that fans would rather attend (and pay for) a game vs Michigan, PSU, TCU etc than a little known FCS school. Perhaps NDSU would be an exception.

The rest of this “fan” vs fan nonsense is barking at the moon.

I don't think it is unrealistic to want the Gophers to schedule FBS schools in the OoC games.

Would people be more excited if they had scheduled Bowling Green or Charlotte instead?

I’m not sure why you’re arguing against the idea that fans would rather attend (and pay for) a game vs Michigan, PSU, TCU etc than a little known FCS school. Perhaps NDSU would be an exception.

The rest of this “fan” vs fan nonsense is barking at the moon.

I feel like the "fan" vs. fan posters thin that real fans need to do a better job of buying the product. It is the athletics department's job to put out a value proposition that makes people want to buy it. I certainly hope the department doesn't take the approach of "if that's the way you feel, we don't need you," but when I look at our attendance numbers, maybe that is the way they approach things.

Perhaps they need to give some sort of special recognition to season ticket holders to wear on game days, such as a gold lanyard with their name tag, or card with STH printed in bold, because what some seem to want is recognition of their sacrifice and charity. Similar to honors cords at graduation, make them distinct from “fans”.

I feel like the "fan" vs. fan posters thin that real fans need to do a better job of buying the product. It is the athletics department's job to put out a value proposition that makes people want to buy it. I certainly hope the department doesn't take the approach of "if that's the way you feel, we don't need you," but when I look at our attendance numbers, maybe that is the way they approach things.

I would take 35000 rabid fans over 50000 casual “fans” any day. Being a fan is a choice. Be in or be out. Don't switch back and forth based on the weather or—heaven help us—who we’re playing.

I would take 35000 rabid fans over 50000 casual “fans” any day. Being a fan is a choice. Be in or be out. Don't switch back and forth based on the weather or—heaven help us—who we’re playing.

I'm in. I've been to more gopher games than there have been home games in the last 12 years (missed one home game when a relative got married out of town, but also attended 2 bowl games and four road conference games during that stretch). I want there to be a full stadium of fans every week. Unfortunately, our decisions with regard to game day experience have stood in the way of making that a reality. We can't just keep discounting everything fans say they want and saying "well, if that's what you care about I don't want you." I know there are lots of competing concerns with the out of conference schedule, but our department has shown a disturbing lack of interest in getting the little things right, like a vibrant tailgating atmosphere, having a functioning scoreboard, and warning the vender that we will be issuing coupons for thousands of free hot dogs.

Perhaps they need to give some sort of special recognition to season ticket holders to wear on game days, such as a gold lanyard with their name tag, or card with STH printed in bold, because what some seem to want is recognition of their sacrifice and charity. Similar to honors cords at graduation, make them distinct from “fans”.

As long as it has your picture to assure you aren't wearing someone else's. The last thing we need is "fans" running around acting like fans.

Top Bottom