Gophers to play FCS school Tennessee Tech in 2020

In case you don't want to click the link here is the article

The Minnesota Golden Gophers have added the Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles to their 2020 football schedule, the school announced on Wednesday.

Minnesota will host Tennessee Tech at TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis on Sep. 12, 2020. The game will be the first-ever meeting between the two schools on the gridiron.

The addition of Tennessee Tech tentatively completes Minnesota’s schedule in 2020. Other non-conference games include home contests against Florida Atlantic (Sept. 3) and BYU (Sept. 26).

In Big Ten action, the Golden Gophers are set to host Iowa, Michigan, Purdue, and Northwestern and travel to Maryland, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan State, and Nebraska.

Tennessee Tech is a member of the Ohio Valley Conference in the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS). The Golden Eagles finished the 2017 season 1-10 overall and 1-7 in conference play.

“When you play these games, you’re trying to get as much exposure as you can for your team,” said Tech head coach Dewayne Alexander. “Our players enjoy playing against FBS schools and competing in the larger venues in front of bigger crowds than normal. Competing against a Power 5 school is an amazing opportunity.”

I instantly thought of the old TV show "Coach" with Craig T Nelson. The school colors and logo are the same.

The only difference is Tennessee Tech is "Golden Eagles" where as Minnesota State was "Screaming Eagles" in the show. Same exact colors and logo.

We Comin'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I instantly thought of the old TV show "Coach" with Craig T Nelson. The school colors and logo are the same.

The only difference is Tennessee Tech is "Golden Eagles" where as Minnesota State was "Screaming Eagles" in the show. Same exact colors and logo.

Hayden, Luther, and Dauber are going through the game film right now.:cool:

With 9 B1G games and BYU, who did you want them to play?

Well, you kind of tell your team what you think of them by who you schedule. What "really" are the expectations? We are supposed to be good in 2020...yes?

The teams who are serious about winning the West take a different approach:
Wisconsin has So. Illinois, Appalachian St. and Notre Dame
Nebraska in 2021 has Northern Illinois, Buffalo and Oklahoma
Iowa has Northern Iowa, Iowa St. and Northern Illinois

I'd say those non conference schedules send a different message about what the expectations "really" are, than adding Tennessee Tech does for us.

Well, you kind of tell your team what you think of them by who you schedule. What "really" are the expectations? We are supposed to be good in 2020...yes?

I'd say those non conference schedules send a different message about what the expectations "really" are, than adding Tennessee Tech does for us.

You’re absolutely right.

Everyone should be in panic mode now about the expectations for the 2020 season with the scheduling of a game against Tennessee Tech.

I hear what you're saying, but aside from ND and Oklahoma (great matchups, to be sure), I see fairly similar competition on those lists to what MN is scheduling: a couple FCS teams, a small conference FBS team, MAC teams, low level P5 team. Again, I see your point, but the vast majority of P5 teams keep it light in the nonconference...it's just the way it is these days, especially with the conference schedules expanding. Wisconsin has been a solid program for 20 years now. Nebraska even longer. Perhaps we wait for MN to win a B1G title before we start demanding top 10 teams on our noncon schedule. We typically play a couple during the conference season anyway...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cdEQmpVIE4A" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe> a

Wisconsin just played Tennessee Tech four year ago. And in 2021 they play an FCS opponent that hasn’t had a winning season for the last four years. Wisconsin’s big non-conference games last year and this year was/is ...BYU. So you really have no point at all.

How is the Iowa schedule much different than the Gophers? If anything, BYU has traditionally been the best team of all of them.

It’s too bad the Gophers won’t schedule one of the midwestern FCS schools to bring in some ticket sales, but if you’re gonna schedule a cupcake it’s better to be one you can 1000% beat.

You’re absolutely right.

Everyone should be in panic mode now about the expectations for the 2020 season with the scheduling of a game against Tennessee Tech.

Shoe, meet other foot. Should be a "quality" win*.

How is the Iowa schedule much different than the Gophers? If anything, BYU has traditionally been the best team of all of them.

Well, Northern Illinois and Iowa St just played in bowl games. BYU was 4 and 9 last year. BYU typically wins games but their overall schedule is pretty weak imo. Steve Young graduated.

Most good Big Ten teams schedule at least one tough non conference opponent. It's a philosophy. We recently have played tougher teams in the non conference. PJ can obviously do it however he wants.

I just don't agree with the choices. You all disagree, that's cool.

Gandhi comes to mind at the moment: First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. :eek:

Well, Northern Illinois and Iowa St just played in bowl games. BYU was 4 and 9 last year. BYU typically wins games but their overall schedule is pretty weak imo. Steve Young graduated.

Most good Big Ten teams schedule at least one tough non conference opponent. It's a philosophy. We recently have played tougher teams in the non conference. PJ can obviously do it however he wants.

Gandhi comes to mind at the moment: First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. :eek:

BYU has been a better football program than the Gophers since Steve Young graduated so I'm not really sure what your point is.

It’s too bad the Gophers won’t schedule one of the midwestern FCS schools to bring in some ticket sales, but if you’re gonna schedule a cupcake it’s better to be one you can 1000% beat.

South Dakota St in 2019 doesn't count?

For several years recently, I believe the B10 told teams not to schedule FCS. They watered adding back after the expanded B10 schedule

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This is one of the comments under the article if you follow the link. Unfortunately, I see his point.:mad:

Dave
April 18, 2018 at 5:36 pm
Minnesota has been irrelevant in football since 1960-so who cares? Along with Illinois-they are the Rutgers of the upper Midwest.

BYU has been a better football program than the Gophers since Steve Young graduated so I'm not really sure what your point is.

Playing an independent schedule hasn't been good for them. They're trending downwards. Lost to UMASS at home last year. 77th ranked recruiting class coming in.

The Iowa schedule you referenced is remarkable similar to our schedule that season.

In fact, you could argue ours is stronger. BYU is traditionally much better than Iowa State. And it's a strong possibility that FAU will be better than NIU.

When the Gophers scheduled BYU, most everyone would have said they were a better program than Iowa St at that point. Unless it's one of the top programs in the country, it's hard to predict where a program will be 4-5 years in the future.

Top Bottom