Gophers to play FCS school Tennessee Tech in 2020

I instantly thought of the old TV show "Coach" with Craig T Nelson. The school colors and logo are the same.

The only difference is Tennessee Tech is "Golden Eagles" where as Minnesota State was "Screaming Eagles" in the show. Same exact colors and logo.

I'm guessing they stole in from the show rather than the reverse.

I would take 35000 rabid fans over 50000 casual “fans” any day. Being a fan is a choice. Be in or be out. Don't switch back and forth based on the weather or—heaven help us—who we’re playing.

Are you suggesting you can't be a fan if you are unable to attend every home game?

The Iowa schedule you referenced is remarkable similar to our schedule that season.

In fact, you could argue ours is stronger. BYU is traditionally much better than Iowa State. And it's a strong possibility that FAU will be better than NIU.

While I think Campbell will be gone from ISU in 2020, he can coach. He won with a walk-on QB last year and beat two top 10 teams. Of course, that was year 2. And Campbell can coach.

Great, So then just quit trying so desperately to be cute and just answer the question: what FCS team would you rather they scheduled?

You proved to be pretty dense in the last year, but you can’t actually be stupid enough to think this was going to be a game against USC.

it could have been a game against an FBS opponent, however. Whatever happened to playing the Sun Belt Conference? "Because everyone else is doing it hasn't worked as an excuse since I was 5. Not sure whey it works now.

it could have been a game against an FBS opponent, however. Whatever happened to playing the Sun Belt Conference? "Because everyone else is doing it hasn't worked as an excuse since I was 5. Not sure whey it works now.

Math, apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's too bad we can't schedule Tennessee Tech as a late October/early November non conference game like the SEC does. Would love to have a BIG opponent to start the year and have a cupcake later on the schedule.
Alabama went bold and scheduled the Citadel for a November game at home...

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Minnesota has 4-5 FCS opponents in their back yard (200-250 mikes) that would bring 10k fans, and would not be considered cupcakes. TT would be a cupcake for these 4-5 FCS teams also. MN chose a really bad team, with zero gate opportunity. Head scratcher IMO.

Minnesota has 4-5 FCS opponents in their back yard (200-250 mikes) that would bring 10k fans, and would not be considered cupcakes. TT would be a cupcake for these 4-5 FCS teams also. MN chose a really bad team, with zero gate opportunity. Head scratcher IMO.

You sold me! I want the Fighting Sioux every year from now on!!!!

The plans to expand TCF to 80K might have to be tabled for a while.

That would certainly make more sense with bringing 10k fans into the stadium. And the Gophers would actually have a team that would compete for 4 quarters.

No, they wouldn't.

The U of MN wants to have it both ways. They want fans to show up. They say they want a "vibrant game-day atmosphere."

But they won't do the things they need to do to make that happen, because they're so afraid that somebody in the neighborhood might complain.

If you want a game-day atmosphere like IA or WI, then come out and tell the neighborhood, and tell the city of Minneapolis that Gopher Game Day is an event, and there are going to be crowds, noise, music, people having fun (and yes, tailgating and (gasp) drinking adult beverages.)

If you want a party, then make it a party - not a junior-high sock hop.

and yes - tell the city of Minneapolis - the U of MN Marching Band is marching down University Avenue, and if you don't like it, tough.

It's called UNIVERSITY Avenue for a reason.

The 2018 schedule will be far worse than 2020 even with Tennessee Tech.
2020 includes visits from Lane Kiffin, Iowa, BYU, and Michigan.

Next year's schedule is abysmal.

The U of MN wants to have it both ways. They want fans to show up. They say they want a "vibrant game-day atmosphere."

But they won't do the things they need to do to make that happen, because they're so afraid that somebody in the neighborhood might complain.

If you want a game-day atmosphere like IA or WI, then come out and tell the neighborhood, and tell the city of Minneapolis that Gopher Game Day is an event, and there are going to be crowds, noise, music, people having fun (and yes, tailgating and (gasp) drinking adult beverages.)

If you want a party, then make it a party - not a junior-high sock hop.

and yes - tell the city of Minneapolis - the U of MN Marching Band is marching down University Avenue, and if you don't like it, tough.

It's called UNIVERSITY Avenue for a reason.

I would love it if this could be accomplished. I think the band would be all for it assuming some scheduling things were worked out. Really, I think if the Athletics department supported it, it could be accomplished, but I'm sure there are other logistical things I'm not thinking about. 11am games would be tough though. Tailgate bands would either have to shorten their time going around the tailgate lots or leave morning practice a bit earlier. Still, My dream route would be the band marching down university, hanging a right by the alumni center and finishing out in mcnamara plaza.

The 2018 schedule will be far worse than 2020 even with Tennessee Tech.
2020 includes visits from Lane Kiffin, Iowa, BYU, and Michigan.

Next year's schedule is abysmal.

I doubt Lane Kiffin will still be at FAU in 2020.

North Carolina announced for a future home and home. Coyle heard all of you loud and clear.

I would love it if this could be accomplished. I think the band would be all for it assuming some scheduling things were worked out. Really, I think if the Athletics department supported it, it could be accomplished, but I'm sure there are other logistical things I'm not thinking about. 11am games would be tough though. Tailgate bands would either have to shorten their time going around the tailgate lots or leave morning practice a bit earlier. Still, My dream route would be the band marching down university, hanging a right by the alumni center and finishing out in mcnamara plaza.

Ex-Director Tim Diehm told me at our trip to Nebby a few years ago that it would never happen. Never. Too many logistics. Grrr.

Yet, tOSU band somehow was able to march from the football complex area to TCF recently. Not sure if they just did it or had permission. I though my sister, who is a Buckeye fan, was going to have a heart attack when she saw "her" band marching into the TCF area.

At the end of last year, TN Tech could have competed with Minnesota. PJ has some work to do.

Tennessee Tech was 1-10 in the OVC.
Minnesota's prep team would beat them.
Get the f*** out of here.

Ex-Director Tim Diehm told me at our trip to Nebby a few years ago that it would never happen. Never. Too many logistics. Grrr.

Yet, tOSU band somehow was able to march from the football complex area to TCF recently. Not sure if they just did it or had permission. I though my sister, who is a Buckeye fan, was going to have a heart attack when she saw "her" band marching into the TCF area.

tOSU band didn't have permission. I'm sure they got in trouble with the city and/or the police department, but when you're only going to be there for one more day, and have the money to pay a fine (if you get fined) you do it anyway.

Top Bottom