Gopher Football Fans Remain Hopeful In 2nd Year Of Fleck

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Bornhoft:

Outlook on the 2018 season

The Gophers went 5-7 overall and 2-7 in the Big Ten in 2017, a disappointing finish after winning 9 regular season games and the Holiday Bowl in 2016. But fans Thursday remained optimistic and want to give Fleck — hired in early 2017 — a few more years to develop the program.

Season ticket holder Bob Kasper says he likes Fleck's energy and believes he can land top players for Minnesota.

Fleck has so far delivered on his promise to bring top recruits to the university. The Gophers' most recent recruiting class is possibly the all-time best in program history, according to 247Sports. The next step is translating recruiting into on-field success.

"I think we start every season optimistic," Gopher fan Willy Wong told Patch. "You start with Big Ten title, and then after our first couple losses, you take it down a little bit," he laughed. "Try to get a bowl game."

Patch also spoke with longtime fan "Lou" who said he's been cheering for the Gophers since 1961, when he first enrolled at the University of Minnesota. That was one year after Gophers won its last national championship. The program hasn't come close to reaching the same heights since.

"I have a chronic lung disease and I think I know what caused it; 14 straight losses to the [Wisconsin] Badgers," Lou joked.

https://patch.com/minnesota/southwestminneapolis/gopher-fans-remain-hopeful-2nd-year-coach-pj-fleck

Go Gophers!!

I was expecting the writer of the article to cite the poll that was done in "How much are you on the PJ Bandwagon compared to last year?" thread.

per Bornhoft:

Outlook on the 2018 season

The Gophers went 5-7 overall and 2-7 in the Big Ten in 2017, a disappointing finish after winning 9 regular season games and the Holiday Bowl in 2016. But fans Thursday remained optimistic and want to give Fleck — hired in early 2017 — a few more years to develop the program.

Season ticket holder Bob Kasper says he likes Fleck's energy and believes he can land top players for Minnesota.

Fleck has so far delivered on his promise to bring top recruits to the university. The Gophers' most recent recruiting class is possibly the all-time best in program history, according to 247Sports. The next step is translating recruiting into on-field success.

"I think we start every season optimistic," Gopher fan Willy Wong told Patch. "You start with Big Ten title, and then after our first couple losses, you take it down a little bit," he laughed. "Try to get a bowl game."

Patch also spoke with longtime fan "Lou" who said he's been cheering for the Gophers since 1961, when he first enrolled at the University of Minnesota. That was one year after Gophers won its last national championship. The program hasn't come close to reaching the same heights since.

"I have a chronic lung disease and I think I know what caused it; 14 straight losses to the [Wisconsin] Badgers," Lou joked.

https://patch.com/minnesota/southwestminneapolis/gopher-fans-remain-hopeful-2nd-year-coach-pj-fleck

Go Gophers!!

Thanks for the link! I know one of the people in the article.

Top Bottom