Why Kansas playing victim in recruiting scandal is rankling many in college hoops

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Forde:

The emailed statement arrived Tuesday night at 7:01 p.m. ET. It said, in part, that “the University of Kansas is named as a victim in a federal indictment.”

The v-word was a trigger for some in college basketball circles.

“Claiming to be the victim?” said a former longtime coach. “That is just total bull----.”

Kansas is claiming victimhood after the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York alleged in an indictment Tuesday that the mother of one prized recruit and guardian of another received tens of thousands of dollars from the shoe company Adidas via an AAU intermediary to secure their commitments to play for the Jayhawks — a flagship Adidas school. The federal indictment does not allege any knowledge of the schemes or participation in them by Kansas — hence the school’s stance that it has been harmed by alleged illegal deals behind its back.

The feds provided support for Kansas’ claim within their indictment, which reads in part: “The alleged objects of the conspiracy remain the same, namely, to defraud the victim-universities by (1) causing them to issue athletic scholarships under the false pretense that the student-athletes receiving this athletic based financial aid were eligible to compete in NCAA athletics, and (2) depriving those universities of their right to control their assets while further exposing them to the risk of tangible economic harm in the form of NCAA fines and penalties, among other things.”

But that stance becomes more debatable within the context of other recent events involving Kansas basketball players. The larger issue for the school and its highly successful head coach, Bill Self, is that this is merely the latest potential “victimization” of a program that has had major potential NCAA compliance problems arise with four different players in the past 38 months.

https://sports.yahoo.com/kansas-pla...nkling-many-college-basketball-204538312.html

Go Gophers!!

per Forde:

The emailed statement arrived Tuesday night at 7:01 p.m. ET. It said, in part, that “the University of Kansas is named as a victim in a federal indictment.”

The v-word was a trigger for some in college basketball circles.

“Claiming to be the victim?” said a former longtime coach. “That is just total bull----.”

Kansas is claiming victimhood after the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York alleged in an indictment Tuesday that the mother of one prized recruit and guardian of another received tens of thousands of dollars from the shoe company Adidas via an AAU intermediary to secure their commitments to play for the Jayhawks — a flagship Adidas school. The federal indictment does not allege any knowledge of the schemes or participation in them by Kansas — hence the school’s stance that it has been harmed by alleged illegal deals behind its back.

The feds provided support for Kansas’ claim within their indictment, which reads in part: “The alleged objects of the conspiracy remain the same, namely, to defraud the victim-universities by (1) causing them to issue athletic scholarships under the false pretense that the student-athletes receiving this athletic based financial aid were eligible to compete in NCAA athletics, and (2) depriving those universities of their right to control their assets while further exposing them to the risk of tangible economic harm in the form of NCAA fines and penalties, among other things.”

But that stance becomes more debatable within the context of other recent events involving Kansas basketball players. The larger issue for the school and its highly successful head coach, Bill Self, is that this is merely the latest potential “victimization” of a program that has had major potential NCAA compliance problems arise with four different players in the past 38 months.

https://sports.yahoo.com/kansas-pla...nkling-many-college-basketball-204538312.html

Go Gophers!!

I remember fondly the days of gh posters holier was than thou crap about how Minnesota needs to do it “the right way “

Blue Blood.

I remember fondly the days of gh posters holier was than thou crap about how Minnesota needs to do it “the right way “

Blue Blood.

Do you remember the consequences for when we did not do it the right way ? Those shoe company titans are not trying to get players to anyone but the highest exposure schools. There are programs that have been wildly successful playing it straight and that is how i want to see it done here.

It's clear to me that different programs are trying innovative approaches to minimize their damage and exposure resulting from their wrongdoing. North Carolina went with defiance and daring the NCAA to bust them, and it worked (although that obviously wouldn't have worked for everyone). Kansas' victimhood parlay: we'll see how that works.

It's clear to me that different programs are trying innovative approaches to minimize their damage and exposure resulting from their wrongdoing. North Carolina went with defiance and daring the NCAA to bust them, and it worked (although that obviously wouldn't have worked for everyone). Kansas' victimhood parlay: we'll see how that works.

Duke's was to sit out Marvin Bagley for quite a few games and say it was injury-related, when in fact it was because their compliance staff was having to check out rumblings about Bagley family doings (new-found wealth?) prior to his enrollment.

Do you remember the consequences for when we did not do it the right way ? Those shoe company titans are not trying to get players to anyone but the highest exposure schools. There are programs that have been wildly successful playing it straight and that is how i want to see it done here.

Define "playing it straight". Oh please tell us who is "playing it straight" now.

I remember the consequences at Minnesota, as the U bared it's soul to net the max penalties. I also clearly remember the methods employed by the "blue bloods" and others that were the supposed bastions of integrity. 180 degree difference enough for you?

Carolina anyone? Will Avery anyone? Need more? MSU? Go Sparty!

Precious how some folks can fool themselves. "playing it straight" indeed.

It is sad how much our society has changed with no one taking responsibility for their actions. The standard reply is to lie, deny and attack the accusations. The objective is to create enough doubt so that your supporters follow along like lemmings. What ever happen to telling the truth and take the consequences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Define "playing it straight". Oh please tell us who is "playing it straight" now.

I remember the consequences at Minnesota, as the U bared it's soul to net the max penalties. I also clearly remember the methods employed by the "blue bloods" and others that were the supposed bastions of integrity. 180 degree difference enough for you?

Carolina anyone? Will Avery anyone? Need more? MSU? Go Sparty!

Precious how some folks can fool themselves. "playing it straight" indeed.

Tell me how the Gophers are cheating now, UW, UVA, Northwestern, Michigan, Stanford and on and on.

Agree with every word that you wrote.

Gotta like Forde not being afraid to go after the big boys. Way too many of the TV talking heads backed off the whole corruption issue this whole season, likely in fear that if they said anything, the coaches would never talk to them again.
Kansas stinks and have been on the edges for years. Myron Pigge anyone?

Hasn't anyone been on Twitter in the last 2-3 years? You work your ass off to find some sort of victimhood these days. It's how you gain credibility. It's the only way to gain credibility. If you're not a victim of some kind, you're a Nazi. There's no in between.

Believe me, the use of the word victim was very throughly planned. It makes me sick.

Gotta like Forde not being afraid to go after the big boys. Way too many of the TV talking heads backed off the whole corruption issue this whole season, likely in fear that if they said anything, the coaches would never talk to them again.
Kansas stinks and have been on the edges for years. Myron Pigge anyone?

I'll give the media some credit when they start going after UNC, Duke, etc. the real high-level perpetrators in all of this. Kansas is just going to be the flyover scapegoat that they can point to and say they were fair to everyone.

I mean, UNC just got away with decades of sham classes at an accredited University with hardly a news story. Let alone outrage from Mr. Forde. Decades of literal, deliberate, extreme conspiratory fraud involving hundreds of people. It's RICO worthy in the real world.

It's all a show. The FBI investigation...everything. It's a cover to prove to everyone that the NCAA is "clean," now after the masses have been jaded by the unbalanced playing field. Do people really buy the legitimacy of all of this?

It is sad how much our society has changed with no one taking responsibility for their actions. The standard reply is to lie, deny and attack the accusations. The objective is to create enough doubt so that your supporters follow along like lemmings. What ever happen to telling the truth and take the consequences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ethics died simultaneously with the advent of social media. People used to be able to go on living a life after a mistake/transgression. Now, it's basically a death sentence for not only the perptraitor, but also their family and associates.

But, come up with a good enough sob story (abused, racially profiled, some obscure disorder), and you can flip it to the perception of some kind of perverse heroism.

I'll give the media some credit when they start going after UNC, Duke, etc. the real high-level perpetrators in all of this. Kansas is just going to be the flyover scapegoat that they can point to and say they were fair to everyone.

I mean, UNC just got away with decades of sham classes at an accredited University with hardly a news story. Let alone outrage from Mr. Forde. Decades of literal, deliberate, extreme conspiratory fraud involving hundreds of people. It's RICO worthy in the real world.

It's all a show. The FBI investigation...everything. It's a cover to prove to everyone that the NCAA is "clean," now after the masses have been jaded by the unbalanced playing field. Do people really buy the legitimacy of all of this?

Yup. And yet we have folks on GH that cant come to grips with the unlevel playing field that is college athletics. Nor will they admit it here.

All the while UNC celebrates Natties in mens hoops.

Everything you wrote here is spot on. Too bad some folks blinders are on so tight they wont allow themselves to see reality.

Re the unbalanced playing field, I'm getting a kick out of the new rationalization why it's OK for the shoe companies to distribute all this money: these kids are going to go to one of these top programs anyway, so all the payoff does is determine which one. And people are so numb to the corruption and the lack of competitive balance that they don't even bat an eye to this statement.

Re the unbalanced playing field, I'm getting a kick out of the new rationalization why it's OK for the shoe companies to distribute all this money: these kids are going to go to one of these top programs anyway, so all the payoff does is determine which one. And people are so numb to the corruption and the lack of competitive balance that they don't even bat an eye to this statement.

It would be refreshing for the gh board bb gods to really admit the un level playing field has existed for decades. Just admit it.

Yup. And yet we have folks on GH that cant come to grips with the unlevel playing field that is college athletics. Nor will they admit it here.

All the while UNC celebrates Natties in mens hoops.

Everything you wrote here is spot on. Too bad some folks blinders are on so tight they wont allow themselves to see reality.

Stalker.

There is not and has never been a level playing field but it does not mean everyone cheats. Playing it straight means not cheating. Define for me the cheating by the schools i named. What UNC goty away with is a travesty.

There is not and has never been a level playing field but it does not mean everyone cheats. Playing it straight means not cheating. Define for me the cheating by the schools i named. What UNC goty away with is a travesty.

To me, level playing field means that there are no built-in, institutional advantages for certain schools; that no matter how good of a job you do recruiting or coaching, you can't overcome the favoritism by the NCAA toward particular institutions.

Agree. In addition, schools should not be using lawyer speak to get away with blatant academic fraud like UNC did.

Your tight definition would leave very, very few if any programs in you category. Think about the ncaa rulebook and tell me again about "playing it straight". May want to reconsider your definition.

UNC didnt get away with anything. It is encouraged, and has been encouraged, for years, by the ncaa.

Come clean, SS. Dont be a victim.

:clap:

Stalker alert!

Deranged, passive-aggressive man with fantasies rushing through his head, looking to re-hash an Internet argument we had 16-17 years ago. Thinks people on GopherHole enjoy pi**ing matches. Henceforth to be referred to as "Stalker" anytime he tries to pick an Internet fight, his specialty. Still hasn't forgiven me for once uttering, "Excuses are for losers."

Stalker alert!

Deranged, passive-aggressive man with fantasies rushing through his head, looking to re-hash an Internet argument we had 16-17 years ago. Thinks people on GopherHole enjoy pi**ing matches. Henceforth to be referred to as "Stalker" anytime he tries to pick an Internet fight, his specialty. Still hasn't forgiven me for once uttering, "Excuses are for losers."

SS Victim. You have the fantasy island suite all wrapped up SS.

Still wont admit your nearly two decades old assertion about the level playing field, SS? :cool02:

Stalker alert!

If it's any consolation, I'm part of the "excuses are for losers" troop too.

Top Bottom