So what now at QB - 2019 Class?

gophers141

Reaction score
So now that Duggan has officially picked TCU and it appears Hank and PJ have mutually cooled....Who is next on our board for a QB for the 2019 class?

Cole Kramer is the QB for 2019.

We have a "battle" between a RSFr, Fr and Jr for starting QB with a solid (in-state, legacy) QB committed. We don't "need" another young QB. We can go after two next year.

PJ has said they are taking 2 QBs in 2019, and I don't think he has plans to change that just because we didn't get a specific recruit. Who that second QB will be, I have no idea.

Cole Kramer is the QB for 2019.

We have a "battle" between a RSFr, Fr and Jr for starting QB with a solid (in-state, legacy) QB committed. We don't "need" another young QB. We can go after two next year.

Correct me if I'm wrong....but Vic is considered a sophomore in terms of football for next season correct? So he has three years of eligibility. So we have RSFR, FR, & RSSO on the roster. I'm bummed about Duggan. Will be interesting to see what QB's we get attached to moving forward

We don’t necessarily need a top 10 recruit type of QB to win, although it doesn’t hurt when playing elite defenses. Good defense, a strong run game, elite special teams will take us a long ways. I don’t think we need a 6 foot 3+ tall rocket armed QB to run Ciarrocca’s offense, we need a smart QB with instincts. Is that good enough guy on the roster, or coming (Kramer)? Could be? It may end up to attract a top QB recruit (with NFL level talent) Fleck has to field some offensive weapons. Guys like CAB, Bateman, Spann-Ford if as good as we think they are can make average QBs look really good. It could be another year or two before the offense is really humming.

To summarize, I think we can win with guys like Annexstad, Morgan, Kramer, and maybe VV (will he develop as a passer - spring game didn’t allow him to show his pass game) and particularly if the other phases carry their water. However, it could be that only a few, or none of the current QBs have all the skills Fleck desires. Plenty of “more than good enough” good 3 Star college QBs out there. It will be interesting to see who they reel in.

We don’t necessarily need a top 10 recruit type of QB to win, although it doesn’t hurt when playing elite defenses. Good defense, a strong run game, elite special teams will take us a long ways. I don’t think we need a 6 foot 3+ tall rocket armed QB to run Ciarrocca’s offense, we need a smart QB with instincts. Is that good enough guy on the roster, or coming (Kramer)? Could be? It may end up to attract a top QB recruit (with NFL level talent) Fleck has to field some offensive weapons. Guys like CAB, Bateman, Spann-Ford if as good as we think they are can make average QBs look really good. It could be another year or two before the offense is really humming.

To summarize, I think we can win with guys like Annexstad, Morgan, Kramer, and maybe VV (will he develop as a passer - spring game didn’t allow him to show his pass game) and particularly if the other phases carry their water. However, it could be that only a few, or none of the current QBs have all the skills Fleck desires. Plenty of “more than good enough” good 3 Star college QBs out there. It will be interesting to see who they reel in.

This is the part that I'm not so sure is going to happen with the current D-Coordinator.

This is the part that I'm not so sure is going to happen with the current D-Coordinator.

I predict some pain this year particularly in the secondary, and treble that if Winfield has a recurrent issue (seems like they’ve allowed him sufficient time to heal though). I predict a rough year all around but hoping for signs of progress, competitive losses rather than blowouts.

But yeah, missing the prior staff making gold out of lead. I’m still holding out hope on Robb.

I have been more or less in this camp since we decided to play Coughlin at R-end, although I am not sure that is fair. I have no problem with this defensive concept against passing teams, it actually is not that different than what Claeys was trying to do, other than the R-end lining up a lot closer than Claeys' Wide 9 d-end did. I think this D will be fine against half of our opponents, but not against scUM and MSU when we play them, Wisconsin or, Iowa. I also think Claeys' defense suffered from the same problem; i.e. against really good running teams it was too dependent on LBs and Safetys filling holes perfectly. The difference was Claeys had at least one real DE playing at DE. Last year we did not have a real B1G sized DE playing until Umlor was played in the second half of the season. We still got trampled up front, but at least it showed Robb S understood that the lineup he was using was literally just outmanned against power running teams.
The college game is now so diverse that no single defensive lineup can match every offense they play, unless they have an unbelievable kid playing R-end who can play both R-end and a conventional D-end postion. Alabama has a tough time with an offense with a really mobile, accurate QB and they have 4 or 5 defensive draft choices every year.
The other problem is that when we do not move the ball, our weaknesses are multiplied by the other teams increase in opportunities. I am not saying our defensive problems were just a function of a bad offense, but it made it a lot worse. Given how bad our offense was the last 3 games, I thought our D held up way better than I thought they would playing without experienced DEs and against power teams. I was literally not sure why Wisconsin, MSU and Michigan passed against us. They could have won without throwing once, the physical mismatch was that bad.

Hopefully, Zack is that guy. That's what I think I saw in the spring game...potentially, maybe ha in 17 plays or whatever..

I am curious if this will hurt us or not in recruiting Benhart or Carroll? I would think offensive linemen would want to play with a top flight QB.

If all the supporting casts - Defense, Special Teams, OLs, WRs & TEs improve/continue to improve, I also think we can win with serviceable QBs.

Work closely with and develop the QBs we have. VV - if the Gophers can get him to replicate his feat at JC, he'll be like a Mitch Leidner who can also throw passes and become difficult for defenses. I don't know what his hangup is, but I bet with a little patience and encouragement he can prosper. What little I saw of him in practice and in the Spring Game it seems like he is playing tight and is putting a lot of pressure on himself by thinking too much. He needs to relax and just let the game flow naturally.

I know that PJ said that he wanted to bring in two QBs, but I don't think it's a necessity. I would be totally fine with recruiting a second QB to this class, but I don't think it's priority. Our depth will be OK at this position, it might not even be outside the realm of possibility that we add another JuCo QB (if either Morgan or Vic transfers)

If all the supporting casts - Defense, Special Teams, OLs, WRs & TEs improve/continue to improve, I also think we can win with serviceable QBs.

Work closely with and develop the QBs we have. VV - if the Gophers can get him to replicate his feat at JC, he'll be like a Mitch Leidner who can also throw passes and become difficult for defenses. I don't know what his hangup is, but I bet with a little patience and encouragement he can prosper. What little I saw of him in practice and in the Spring Game it seems like he is playing tight and is putting a lot of pressure on himself by thinking too much. He needs to relax and just let the game flow naturally.

After that spring game performance by him, he is nowhere near what Mitch was as a runner or passer. Granted that was only one instance when I have actually seen him play, but he will have to improve dramatically to get and surpass ML territory.

So we don't need a high-end QB recruit all of the sudden?

People have been pissing and moaning on these boards for years about getting a high-end QB. Then, when Fleck whiffs we don't need one?

The big deal on Fleck in the beginning for the Fleckites was that he was going to get high-end QB recruits on here and that's what will get us to the next level. Now we're back to the power-run/defense approach that wasn't good for the same people under the previous regime....and we're praying for Robb Smith to somehow field a brilliant defense, which is about as unlikely as me marrying Marilyn Monroe.

We can at least pretend not to be unreasonably biased, can't we?

People have been pissing and moaning on these boards for years about getting a high-end QB. Then, when Fleck whiffs we don't need one?

The big deal on Fleck in the beginning for the Fleckites was that he was going to get high-end QB recruits on here and that's what will get us to the next level. Now we're back to the power-run/defense approach that wasn't good for the same people under the previous regime....and we're praying for Robb Smith to somehow field a brilliant defense, which is about as unlikely as me marrying Marilyn Monroe.

We need good QB play which isn't always related to QB rankings. Our success won't hinge on one player or especially one recruit

Not bias, just truth

I'd love find a drew Brees but it's not like it's only thing that'll save us

I understand your intent, but you are overstating the case. if anyone thought Fleck could come in and just change everything they were/are dreaming. On the other hand he has improved our recruiting a lot and most college teams, even good ones, do not have great QBs.
Personally, I did not expect a string of QBs coming in with NFL arms, but that is what it appears to me he was shooting for with the first group he offered. I don't think Morgan has a strong arm, maybe strong enough to at least keep teams more honest. The rest do have arms strong enough to be starting B1G QBs and even hit deep passes with development.

I'm just happy we're going into this season with two QBs who can both pass and run better than Mitch. We shouldn't be 120th in the nation this year in either passing or total offense.

I'm just happy we're going into this season with two QBs who can both pass and run better than Mitch. We shouldn't be 120th in the nation this year in either passing or total offense.

Ok I'll bite - who of our candidate QBs runs AND passes better than ML7?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been more or less in this camp since we decided to play Coughlin at R-end, although I am not sure that is fair. I have no problem with this defensive concept against passing teams, it actually is not that different than what Claeys was trying to do, other than the R-end lining up a lot closer than Claeys' Wide 9 d-end did. I think this D will be fine against half of our opponents, but not against scUM and MSU when we play them, Wisconsin or, Iowa. I also think Claeys' defense suffered from the same problem; i.e. against really good running teams it was too dependent on LBs and Safetys filling holes perfectly. The difference was Claeys had at least one real DE playing at DE. Last year we did not have a real B1G sized DE playing until Umlor was played in the second half of the season. We still got trampled up front, but at least it showed Robb S understood that the lineup he was using was literally just outmanned against power running teams.
The college game is now so diverse that no single defensive lineup can match every offense they play, unless they have an unbelievable kid playing R-end who can play both R-end and a conventional D-end postion. Alabama has a tough time with an offense with a really mobile, accurate QB and they have 4 or 5 defensive draft choices every year.
The other problem is that when we do not move the ball, our weaknesses are multiplied by the other teams increase in opportunities. I am not saying our defensive problems were just a function of a bad offense, but it made it a lot worse. Given how bad our offense was the last 3 games, I thought our D held up way better than I thought they would playing without experienced DEs and against power teams. I was literally not sure why Wisconsin, MSU and Michigan passed against us. They could have won without throwing once, the physical mismatch was that bad.

Very well said. Claeys' defenses performed better, but had the same problems in the middle against power-running teams. Losing Elmore kind of put us behind the 8-ball last season.

I give credit to Fleck for going after some very highly rated QBs. He is going to eventually land one and in the meantime, I think the three current QBs should be an overall upgrade (top to bottom) over the last few years.
I am concerned about Vic picking up the offense and on his passing, but I do think he could be a dynamic runner if he improves enough to get an opportunity.

I give credit to Fleck for going after some very highly rated QBs. He is going to eventually land one and in the meantime, I think the three current QBs should be an overall upgrade (top to bottom) over the last few years.
I am concerned about Vic picking up the offense and on his passing, but I do think he could be a dynamic runner if he improves enough to get an opportunity.

Fleck was "close" on a couple this year. At least we got a sniff I guess.
What's tough is he needs to maintain a high level recruiting class to maintain the upswing and keep momentum going.

I'm wondering if the thought coming into this season was that Vic would play and Annexstad would reshirt, but opinions might have switched based on where they are at right now.
Or Vic will relax a bit and get a grasp for things and everything will be okay.

Fleck was "close" on a couple this year. At least we got a sniff I guess.
What's tough is he needs to maintain a high level recruiting class to maintain the upswing and keep momentum going.

I'm wondering if the thought coming into this season was that Vic would play and Annexstad would reshirt, but opinions might have switched based on where they are at right now.
Or Vic will relax a bit and get a grasp for things and everything will be okay.

Yeah I think you are right on the hope being that Vic would play this year. He is not a traditional passer and I get the feeling they want to make the offense more dynamic when it comes to passing.
It’s not easy turning Minnesota into a premier destination based on our history, but the new facilities and Fleck’s salesmanship gives the program the best shot to land big time players in a long time.

Top Bottom