So what now at QB - 2019 Class?

Mertz committed to Wisconsin 2.5 months before Kramer committed to Minnesota.

Cole Kramer (0.8266, DUAL 6'1" 180 lbs) made an unofficial visit with the Gophers on 2/16/17.

Then he camped with the Gophers which Graham Mertz (0.9129, PRO 6'3" 205 lbs) also attended on 7/29/17.

I'd venture to speculate that the Gophers gave Kramer a silent verbal possibly between the time of camp and his unofficial visit to MN on 9/17/17. Kramer may have wanted to look around a little. On 12/15/17, he declares the Gophers the front runner. He then commits on 12/21/17, and shuts down his recruiting. In the end, he truly wanted to be a Golden Gopher.

Mertz was offered on 10/4/17 and would have known about Kramer's silent offer. Mertz declared at that time that whichever school he committed to he want to be the sole QB in the class. So, he committed to WI on 10/8/17.

There is a lot of speculation that Mertz may still flip to another school. He hasn't shut down his recruiting. Guess what, on 4/26/18 the Badgers got a commitment from Marcus Graham (0.8111), a 6'0" 175-lb Dual Threat QB from N.C. Even if the Gophers got a commitment from him, the likelihood of him bolting for greener pastures is high.

Cole Kramer Timeline:
2/19/17 - UV to MN
6/17/17 - Attends MSU School Camp
6/25/17 - Attends Hawkeyes School Camp
7/29/17 - Attends Gophers School Camp
9/16/17 - UV to MN
10/21/17 - UV to NDSU
10/28/17 - UV to Iowa
12/15/17 - Names MN the leader
12/21/17 - Commits to MN
Kramer shuts down his recruiting

Graham Mertz Timeline:
2/19/17 - UV to MN (Same as Kramer)
7/29/17 - Attends Gophers School Camp (Same as Kramer)
9/16/17 - UV to MN (Same as Kramer)
9/23/17 - UV to OSU Cowboys
9/30/17 - UV to WI
10/4/17 - MN offers
10/8/17 - Commits to WI
12/17/17 - MI offers
1/12/18 - Coach visit, Harbaugh
1/17/17 - tOSU offers
1/21/18 - Ole Miss offers
1/24/18 - Mizzou offers
1/31/18 - GA offers
2/5/18 - ASU offers
2/6/18 - OSU Cowboys offers
2/19/18 - ALA offers
2/22/18 - Tenn offers
2/25/18 - UV to WI
2/26/18 - TAMU offers
3/1/18 - Oregon offers
4/18/18 - ND offers.

Mertz committed to Wisconsin 2.5 months before Kramer committed to Minnesota.
MN made it known early they were targeting 2 QBs for 2019. That is when Mertz moved on.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

MN made it known early they were targeting 2 QBs for 2019. That is when Mertz moved on.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

All this talk comes from the 247 mods, but they predicted he'd be going to Minnesota right after the Gophers offered, just 4 days before he committed to Wisconsin:

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitu...-Valley-North-189948/CurrentExpertPredictions

When exactly did the Gophers make it known they were targeting 2 QBs? Oct 7?

Even if you assume that Mertz would have been a Gopher had the staff not been intent on getting 2 QBs, I'm not sure that looks very smart. If Mertz is as good as all these schools think he is, and given all the young QB depth, it would seem a mistake to not just take 1 top flight QB.

All this talk comes from the 247 mods, but they predicted he'd be going to Minnesota right after the Gophers offered, just 4 days before he committed to Wisconsin:

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitu...-Valley-North-189948/CurrentExpertPredictions

When exactly did the Gophers make it known they were targeting 2 QBs? Oct 7?

Even if you assume that Mertz would have been a Gopher had the staff not been intent on getting 2 QBs, I'm not sure that looks very smart. If Mertz is as good as all these schools think he is, and given all the young QB depth, it would seem a mistake to not just take 1 top flight QB.

Is it possible that was revealed on the 9/16/17 UV to MN by both him and Kramer?

Nope. I'm thinking it was 10 minutes into our first spring practice.......just sayin'....

There's absolutely nothing in the timeline posted above that even implies Mertz committed because the Gophers told him that they planned to take 2 QBs. In fact, considering he committed just a bit after visiting Wisconsin, the timeline itself looks like he just took his visits and decided.

THe idea that he didn't want to be part of a 2 QB class and that Kramer had something to do with it is completely a result of thoughts from the 247 mods, unless someone has some other reason to believe that. And yet, on the day the Gophers offered (Oct 4) they crystal balled Mertz to Minnesota AND wrote these things:

He also holds a Wisconsin offer, but I believe Minnesota is the school to beat.

Also, this says NOTHING about how Minnesota feels about Hank Bachmeier. Both Mertz and Bachmeier know that Minnesota would take both them both.

They'd take either Duggan or Mertz to pair with Hank

They'd be down for a combination of Bachmeier, Mertz and Duggan. As I type this tonight, that's realistic.

I also think that Cole Kramer has a shot, if Minnesota doesn't land two of the three above by the end of next spring.

I'd normally not post VIP stuff from the 247 board, but it's 6 months old at this point.

On October 8, AFTER the commitment, Ryan James wrote:

Didn't see this one coming. Wow.

Found it odd that Mertz went from responding immediately for months, to once he received his Minnesota offer, it went silent.

I'm not under the impression that a potential two QB class for Minnesota was a bad thing, as he'd known since camp that it was Minnesota's plan to do so, but that Wisconsin visit really must have blown him away.

Then he finally wrote:

From digging into it further this morning, I think being "thee" guy for Wisconsin meant something, that being in a two QB class at Minnesota couldn't provide.

https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Board/104587/Contents/2019-QB-Graham-Mertz-offered-108408163

To me, that reads a lot like the typically optimistic mods there telling their customers that the Gophers were going to get a recruit and then 4 days later having to explain why they were wrong.

None of this really matters, but I just found the whole thing funny, especially since now everyone just takes it as fact that Mertz would have been a Gopher if not for Kramer. Last post from me on the subject.

Bachmaeir, Mertz, AND Duggan “realistic”? Hmmm. Those of you that want want nonstop Kool-aid...wake up wake up.

Bachmaeir, Mertz, AND Duggan “realistic”? Hmmm. Those of you that want want nonstop Kool-aid...wake up wake up.

I read "a combination of Bachmeier, Mertz and Duggan" as some combination of 2 out of the 3.

We have been exorcised, de-hypnotized. Just the Facts have set us free. :p

I think looking at the timeline, he chose Wisky after visiting there. I really don't think that a 4 star recruit who was invited to the Elite 11 competition is worried about a 3 star recruit also being signed.
We are wishful thinking that we were in the mix for him but as of yet even OSU and Bama hasn't got him to de-commit. Maybe he just really liked Wisconsin. I am holding out hope we get Hank.

Ok, so even I have to say that is a slight step down from the other QB’s that we have had visiting.

That was my initial thought as well. He is rated higher than Kramer though. Curious why we don't go after other non-committed QB's though, like the IMG guy rated 13th (borderline 4-star). You'd think we'd have a bit of a pull after recent IMG commits?

Kramer is way underrated. That said, I would take as many IMGs as we can get. Any and every position.

Father is a former Texas Longhorn QB and NFL QB, played six man until sophomore year. Intriguing.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IkgzilAShv4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Based on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tend to agree actually. Having seen some of his game tape and heard word from different high school coaches, the kid has a ton of talent. He's got a live arm, and is a good athlete. He just doesn't get a lot of chances to showcase it in Ede Prairie's offense. But, the times that they have asked him to make a play, he has delivered in spades.

This is how I would approach the 2019 QB situation: 1. Keep in frequent contact with Hank. Much can happen before NSD. 2. If PJ still wants 2 QB's, identify 4 QB's in the 8.4 to 8.5 area who don't have many Power 5 offers. Offer them and/or keep in serious contact. They've already offered 2 of my 4---McIvor and Clark. I would add Peyton Thompson of Tulsa and Jackson Walker of Memphis. Based on what little info I have, I'm especially interested in McIvor and Thompson. 3. Use the satellite camps to scour those areas for a QB with great potential. I have no way to know how Kramer actually compares to the others; but it's too early for me to worry about our 2019 QB recruits.

This is how I would approach the 2019 QB situation: 1. Keep in frequent contact with Hank. Much can happen before NSD. 2. If PJ still wants 2 QB's, <b>identify 4 QB's in the 8.4 to 8.5 area who don't have many Power 5 offers. </b>Offer them and/or keep in serious contact. They've already offered 2 of my 4---McIvor and Clark. I would add Peyton Thompson of Tulsa and Jackson Walker of Memphis. Based on what little info I have, I'm especially interested in McIvor and Thompson. 3. Use the satellite camps to scour those areas for a QB with great potential. I have no way to know how Kramer actually compares to the others; but it's too early for me to worry about our 2019 QB recruits.

So, you suggest PJ narrow his search to QBs that some recruiting site ranked high and few P5 schools had interest in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fleck sure seems to be making his mark as a recruiter. Would not worry too much about the QB ranking as it seems like UW has won a ton of games with 3 star QB's.

What date should I put on my calendar to check back on PJ’s QB plan and decide to panic or not?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom