Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
  1. Default

We offered another QB. Jacob Clark, out of Texas.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

In a down year, college football teams are scrambling to land QB recruits. Let’s keep track as 2019 QB dominoes fall.

The quarterback recruit crop for 2019 is lacking in elite talent. That’s tough if your school needs to land one.

By Bud Elliott Apr 19, 2018, 11:19am EDT

Quarterback is the most important position in football. Most college programs want to carry four on scholarship, which means most schools will sign a QB every year.

Typically, only about 20 are rated four- or five-stars, so demand for elite QBs far outpaces supply. And teams usually do not move on from their No. 1 targets to accept a commitment from another until it is clear they are out of the running for their first choice. Lesser-rated recruits know this.

Given that teams rarely rotate quarterbacks, a top QB will often want to reserve his spot with the school of his choice. QB is also the noted position of leadership, so a committed QB often become a class’ lead recruiter.

Every year, we track the dominoes as they fall. QB1 picks school A, so School B moves on to QB2 as School C moves on to QB3. But then QB1 decommits from School A, and the cycle is thrown into chaos.

2019, though, seems a little different. The 2018 class was loaded with elite quarterbacks. Comparatively, the 2019 class looked a little light. And that was before JT Daniels, the No. 1 overall 2019 player, decided to skip his senior season and enroll at USC a year early. Now, the 2019 QB class is really lacking elites.

And that means teams who really need QBs are scrambling, while those who might not have such a need are considering waiting for 2020.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...class-dominoes
    Character assassinator

Quote Originally Posted by Lordshawesome View Post

Thanks for arriving to the party that everyone else has left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lordshawesome View Post

Interesting he's not much higher than Kramer. It will be interesting to see how he does at those camps as that could elevate his rankings for sure and we might have a situation another poster alluded to in that he may end up being a very good get.

Quote Originally Posted by NotAFanOfBecky View Post
    Interesting he's not much higher than Kramer. It will be interesting to see how he does at those camps as that could elevate his rankings for sure and we might have a situation another poster alluded to in that he may end up being a very good get.
    Couldn't the first part be said about every single kid at every single camp? Isn't the opposite also true?

Why would his ranking make him any better of a get? Same kid.

Broken now/Fixed in 2019/Comin' in 2020
    #RTB #ELITE #FAMILY #HYPRR #Culture #PayCut #Year0 #How #Happiness/Joy

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Loblaw View Post
    No, that's a horrible stance.

The short term is "we'll see".

Our highest rated QB recruit is third on the depth chart right now. We can be reasonable people and if Tanner Morgan looks OK next season, we can say things like "PJ seems to be doing a good job of building a QB". It's not unheard of for a third year SO (Morgan next season) to be a solid QB.

Why would we have to wait 5-6 years? By then, Vic and Morgan will have graduated. Annexstad will be a RS SR at best. Kramer will be a RS JR, whoever else we sign we wither be a RS SO or RS JR.

If our QB play still stinks in 3 years - - PJ deserves some criticism.
    If our QB play stinks in 4 years - we can say that PJ failed at developing QB.
    If it's still bad in 5-6 years - - he won't have a job.
    Agree but I would shorten it to say that if QB play still stinks at the end of this year and into the beginning of 2019, Fleck deserves criticism.

Little in the way of rushing stats, seems tall. Do we have a philosophy at QB? Dual or pure passer? If the Bachmeier train has rolled on then for 2019 I’d possibly roll with Kramer who looks like a nice dual threat athlete with a nice delivery and solid arm. The only thing he seems to give up to Jacobs in terms of quarterbacking ability is three inches.
    Character assassinator

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    Little in the way of rushing stats, seems tall. Do we have a philosophy at QB? Dual or pure passer? If the Bachmeier train has rolled on then for 2019 I’d possibly roll with Kramer who looks like a nice dual threat athlete with a nice delivery and solid arm. The only thing he seems to give up to Jacobs in terms of quarterbacking ability is three inches.
    It is not the size (ht), it is what you can do. We've got between now and the 1st NSD in December to see how the QB recruiting is turning. IMHO, Kramer is a good get.
    "I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion." -Muhammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by hungan1 View Post
    It is not the size (ht), it is what you can do. We've got between now and the 1st NSD in December to see how the QB recruiting is turning. IMHO, Kramer is a good get.
    That’s what I’m saying, Kramer looks really good. I’d be comfortable as him as the 2019 QB. The JC offer seems like a slightly weird one as he isn’t a dual threat and doesn’t seem to have the upper echelon zip on his arm of a Max Duggan, or others. If Kramer is a quick learner/smart he could develop into the proverbial diamond in the rough. I’m not worried about height.
    Character assassinator

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    That’s what I’m saying, Kramer looks really good. I’d be comfortable as him as the 2019 QB. The JC offer seems like a slightly weird one as he isn’t a dual threat and doesn’t seem to have the upper echelon zip on his arm of a Max Duggan, or others. If Kramer is a quick learner/smart he could develop into the proverbial diamond in the rough. I’m not worried about height.
    Ryan Burns in his podcast doesn't think the Gophers needed a second QB in the 2019 class. But, Ciarrocca does.

Burns in very high on Kramer, appears to either have followed him well. He was under the radar because he played for a running team in Eden Prairie HS. We shall soon hear how he does in the Chicago UA Camp and the Elite 11 Camp in Columbus.
    Last edited by hungan1; Yesterday at 10:26 AM.
    "I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion." -Muhammad Ali

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by hungan1 View Post
    Ryan Burns in his podcast doesn't think the Gophers needed a second QB in the 2019 class. But, Ciarrocca does.

Burns in very high on Kramer, appears to either have followed him well. He was under the radar because he played for a running team in Eden Prairie HS. We shall soon hear how he does in the Chicago UA Camp and the Elite 11 Camp in Columbus.
    Not that we can wait.... but I don't think we'll know much until this season is over.

So much mystery...

12. Default

[QUOTE=Spoofin;1539959]Couldn't the first part be said about every single kid at every single camp? Isn't the opposite also true?

[QUOTE=Spoofin;1539959]Couldn't the first part be said about every single kid at every single camp? Isn't the opposite also true?

Yep that certainly is true Spoof. I was thinking more along the lines of these camps have them going against "the best" of prospects rather than just a bunch of kids and a few prospects here or there on a high school team. I personally think he's good enough to be our QB for the class but I know a lot of folks here are pretty bummed we missed out on Duggan but we don't really know how good Kramer is. I look at offers so I definitely think Duggan is the better prospect but I think the local kid could be sneaky good. That's why I think he could be a good get, not because of his camp performance.

Yep that certainly is true Spoof. I was thinking more along the lines of these camps have them going against "the best" of prospects rather than just a bunch of kids and a few prospects here or there on a high school team. I personally think he's good enough to be our QB for the class but I know a lot of folks here are pretty bummed we missed out on Duggan but we don't really know how good Kramer is. I look at offers so I definitely think Duggan is the better prospect but I think the local kid could be sneaky good. That's why I think he could be a good get, not because of his camp performance.
    Cool. I just don't get wrapped up in rankings (at all). If the coaches want a kid and the kid wants to come here - that is good enough for me. I like your take on the bolded part - but what do I know?

Broken now/Fixed in 2019/Comin' in 2020
    #RTB #ELITE #FAMILY #HYPRR #Culture #PayCut #Year0 #How #Happiness/Joy