Rand: Gophers AD Mark Coyle preaches preparedness in his coaching searches

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Rand:

Gophers athletic director Mark Coyle is not the most dynamic speaker or a dominant personality, but the man knows how to play to his strengths.

Chief among them is preparation, particularly when it comes to coaching searches — and that attribute is setting Minnesota up to win. Talking to reporters after the introduction Friday of his latest high-profile hire — new women’s basketball coach Lindsay Whalen — Coyle explained his process without patting himself on the back.

“I like to be very prepared. I have a short list of coaches. If you came to my house in St. Paul, I can open up a desk drawer and I’ve got green files of every sport, coaches we want to go after,” Coyle said. “We constantly update that list because you never know when something is going to happen. When something happens, I believe you have to go quickly.”

Those last two sentiments are important because in college sports, and particularly at Minnesota, it seems as though something always happens. And past searches under his predecessors have not always been so smooth or quick.

Coyle has hired six head coaches in less than two years as AD, including three of the school’s highest-profile programs.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...paredness-in-his-coaching-searches/479828043/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom