16 of top 18 on defense third year or more?

swingman

Reaction score
Fourth year senior Huff, Fourth year junior Williamson, fourth year senior Shenault, third year junior Winfield, third year sophs Kiondre and Swenson. Frosh dbs may have redshirts pulled

Fourth year senior Cashman, third year juniors Martin and Barber, fourth year senior Huff. True frosh Rush and Oliver may get redshirts pulled.

Fifth year senior Moore, Fifth year junior OJ Smith, soph Umlor, fourth year junior Royal Silver.

Third year juniors Coughlin and Devers, fourth year junior DeLattiboudere, second year frosh Otomewo.

13 of 22 top guys on offense third year or older. Maybe 7 of 11 starters on offense will be third year or older?

Fifth year seniors Greene and Weyler, fourth year juniors Dovich and Oseland, juco junior Dickson in fifth year out of high school, third year sophs Olson and Schlueter, redshirt frosh Schmitz and Andries, frosh Faalele.

Fourth year junior Beebe and third year soph Kieft.

Fifth year senior running back Smith, second year frosh running back Ibrahim.

Redshirt frosh Morgan, third year soph Viramontes, frosh Annexstad.

Third year junior Johnson, second year frosh Bell and Douglas, third year soph Howard, frosh Bateman.

Morgan, Smith, Johnson, Bell, Douglas, Beebe, Greene, Olson, Weyler, Andries, Dickson.

Fifth year kicker Carpenter, fourth year punter Herbers, fifth year snapper Jordahl.

We don’t have an upperclassmen qb on the roster, or a qb that has ever thrown a d-1 pass.

After Rodney, we don’t have a running back that has a d-1 rushing attempt (maybe JFC has 2-3?)

Our head coach said we will be playing 3 freshmen wide receivers.

Doesn’t Winfield have thee years left?

We don’t have an upperclassmen qb on the roster, or a qb that has ever thrown a d-1 pass.

After Rodney, we don’t have a running back that has a d-1 rushing attempt (maybe JFC has 2-3?)

Our head coach said we will be playing 3 freshmen wide receivers.

Aren't QB, RB, and WR all on offense. Isn't the title of this thread discussing experience about defense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aren't QB, RB, and WR all on offense. Isn't the title of this thread discussing experience about defense?

Maybe you should try reading the post.

Doesn’t Winfield have thee years left?

It’s expected that he will receive a medical redshirt for last season, but I don’t believe it’s official yet.

Maybe you should try reading the post.

It says 16/18 on D & 13/22 on O have more experience than being pimped. I would say it was far less selective and far more balanced than the response it received.

Any good cult leader will tell you that rule number one is there is no such thing as objective truth. Only the truth from the leader.

So you can post all this stuff about records, wins, and losses and age of players you want, but that cannot change that this is a tear down rebuild job and we are a young team perhaps the likes which have never been seen in college sports.

Any good cult leader will tell you that rule number one is there is no such thing as objective truth. Only the truth from the leader.

So you can post all this stuff about records, wins, and losses and age of players you want, but that cannot change that this is a tear down rebuild job and we are a young team perhaps the likes which have never been seen in college sports.

They are still learning a new culture, so last year, everyone was a true freshman. Since year 0 doesn't count, they are actually all true freshmen again. But, if even the RS Seniors are true freshmen, then the actual underclassmen are like high school freshman and sophomores. That is why we are the youngest, most inexperienced team in NCAA history. Nobody can expect to win games if you have to run a bunch of 15 and 16 year olds out on the field.
Any game we win should be celebrated as a miracle and exceeding expectations. If we don't win a game, we should consult PJ's chart showing how improvement goes up and down, and remember that we aren't going to sacrifice the culture for wins. Row the Boat!

They are still learning a new culture, so last year, everyone was a true freshman. Since year 0 doesn't count, they are actually all true freshmen again. But, if even the RS Seniors are true freshmen, then the actual underclassmen are like high school freshman and sophomores. That is why we are the youngest, most inexperienced team in NCAA history. Nobody can expect to win games if you have to run a bunch of 15 and 16 year olds out on the field.
Any game we win should be celebrated as a miracle and exceeding expectations. If we don't win a game, we should consult PJ's chart showing how improvement goes up and down, and remember that we aren't going to sacrifice the culture for wins. Row the Boat!

I really enjoyed this post. Well done! I'm sure others will agree.

Mason team won 10 games so I guess he was the best football coach Minnesota has had since 1967? Jerry Kill won 29 games over his Minnesota career and won Big Ten coach of the year. Imagine how pathetic the voters viewed Minnesota when a coach wins 8 games and beats out a coach that won the national championship. Mind boggling. Coyle should have brought back Mason. A proven winner at Minnesota. Instead he hires a hyper football coach that lost seven games with a great squad of players. Look how many went the NFL combine for heavens sake. If Mr. Hyper can't win 10 games this season then he is not worth keeping!!!

Excellent!! ?

Doesn't PJ know that he inherited one of the top college football programs in America? A team that is a perennial Rose Bowl contender, with multiple top-10 finishes in the last 10 years? He has an administration that makes football a priority, and has had some of the top facilities in the country for the past decade. We've been more than willing to pay head and assistant coaches top dollar to keep them here.

We have a plethora of in-state talent each year, where there are 5-10 quality recruits that we don't offer because we just can't take them. We have consistently won recruiting battles against some of the top programs in the country, and recruits have felt compelled to commit early for fear of missing out. We've been dominating our rivals, I don't think Wisconsin has beaten us for what, 13 years? We also consistently beat Iowa and the other good Big Ten teams.

PJ also inherited a program free from scandals. Kill and Claeys ran a squeaky clean program, with no suspensions or issues to speak of. Thank goodness there was no negative publicity. We've also been an NFL stepping stone. Multiple QBs have been drafted and are in the NFL, and we get o-line drafted practically every year. The team PJ inherited was so talented that we had 10 guys in the NFL combine, and are expecting 7-8 players to be drafted by the end of this month.

Like I said, PJ walked into a gold mine, and if he can't get 9 wins this season, it's time for a change to bring in someone that can carry on the proud tradition that we've had for the past 50 years. /s

Let me elaborate further on our unbelievable depth:

QB: We don’t have an upperclassmen qb on the roster, or a qb that has ever thrown a d-1 pass.

RB: After Rodney, we don’t have a running back that has a d-1 rushing attempt (maybe JFC has 2-3?)

WR: Our head coach said we will be playing 3 freshmen wide receivers. We have no seniors, and TJ is the only one who has any significant accomplishments.

TE: Beebe and Kieft have limited experience. Beebe has been injured consistently. We will have to turn to freshmen Paulson and likely Spann-Ford.

OL: Greene and Weyler are the seniors. 3 other likely starters are underclassmen (Olson, Andries, Schlueter). If Weyler can't get over his injuries, we likely start another freshmen (John Michael Schmitz) at center. That would be 2 freshmen and 2 soph's on the o-line. Maybe Jason Dickson comes in June and beats out Schlueter, but he's not even on campus yet.

DT: Moore has good experience. Outside of that, we will be playing Silver, Smith and Umlor. Umlor is new to the position, Smith hasn't played meaningful college snaps, and Silver has only played at the JUCO level. Only 1 of the 4 has ever played a snap at DT for the Gophers.

DE: Coughlin will be playing on one side, and probably Otomewo on the other. A LB playing out of position and a redshirt freshmen who has never played.

LB: by far the strongest starting unit with regards to experience for the starters. Barber, Martin and Cashman all have played a lot and are solid contributors.

CB: Shenault is solid and has a lot of experience. Outside of that, our options are Williamson (an unknown transfer), Thomas (limited experience coming off an injury), Durr (played 2 games in his career coming off an injury), and other freshmen like Rey Ester, Justus Harris. I'm cure that at least one of the true freshman will need to play.

S: Good experience with Huff and Winfield.

Doesn't PJ know that he inherited one of the top college football programs in America? A team that is a perennial Rose Bowl contender, with multiple top-10 finishes in the last 10 years? He has an administration that makes football a priority, and has had some of the top facilities in the country for the past decade. We've been more than willing to pay head and assistant coaches top dollar to keep them here.

We have a plethora of in-state talent each year, where there are 5-10 quality recruits that we don't offer because we just can't take them. We have consistently won recruiting battles against some of the top programs in the country, and recruits have felt compelled to commit early for fear of missing out. We've been dominating our rivals, I don't think Wisconsin has beaten us for what, 13 years? We also consistently beat Iowa and the other good Big Ten teams.

PJ also inherited a program free from scandals. Kill and Claeys ran a squeaky clean program, with no suspensions or issues to speak of. Thank goodness there was no negative publicity. We've also been an NFL stepping stone. Multiple QBs have been drafted and are in the NFL, and we get o-line drafted practically every year. The team PJ inherited was so talented that we had 10 guys in the NFL combine, and are expecting 7-8 players to be drafted by the end of this month.

Like I said, PJ walked into a gold mine, and if he can't get 9 wins this season, it's time for a change to bring in someone that can carry on the proud tradition that we've had for the past 50 years. /s

Year Zero!

Just win PJ........

Let me elaborate further on our unbelievable depth:

QB: We don’t have an upperclassmen qb on the roster, or a qb that has ever thrown a d-1 pass.

RB: After Rodney, we don’t have a running back that has a d-1 rushing attempt (maybe JFC has 2-3?)

WR: Our head coach said we will be playing 3 freshmen wide receivers. We have no seniors, and TJ is the only one who has any significant accomplishments.

TE: Beebe and Kieft have limited experience. Beebe has been injured consistently. We will have to turn to freshmen Paulson and likely Spann-Ford.

OL: Greene and Weyler are the seniors. 3 other likely starters are underclassmen (Olson, Andries, Schlueter). If Weyler can't get over his injuries, we likely start another freshmen (John Michael Schmitz) at center. That would be 2 freshmen and 2 soph's on the o-line. Maybe Jason Dickson comes in June and beats out Schlueter, but he's not even on campus yet.

DT: Moore has good experience. Outside of that, we will be playing Silver, Smith and Umlor. Umlor is new to the position, Smith hasn't played meaningful college snaps, and Silver has only played at the JUCO level. Only 1 of the 4 has ever played a snap at DT for the Gophers.

DE: Coughlin will be playing on one side, and probably Otomewo on the other. A LB playing out of position and a redshirt freshmen who has never played.

LB: by far the strongest starting unit with regards to experience for the starters. Barber, Martin and Cashman all have played a lot and are solid contributors.

CB: Shenault is solid and has a lot of experience. Outside of that, our options are Williamson (an unknown transfer), Thomas (limited experience coming off an injury), Durr (played 2 games in his career coming off an injury), and other freshmen like Rey Ester, Justus Harris. I'm cure that at least one of the true freshman will need to play.

S: Good experience with Huff and Winfield.

Sounds like hedging.......

PJ is lucky to have you.
Now, can we get back to the thread topic of whether we are or aren't as inexperienced as PJ is saying? I'm not sure if anything in your post has anything to do with that. Hopefully the mods just delete it.

PJ is lucky to have you.
Now, can we get back to the thread topic of whether we are or aren't as inexperienced as PJ is saying? I'm not sure if anything in your post has anything to do with that. Hopefully the mods just delete it.

But you loved the other post that had nothing to do with the OP. Maybe because it was a knock on PJ? Seriously, find a new hobby...

But you loved the other post that had nothing to do with the OP. Maybe because it was a knock on PJ? Seriously, find a new hobby...

You mean the post that talked about experience and age? Sarcastic, yes, but still on topic. Try it sometime JG - your agenda is old.

JG is right. When trying to make an argument, even something that appears to be a real attempt at the facts would be more convincing. It's okay to not like the way PJ coaches, talks, positions the program. But he did not inherit a solid program. The team JK built started slipping when he became ill trying to do his job and Teague's, and slipped a lot more after TC took over. If PJ had not been hired TC's last class would have put us so far in the hole we would have been looking at last place in the West for multiple years.

JG is right. When trying to make an argument, even something that appears to be a real attempt at the facts would be more convincing. It's okay to not like the way PJ coaches, talks, positions the program. But he did not inherit a solid program. The team JK built was turning the corner and into a solid BIG West contender when he became ill trying to do his job and Teague's, and didn’t miss a beat when TC took over. If TC had not been fired, his recruiting and coaching would have put us at the top of the West for multiple years.

FIFY

Holy strawman!

FIFY

Really? Your honest assessment is that if TC hadn't been fired, his recruiting and coaching would have put Minnesota at the top of the West for multiple years? That's quite a statement.

Let's take a look at our RS Juniors and Seniors from the 2015 draft class to see how they'll help us this year.

Antonio Shenault
Bronson Dovich
Bryce Witham
Charlie Rogers
Colton Beebe
Demry Croft
Dior Johnson
Hunter Register
Jacob Huff
James Johannesson
Jaylen Waters
Jonathan Femi-Cole
Julian Huff
Kiante Hardin
Mose Hall
Nick Connelly
Quinn Oseland
Rashad Still
Ray Buford
Shannon Brooks
Ted Stieber
Tyler Moore
Winston DeLattiboudere
Zo Craighton

Who are we expecting big things from this year?

Let's take a look at our RS Juniors and Seniors from the 2015 draft class to see how they'll help us this year.

Antonio Shenault
Bronson Dovich
Bryce Witham
Charlie Rogers
Colton Beebe
Demry Croft
Dior Johnson
Hunter Register
Jacob Huff
James Johannesson
Jaylen Waters
Jonathan Femi-Cole
Julian Huff
Kiante Hardin
Mose Hall
Nick Connelly
Quinn Oseland
Rashad Still
Ray Buford
Shannon Brooks
Ted Stieber
Tyler Moore
Winston DeLattiboudere
Zo Craighton

Who are we expecting big things from this year?

So, the standard we should be using we judging "experienced" players is "experienced = 4th/5th year".

To answer your question though:
Shenault
Dovich
Witham
Beebe
Huff
Huff
Femi-Cole
Oseland
Winston

Those guys should all get quite a bit of PT. I expect big things from Femi-Cole, the Huffs, and Shenault.

So, the standard we should be using we judging "experienced" players is "experienced = 4th/5th year".

Those guys should all get quite a bit of PT. I expect big things from Femi-Cole, the Huffs, and Shenault.

I like both of the Huffs. Their roles kind of reversed last year, at least as far as playing time is concerned. I'd like to see both of them on the field a lot this year. They make plays. Good plays.

To answer your question though:
Shenault - CB
Dovich - OG
Witham
Beebe
Huff
Huff
Femi-Cole
Oseland
Winston

I don't know if it's the standard we should use.
No disrespect to any of the players but few of them were key contributors as RS-Soph / juniors (during a rough season).

I think positions where it's helpful to have senior leadership would be:

1. QB
2. D-Line / O-Line
3. WR's

This class is thin in those areas.

Really? Your honest assessment is that if TC hadn't been fired, his recruiting and coaching would have put Minnesota at the top of the West for multiple years? That's quite a statement.

Prove my statement wrong...oh that's right you can't, just like you can't prove that TC would have taken us to last place. I'm all for PJ, but don't like when the previous staff gets ripped for the future, which they are not part of. In the one year TC was coach the team won 9 games. I am of the belief and because he is a very intelligent man, that TC learned an awful lot of what it takes to be a HC and would have been a great one for us had he been given the chance to do so, not only on the field in the win loss column, but also off the field as well.

PJ is our coach. He has had one year to show his stuff. On the field last year he showed nothing that leads me to believe he is going to take us to the top of the West. This coming fall he has another chance to show if he has what it takes at the BIG level and can build a champion. Off the field his recruiting has been an improvement when it comes to class rankings and that is all we have to go on at the moment. He has also, been good about promoting the program and having players doing the right things off the field. I like how the spring game was run this year. I am hopeful he can be a great leader of a consistent winning program. We as Gopher fans have been waiting a long time for that to happen.

Prove my statement wrong...oh that's right you can't, just like you can't prove that TC would have taken us to last place. I'm all for PJ, but don't like when the previous staff gets ripped for the future, which they are not part of. In the one year TC was coach the team won 9 games. I am of the belief and because he is a very intelligent man, that TC learned an awful lot of what it takes to be a HC and would have been a great one for us had he been given the chance to do so, not only on the field in the win loss column, but also off the field as well.

PJ is our coach. He has had one year to show his stuff. On the field last year he showed nothing that leads me to believe he is going to take us to the top of the West. This coming fall he has another chance to show if he has what it takes at the BIG level and can build a champion. Off the field his recruiting has been an improvement when it comes to class rankings and that is all we have to go on at the moment. He has also, been good about promoting the program and having players doing the right things off the field. I like how the spring game was run this year. I am hopeful he can be a great leader of a consistent winning program. We as Gopher fans have been waiting a long time for that to happen.

Agrees. I don't like it when a new coach has a bad year, so many of us feel the need to denigrate the previous coach with unprovable assumptions that they were going to go way downhill as a way to excuse the new coach's performance. If the new coach is a good hire, they will stand just fine on their own record, without a need to lower expectations for them.

Fleck's 2016 WMU team had 36 upper class-men. Fleck's 2018 Gophs team has 34, 33 if AWJr gets RS. Just raw numbers but still interesting given the discussion.

Top Bottom