Fleck: Whatever happened prior to me here, we knew situation we were walking into

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Fleck knew about depth

Fleck wouldn’t throw the previous coaching staff under the bus, but the numbers paint a clear picture when you look at the effect that the mass exodus of players from the 2015 recruiting class — players who would be seniors or redshirt juniors on this year’s squad — had on the depth of the Gophers when Fleck arrived.

“Whatever happened prior to me being here, we knew the situation we were walking into,” Fleck said. “That’s one thing I have continued to say, that we knew the situation we were walking into. We knew it would take time and there would be a depth issue and a numbers issue.

“The minute you go through things like that, which we went through a year and a half ago, and it might not have hurt people that particular year, but it’s going to set you back a few years when things like that happen — especially when you have that kind of attrition in one year and then you make a coaching change and bring in a whole new culture, a whole new philosophy, a whole new way of doing things. That takes time to get back. It’s not just the numbers but the change of culture.”

Looking at that 2015 class, the Gophers brought in 31 recruits, and today 13 of those players remain: Brooks, Colton Beebe, Blake Cashman, Winston DeLattiboudere, Bronson Dovich, Jonathan Femi-Cole, Jacob Herbers, Jacob Huff, Julian Huff, Matt Morse, Quinn Oseland, Antonio Shenault and Bryce Witham.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...mbers-in-p-j-fleck-s-second-season/479783193/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom