Fresno State

swingman

Reaction score
Bill Connelly preview: https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...o-state-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

Should be a good home field test for Gophs. Both coaches in year two. Tedford took over an 11 loss team and went 10-4. Beaver transfer QB Gophs beat in 2016, McMaryion, had a nice year for Bulldogs. Defensive coordinator he brought in did a nice job, but left for the CFL after season. Gophs have outrecruited Fresno five out of last five years. Gophs have a culture established of beating some similarly well regarded non-con teams like San Jose, Colorado State, MTSU.

Get ready for a real fight. Fresno State pulls a big upset or two every year.

We open on Thursday night. Fresno State opens on Saturday night, then has long flight out here. Gives us a 2.5 day advantage. Hope we get an 11 am kickoff (9 am Pacific).

Bill Connelly preview: https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...o-state-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

Should be a good home field test for Gophs. Both coaches in year two. Tedford took over an 11 loss team and went 10-4. Beaver transfer QB Gophs beat in 2016, McMaryion, had a nice year for Bulldogs. Defensive coordinator he brought in did a nice job, but left for the CFL after season. Gophs have outrecruited Fresno five out of last five years. Gophs have a culture established of beating some similarly well regarded non-con teams like San Jose, Colorado State, MTSU.

No no, both coaches in year one. We're starting at year 0 from now on.

We open on Thursday night. Fresno State opens on Saturday night, then has long flight out here. Gives us a 2.5 day advantage. Hope we get an 11 am kickoff (9 am Pacific).
...so we'll have 2.5 days to lick our wounds after experiencing Aggievision?

Tedford is a good coach. He gave Cal their best years, Fresno made a great hire. Fresno was ranked better than the gophers last year.

I'm pretty nervous about this game.

Tedford is a good coach. He gave Cal their best years, Fresno made a great hire. Fresno was ranked better than the gophers last year.

I'm pretty nervous about this game.

Yeah, this will be the best measuring stick on how things are going to go heading into the Big Ten slate. Last year Fresno probably overachieved a little bit while we underachieved. I expect both teams to begin a reversion towards their prior performances and the question is not how good Fresno will be but how good will we be? I have no idea at this time. PJ probably doesn’t know.

They apparently lost a ton of production from a pretty good defensive line. They bring back their linebackers and secondary but it stands to reason they will not be a top 15 defense again this year after suffering those losses.

This is sort of one of those no win games. It isn’t a bigger or more well known name like Boise so if we win it won’t make a lot of news, but if we lose the narrative will be we lost to a G5 team. PJ needs to find a way to win this game or my (heavyhearted) prediction of a second Bowl-less season looks far more likely.

From the link:
New coordinator Bert Watts won’t have it so easy, not without the trio of Robert Stanley, Tobenna Okeke, and Malik Forrester up front. The three combined for 32 tackles for loss, 16 sacks, five pass breakups, five forced fumbles, and more than 26 percent of Fresno’s havoc plays last year. Backups Nathan Madsen and Stephen Van Hook added eight TFLs, and they’re gone, too.

Yeah, this will be the best measuring stick on how things are going to go heading into the Big Ten slate. Last year Fresno probably overachieved a little bit while we underachieved. I expect both teams to begin a reversion towards their prior performances and the question is not how good Fresno will be but how good will we be? I have no idea at this time. PJ probably doesn’t know.

They apparently lost a ton of production from a pretty good defensive line. They bring back their linebackers and secondary but it stands to reason they will not be a top 15 defense again this year after suffering those losses.

This is sort of one of those no win games. It isn’t a bigger or more well known name like Boise so if we win it won’t make a lot of news, but if we lose the narrative will be we lost to a G5 team. PJ needs to find a way to win this game or my (heavyhearted) prediction of a second Bowl-less season looks far more likely.

From the link:
New coordinator Bert Watts won’t have it so easy, not without the trio of Robert Stanley, Tobenna Okeke, and Malik Forrester up front. The three combined for 32 tackles for loss, 16 sacks, five pass breakups, five forced fumbles, and more than 26 percent of Fresno’s havoc plays last year. Backups Nathan Madsen and Stephen Van Hook added eight TFLs, and they’re gone, too.

Based on what?

Based on what?

Not making a bowl game. losing more than we won.
Getting shut out the final two games.
We had some glimpses of success in dominating Oregon State in the 2nd half, the Neb route, the MSU 4th Q rally, but those were not enough to make the season a successful one, thus we underachieved.

Based on what?

I’m not sure if you’re serious, but considering your history I’ll assume you are.

Bill projected MN to go 7-5 and finish 47th overall in S&P+. That seemed fair considering the personnel lost, uncertainty at some positions.

P.J. Fleck’s first Minnesota team is a Big Ten West wildcard. This will be fun.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...gophers-football-2017-preview-schedule-roster

Beyond that, most fans expected around 7-6 wins based on the polling and general sentiment. There were outliers that wanted more and Cassandras on the other end.

Then, we saw the team in action and it was anything but “fun”. The defense took a step back, the offense was atrocious, there was off field culture turmoil that seemed to spill onto the field. Our ***damn placekicker even had the yips. Embarrassments vs Wisconsin, Northwester, Michigan. Losing to Purdue despite a +2 turnover advantage. A seemed determination to lose to Maryland to prove a point (I don’t know, you tell me).

To be fair, we had some injuries that cannot be foreseen. To my eye, it seemed like the problems ran deeper than that though. This year should be better.

:horse::horse::horse:

Maybe the 2017 team actually over achieved!

What??? Maybe just maybe 3 or 4 wins is all that was supposed to happen.

We'll never know will we...

:horse::horse::horse:

Maybe the 2017 team actually over achieved!

What??? Maybe just maybe 3 or 4 wins is all that was supposed to happen.

We'll never know will we...

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/11J1AZUHi5S9bi" width="480" height="204" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/han-solo-11J1AZUHi5S9bi">via GIPHY</a></p>

I’m not sure if you’re serious, but considering your history I’ll assume you are.

Bill projected MN to go 7-5 and finish 47th overall in S&P+. That seemed fair considering the personnel lost, uncertainty at some positions.

P.J. Fleck’s first Minnesota team is a Big Ten West wildcard. This will be fun.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...gophers-football-2017-preview-schedule-roster

Beyond that, most fans expected around 7-6 wins based on the polling and general sentiment. There were outliers that wanted more and Cassandras on the other end.

Then, we saw the team in action and it was anything but “fun”. The defense took a step back, the offense was atrocious, there was off field culture turmoil that seemed to spill onto the field. Our ***damn placekicker even had the yips. Embarrassments vs Wisconsin, Northwester, Michigan. Losing to Purdue despite a +2 turnover advantage. A seemed determination to lose to Maryland to prove a point (I don’t know, you tell me).

To be fair, we had some injuries that cannot be foreseen. To my eye, it seemed like the problems ran deeper than that though. This year should be better.

Depends on what you want to use. Sagarin has been dead on the last two seasons with his overall prediction. Had us as a 7/8 win team in the preseason in 16, and a 5 win team in the preseason last year. http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?77548-Sagarin-Preseason-Predicitons

Many had us as a 5-6 win team in the preseason last year. The offense was awful, but that's what happens when you have less talent at QB, WR, and the OL. Same goes for DL and DB.

I never said it was a successful season, but their record ended up pretty much where many people thought it would. I agree that they should be better, a 6-7 win team this season.

There a GH poll on predicted win totals for 2017. I can't seem to find it...can anyone else?

There a GH poll on predicted win totals for 2017. I can't seem to find it...can anyone else?

Yeah and what does that matter? We know how divided this board is, especially with people like you demanding and expecting 8+ wins last year. Any person who took an objective look at the preseason roster last year knew this team was going to take a step back.

Depends on what you want to use. Sagarin has been dead on the last two seasons with his overall prediction. Had us as a 7/8 win team in the preseason in 16, and a 5 win team in the preseason last year. http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?77548-Sagarin-Preseason-Predicitons

Many had us as a 5-6 win team in the preseason last year. The offense was awful, but that's what happens when you have less talent at QB, WR, and the OL. Same goes for DL and DB.

I never said it was a successful season, but their record ended up pretty much where many people thought it would. I agree that they should be better, a 6-7 win team this season.

The record is sometimes separate from how the team performed overall. Ball bounces the wrong way etc. Our S&P+ was dreadful and we were probably lucky we hit Oregon State and Nebraska during their historic collapses. Again, some of the injuries, the refusal to play freshmen could not be predicted and plays into how the team folded up.

Yeah and what does that matter? We know how divided this board is, especially with people like you demanding and expecting 8+ wins last year. Any person who took an objective look at the preseason roster last year knew this team was going to take a step back.

Last time I checked, 8 is a step back from 9...just sayin:p

Any person who took an objective look? That is quite an appeal to an imaginary authority.

If we win PJ will tout the win and folks will get all pissy about it just being Fresno.... sure maybe they lost players and we should beat them usually.... but the Gopher's can't overlook anyone.

If we win I'll be possibly overly pleased, but I'll take it as a win over a team ranked higher than us last year.

Granted it could be meaningless in the end if Fresno plummets as the season goes on, but I'll take it as a "big win" with a little b at that stage of the season.

Fresno St QB

Let me guess- He is a 3rd year starter who is an early Heisman candidate who had passing records 2 of the last 3 years.
If Fleck cannot find a QB in the next 3 years then put a roof on TCF and make it indoor parking for hockey.

Let me guess- He is a 3rd year starter who is an early Heisman candidate who had passing records 2 of the last 3 years.
If Fleck cannot find a QB in the next 3 years then put a roof on TCF and make it indoor parking for hockey.

Fresno did well on the strength of a very good defense and they had a decent placekicker. Based on Connelly’s preview the defense and special teams may regress while the offense will likely be better as Tedford is an offensive-minded coach and put a bunch of QBs into the NFL (to varying success).

I suspect Fresno is better than any of those San Jose, CSU, or MTSU teams we beat. San Jose St and MTSU have never been on Fresno's level, and CSU was only 7-6 the last two years we snuck by them. If Fresno is as good as last year they'll be quite a bit better than those comps.

I suspect Fresno is better than any of those San Jose, CSU, or MTSU teams we beat. San Jose St and MTSU have never been on Fresno's level, and CSU was only 7-6 the last two years we snuck by them. If Fresno is as good as last year they'll be quite a bit better than those comps.

IIRC we snuck by CSU but the refs were also reportedly pretty horrific. ... CSU fans even told me that.

GWG using phrase “... objective look...” is hilarious. He really believes he takes an objective view at PJ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom