Could a Thursday Night Spring Game Become a Minnesota Tradition?

When Should the U of M Play Their Spring Game?

• Spring games should always be on Saturdays

Votes: 36 61.0%
  • Let's make Thursday night under the lights a new tradition

Votes: 18 30.5%
  • No need to always do one of the other, lets mix it up

Votes: 5 8.5%

• Total voters

HopHead

rank lieutenant
Reaction score
I was wondering what the hardcore fan base (a.k.a. GopherHolers) thought of having the spring game played on a Thursday night. Personally, I liked it. It was unique and set us apart from other schools. I think if it was a tradition, people would be able to plan for it and the crowd might actually be pretty decent.

The one thing about Minnesotans in general is that when we do get nice weather on a Saturday in April, we get really busy with yard work, home projects, cabins, etc. I know it won't work as well for fans that have to travel longer distances, but I have to believe that is a pretty small number of the total attendees for a spring game.

Not a fan. I was there last night, but would rather have it played on Saturday around noon.

Considering the weather implications and potential attendance boost from a weekend, I think the weekend day game seems to make more sense.

What about Saturday night under the lights? Mix of both.

Spring is a busy time for yard work, etc... But, it can also be an inexpensive enjoyable family day on a Saturday for an entire family outing to watch a Gophers Spring Game.

Let's keep it on Saturdays.

It was going to be the one game I could bring my young kids to this season. I liked Saturday and don't see why we'd go away from that again unless we get another blizzard in mid-April.

If you want out of town people to come, Saturday is the day to do it. Also may be easier for recruits etc. from the outstate area as well to attend on Saturday due to sports etc., during the week.

It was going to be the one game I could bring my young kids to this season. I liked Saturday and don't see why we'd go away from that again unless we get another blizzard in mid-April.

Gopher spring games on Saturday afternoon are usually attended by a large number of families with young kids. That won't ever happen on Thursday nights.

My kid is 7 and this is his first miss. No autographs no running on the field. Sad.

The only reason it was on Thursday is because the biggest April blizzard in like a century was starting Friday afternoon. The choice was Thurs night vs. Cancel.
It isn’t ever going to be on a day other than Saturday again.

College football is a Saturday game. Play it later in April, as Nebraska does, by tweaking spring practice dates. Nebraska will have 85,000 in the stands next week.

I would have shown up on Saturday. I didn't on Thursday. The Spring Game should not be on Thursday, and neither should the Home Opener. NFL Football on Sundays with one special bonus game on Monday night used to be exciting. Now there are games every day and it is just background noise like CNN at the airport. The Big 10 is attempting to emulate this saturation by including weekday games? Big mistake.

Top Bottom