What grade would you give Mark Coyle in the hiring of Lindsay Whalen as HC?

• A

Votes: 36 78.3%
  • B

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • C

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

A+ for potential, but really it's Incomplete until she actually assembles a staff, signs recruits and coaches an actual game.

A+ from a marketing standpoint
A+ from a personality standpoint. She's a rock solid as they come.
C from a experience / program visionary standpoint

If I'm Coyle, I see if some of the other head coaches can lend experience on how to layout the program, establish a vision, and the steps to carry that through. I doubt if Whalen has binders of documents, goals, etc., outlining the vision of the program for the next 5 years.

A+ for potential, but really it's Incomplete until she actually assembles a staff, signs recruits and coaches an actual game.

I don’t see how she can juggle everything, especially as a newbie. She should just step down from the Lynx, or maybe step down mid season after Danielle Robinson gets assimilated as the new PG of the Lynx.

Impossible to give a grade at this point.

It could turn out to be a great move - or it could blow up in Coyle's face.

The move will be graded on three areas:
1. winning games
2. recruiting (especially MN kids)
3. attendance

If, 4 or 5 years from now, the Gophers are winning games, keeping the top MN players in state, and filling the barn, it's an A+ hire.

But we won't know until then. A lot hinges on the assistant coaches. Those are going to be very important hires.

Was there talk of Jim Peterson coming on as an assistant to Whalen? (thought I read somewhere on GH about them two being a good head coach/asst coach tandem.

A but have to admit that is based on her history of winning @ all levels, playing coach on the floor as the PG and playing for hall of fame coaches. I love the excitement and agree she needs a star recruiter like Muffet has with Ivey @ ND. Go Gophers !

C. I'm skeptical based of her lack of coaching experience and recruiting experience. No doubt she knows the game so I hope she proves me wrong.

I think they need to go find an assistant coach who has coached before who will run the show while Lindsay is busy.

Impossible to give a grade at this point.

It could turn out to be a great move - or it could blow up in Coyle's face.

The move will be graded on three areas:
1. winning games
2. recruiting (especially MN kids)
3. attendance

If, 4 or 5 years from now, the Gophers are winning games, keeping the top MN players in state, and filling the barn, it's an A+ hire.

But we won't know until then. A lot hinges on the assistant coaches. Those are going to be very important hires.

I'd prefer to focus in winning games. Recruiting is only useful to the extent it helps win games, in which case the coach will be rewarded for winning games. I view attendance as the marketing departments problem. If a coach is winning , and the marketers still can't sell tickets, that's on them.

Top Bottom